Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goals scored in top 5 European leagues since World Cup...

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
From twitter, haven't fact checked and apologies if already posted, but even so worth repeating!

"Since the resumption of club football after the WC, no side in the top 5 European leagues has scored more goals in all comps than Brighton"

Unbelievable scenes, and given the ages of much of the team, feels like just the beginning somehow. Just how far can we go!?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I know it's greedy, but I think we should be going for top 4. I know everyone is excited about Europa and even conference league but the majority of the teams in those competitions are gash. Rangers reached the final and USG topped their group etc.

This team is champions league quality.

I feel like there's no reason we can't finish above Newcastle and spurs and hope Chelsea and Liverpool remain useless.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I know it's greedy, but I think we should be going for top 4. I know everyone is excited about Europa and even conference league but the majority of the teams in those competitions are gash. Rangers reached the final and USG topped their group etc.

I feel like there's no reason we can't finish above Newcastle and spurs and hope Chelsea and Liverpool remain useless.
Does 4th spot get you straight into the Champions League group stages or would there be a qualifier first?

Edit: Checked what happened to Spurs and it was straight into the group stages, no qualifier

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

There is an opportunity to get into 4th spot. We will probably have to remain in top form with no bad runs and hope others don’t suddenly find good and consistent form.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
On the goals side of things the only game in the last 5 where we haven’t scored 3 was Arsenal, where we scored 2 and were the tightest of offside calls from a third.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does 4th spot get you straight into the Champions League group stages or would there be a qualifier first?

Edit: Checked what happened to Spurs and it was straight into the group stages, no qualifier
It's questions like this that result in 11 games without a win!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I was insanely thinking of the title yesterday (humour me), or what could have been at least - Spurs can peg back Arsenal today; City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are flaky. If Potter had buggered off to Chelsea earlier we could have been looking at a ‘blink first’ four-way shoot-out between us, AFC, NUFC and Man U. We’re only a few points off NUFC. Conditions elsewhere are almost 2016 Leicester-esque. Our squad is that good and deep, barring injuries etc.

Nurse! :amex:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We've now scored 1 more goal than we did in our entire first PL season and are equal to how many we scored in our second season. We are only 7 short of equaling last seasons PL record of 42 goals.

Our record top flight haul is 54 goals in the 80-81 season but that was over a 42 game season. 49 goals would be par over a 38 game season to equal that record, but I wouldn't put it past us to go sailing past 54 the way we are playing at the moment

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I was insanely thinking of the title yesterday (humour me), or what could have been at least - Spurs can peg back Arsenal today; City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are flaky. If Potter had buggered off to Chelsea earlier we could have been looking at a ‘blink first’ four-way shoot-out between us, AFC, NUFC and Man U. We’re only a few points off NUFC. Conditions elsewhere are almost 2016 Leicester-esque. Our squad is that good and deep, barring injuries etc.

Nurse! :amex:
I think we've now fully proven we can do it at home.

The last piece of the puzzle is proving we can do it against horrible , cheating , time wasting teams that put 11 behind the ball all game. We may find out more about this in the next 3 games (or certainly the bmuff game)

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
The best thing about getting any European place this season would be convincing more players to stay / join the project imo.

In terms of aims, they've got to be privately targeting 4th!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think the difference between our season being great (top half) or sensational (European qualification) hinges on whether RDZ can develop our ability to beat teams that set up to frustrate and hit us on the counter, particularly at home.

The games over the past couple of years that we’ve struggled with can be evidenced in the home performances this year against Forest, Spurs and Villa. All three showed minimal ambition and we got one point from nine.

RDZ has clearly improved us so if we can crack that particular nut, there’s no reason why we can’t push for Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here