Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going defensive when we are ahead

D

Deleted member 2719

He has already by playing two upfront. Again you are spouting drivel like before. We have played 11 matches to date and only failed to score in one of those games. We even missed a pen in that game. Why not actually watch the football being played before your eyes then living off past comments from other fans regarding Hughton?

I really don't know what you have been watching but some of our football has been brilliant and is easily the best since we arrived at the Amex. I'm very much enjoying it.

Drivel or no drivel this thread is about being defensive when ahead and CH has been defensive he cost us the 2 points yesterday not Murphy sending off.
I have always watched football with my own eyes and beliefs, I have never jumped on the bandwagon its just not my style.
Like I said I am happy for CH to prove me wrong with his defensive tactics while ahead let's just see if his belief gains us promotion to the promised land.
Who knows he may just look at yesterday game and learn by it. ��

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Throughout the season Ince for Hemd has been a common substitution at around 60 minutes. That's a long time to sit back and hold onto a 1 goal lead, if it was on 75 minutes I'd have no complaints.

Yesterday we took off both strikers and didn't really have a pacey outlet or any real goal threat, tactically this seemed odd when leaving Baldock on or sending on Manu seemed a better option than March.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I think Chris calls this right. When Ince comes on you'll notice that King Kayal is the one who is released to be more attacking to the point where at tmes he almost becomes a second striker. When we loose possession he falls back to reinforce the midfield. Interestingly, I read that KK started out as a striker. I really think this is clever management.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is the first game that we've conceded a goal and the lead after making a defensive substitution on 65-70 mins, isn't it? And not only were we down to 10 men, we were 2 mins away from being succesful again. It's a percentages game, and we've got the players to ensure that, over the course of a season, we'll hold on to the win more often than not.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I think we have taken off our two starting strikers in just about every game this season. We let the opposition back into games, even poor teams like Rotherham. It's not a good trait.

My golf pro is a Norwich fan, and he says this is a standard CH tactic - and ultimately what cost him his job at Norwich.

Just saying like .....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My golf pro is a Norwich fan, and he says this is a standard CH tactic - and ultimately what cost him his job at Norwich.

Just saying like .....
I suggest that you show your golf pro the table, and point out the CH has a much lower budget than some of the teams below us.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This is the first game that we've conceded a goal and the lead after making a defensive substitution on 65-70 mins, isn't it? And not only were we down to 10 men, we were 2 mins away from being succesful again. It's a percentages game, and we've got the players to ensure that, over the course of a season, we'll hold on to the win more often than not.

Not if we withdraw our strikers we then have no out ball March on as our front man? Hughton is doing great but I do think he made a mistake yesterday!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good post, though it is hard to think we would all have had this chat, had we won yesterday. I too thought it odd against Rotherham -yes, there was only one goal in it, but they had offered very little and we could have gone for the jugular rather more. As you say, can't argue with his success so far and one has to trust him, but there are little niggles -perhaps there always will be. With no Hemed, and BZ being too tired, it does mean that we are one striker short -had CH that luxury up his sleeve, then he might re-evaluate his tactics. HEADS UP for Cardiff!

Maybe not all of us, but it is something I've noticed and mentioned to friends before the Rotherham game.

Also, we've not won a game by more than one goal all season, if we kept an attacking formation for another 10-15 minutes, how many games would we have picked off our opponents while they pushed for an equaliser, and thus have a) a more comfortable end to the game and greater confidence b) a better goal difference to aid in our league push.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not if we withdraw our strikers we then have no out ball March on as our front man? Hughton is doing great but I do think he made a mistake yesterday!
We'd probably have conceded earlier if didn't put all 10 men behind the ball after the sending off.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We'd probably have conceded earlier if didn't put all 10 men behind the ball after the sending off.

Maybe so but Wolves seemed to cope last week for 40 mins I don't recall them planting 10 men behind the ball?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
All solly had to do was was his best CMS impression and chase everything down. He didnt. Its INEXCUSEABLE. He just came on as sub so he is fresh and young. It was the only time a CMS impression is acceptable.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
All solly had to do was was his best CMS impression and chase everything down. He didnt. Its INEXCUSEABLE. He just came on as sub so he is fresh and young. It was the only time a CMS impression is acceptable.

:lolol: who was it when we were down to 9 players and he ran his socks off. If only he'd scored that chance at the end

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Maybe so but Wolves seemed to cope last week for 40 mins I don't recall them planting 10 men behind the ball?

They were well organised and got men back very quickly. We didn't move the ball quickly enough and had to play most of the second half in front of them.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It reminds me a little bit of when Peter Taylor managed us. We used to take the lead and then seemed to spend a long time defending it. That worked out alright, winning the league by 6 points from Reading. Lets hope history repeats itself.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Taking off a striker for Ince to see out a game has been something we've done in most of our games this season and looking at the league table it seems to have served us quite well so far.

The only problem is expectation. We're starting to feel we should be winning certain games now. We've had to battle and work hard for every point we've won so far. We're not a side that's going to hit many sides for 3/4. We're picking up points by seeing out games by the odd goal, hopefully that continues for a long time!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taking off a striker for Ince to see out a game has been something we've done in most of our games this season and looking at the league table it seems to have served us quite well so far.

The only problem is expectation. We're starting to feel we should be winning certain games now. We've had to battle and work hard for every point we've won so far. We're not a side that's going to hit many sides for 3/4. We're picking up points by seeing out games by the odd goal, hopefully that continues for a long time!
Not forgetting that this is our best start to a season since 1954, & had we held on for the win, would have been our best start ever.
It's all down to expectations. Fans feel they have a right to moan, because we lost two points. Fickle fans.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Given that we have had a fantastic start to the season and are sat at the top of the table, there isn't much to complain about, except...

CH seems to want to win everything by one goal.

That is fine for as long as you win everything. But let's be honest, we won't go unbeaten all season, so Chris needs to be a little bit more like Kreese from the Karate Kid and be screaming "Finish Them!!" from the touchline instead of seemingly being a little embarrassed we are winning after an hour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here