Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to Charlton

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
There are no direct trains from Victoria to charlton. Trust me. You might be able to get to lewisham and change onto charlton but not direct. The trains are really up the swanny on sat make sure u check b4 travelling. The away pub is the Antiguilian 1 min from Charlton station. Good luck on getting there it has been very difficult getting to se7 from sussex by train this season for me and Sat looks even worse. Cheers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There are no direct trains from Victoria to charlton. Trust me. You might be able to get to lewisham and change onto charlton but not direct. The trains are really up the swanny on sat make sure u check b4 travelling. The away pub is the Antiguilian 1 min from Charlton station. Good luck on getting there it has been very difficult getting to se7 from sussex by train this season for me and Sat looks even worse. Cheers.

According to journey planner 05 and 35 past the hour go direct. In between there are the change at Lewisham trains. Shame it's such a pain getting to Victoria saturday.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel

I've pre-booked the train and it says direct to Charlton from Vic. Where did you get your info please?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
PLACES THAT ARE SHIT FOR PUBS:

CHARLTON: Away pub is the Antigallican opposite the station, a hideous large sports bar, can be a good atmosphere when packed with travelling fans, but the pub itself is awful. Nowhere really nice to drink in Charlton itself. If you have to, the best bets are a bit of walk from the station. The Anchor & Hope is 8 mins North on the river (the Thames is pretty bleak and industrial here, so don't expect any Greenwich type riverside vibe) or the Rose of Denmark is 4-5 mins to the West, back along the direction of the railway line (towards Westcombe Park/Blackwall Tunnel) and not quite as hideous as the others. The pubs in Charlton village (ten mins uphill from the ground) tend to be home only, as is the Rose of Denmark AFTER the game.

LEWISHAM: Rough as biscuits. Very few pubs (all bad). Home to Europe's biggest police station for a reason.

PLACES THAT ARE OK FOR PUBS:

GREENWICH: The Greenwich line is closed, so getting to and from here will be more hassle that usual, but the rail replacement bus is supposed to take less than 20 mins to Charlton. There are plenty of other buses along the Trafalgar/Woolwich Road, but they're often slow-going with all the Blackwall Tunnel traffic etc. Anyway, the more touristy pubs along the river are all fairly decent - eg the Battle of Trafalgar, Gipsy Moth, Yacht, The Old Brewery (Meantime pub in the grounds of the Naval College) etc, and there's a not hideous Wetherspoons (the Gate Clock) by Cutty Sark DLR. Personally, I'd recommend the less touristy area near the train station. Ignore the Belushi's in front of the station, unless chatting up bewildered backpackers is your thing, and head South. On a villagey road called Royal Hill there are two pubs next to each other: Richard the 1st is a decent Youngs pub and the Greenwich Union next door is owned by Meantime, so has plenty of keg ales and one or two cask (often Dark Star Hophead or Harveys Sussex Slop). Round the corner on Ashburnham Grove is the Ashburnam Arms, a Shepherd Neame pub. All three of these places have decent beer gardens and won't be overrun with tourists.

BLACKHEATH: One stop on the train before Charlton, has a few OK-ish pubs: The Railway (a few yards to the right when you leave the station), the Crown (Shepherd Neame pub a minute or two's walk to the left on leaving station) or the poncier Hare & Billet (further walk to the left, by the heath - lots of craft keg beers and usually some Dark Star stuff on cask).

NORTH GREENWICH: There's only one pub here, but it's pretty decent. Couple of mins South of the tube station, across a small park, is a Fuller's pub called the Pilot, with decent food and a nice multi-level beer garden. There's a bus stop a couple of mins further down the road that will be less of a scrum than the one at the tube station. (Buses take less than ten mins to get to the Valley, mostly via an empty bus lane past superstores.

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
Apologies. These must be additional trains in place because of engineering works. There are not normally trains direct from Victoria to Charlton. Sorry. Was trying to be helpful and clearly have not been. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here