Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goals per game - least entertaining team in the Championship

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
They have played 1 upfront (Austin) for a large part of the season.

Its not goals per game scored. It shows goals in a game from both teams. All the shows is we are involved in games with few goals so prob means decent defence not so great going forward.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Its not goals per game scored. It shows goals in a game from both teams. All the shows is we are involved in games with few goals so prob means decent defence not so great going forward.
I know. I was quoting someone who seemed to be using QPR as an example that 2 up front doesn't necessarily mean more goals.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
But loads of people are using the top 7 teams all play 2 up top argument for us ditching 1 up top. So you are saying this argument is bollocks. Excellent, I agree with you.
QPR should be walking this league but aren't due to the lack of goals. They were forced to play one up top due largely to injuries. While playing 1 up top they scored very few but defensively were excellent.
However now Austin is injured they have gone to two upfront.
In terms of entertainment I'd far rather watch Burnley with 2 upfront rather than QPR with one.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
I guess if you spend most of the game passing sideways in your own half then it's always likely you will score few and concede few.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Less than 2 goals a game. The only team in the Championship with that stat.

Derby County 3.34
Millwall 2.93
Bournemouth 2.89
Leeds United 2.79
Watford 2.78
Leicester City 2.76
Reading 2.76
Bolton Wanderers 2.75
Nottingham Forest 2.68
Huddersfield Town 2.68
Middlesbrough 2.62
Barnsley 2.59
Birmingham City 2.54
Ipswich Town 2.52
Sheffield Wednesday 2.52
Yeovil Town 2.52
Blackburn Rovers 2.48
Doncaster Rovers 2.41
Blackpool 2.34
Burnley 2.32
Charlton Athletic 2.19
Wigan Athletic 2.11
Queens Park Rangers 2.00
Brighton and Hove Albion 1.96

Poyet's Championship Albion seasons -
2012/13 2.43
2011/12 2.26

Better, but still clearly amongst the worst, despite having the greater talents (before spending/wages had to be reined in) at times then of Bridge, Vicente, Ulloa (fewer injuries), CMS.

Conclusion - it's been a problem throughout this Championship era of the Albion's, but we've forgotten about Poyet's meagre times because it ended with a few goals against Huddersfield, CP and Blackpool. I remember the Sky team highlighting it in the live Watford game at the Amex Xmas 2012 - they showed a lack of Albion bodies in the box at the end of our counter attacks.

Jan 30, 2008
The problem is we don't want to concede a goal because we're not good enough to score one.................. Isn't that the reality???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here