Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals conceded from set pieces- 2020/21 edition

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The players must feel like they're in a parallel universe- coached to take all set pieces in a convoluted and indirect way yet conceding every time the opposition lob the ball in to the box.

One out of four corners was a short one today, and you may or may not remember (depending on what suits you to remember) the set pieces that resulted in the chances for Dunk and Webster.

Conceded too many goals on set pieces this season no doubt, the one today was brilliant from Vestergaard though. The header is one thing but the way he shakes off his marker (Veltman) is brilliant. Kudos to him, Dunk, Webster etc. could learn from that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
One out of four corners was a short one today, and you may or may not remember (depending on what suits you to remember) the set pieces that resulted in the chances for Dunk and Webster.

Conceded too many goals on set pieces this season no doubt, the one today was brilliant from Vestergaard though. The header is one thing but the way he shakes off his marker (Veltman) is brilliant. Kudos to him, Dunk, Webster etc. could learn from that.

Westergaard lined up at the edge of the area. I said to friends at the time..." Ward-Prowse to Westergaard...goal ".....If I can bloody see it from my armchair, why can't Veltman, Dunk, White or Webster or anyone else for that matter. Surely the coaching team discussed this threat pre-match ( Maybe not....maybe they were working on seeing how far the brilliant Webster can carry the ball out of defence before losing control or giving it away )
The strongest of our defenders should have been man marking him ( Dunk ) In the end, Veltman failed to pick up his movement and Dunk, spotting the danger too late, couldn't get there in time. I disagree. It wasn't brilliant from Westergaard. We gifted him a straightforward path to the ball. Naive management and tactics. Naive defending. Not for the first time and it certainly won't be the last judging from our apparent inability to learn from previous experiences this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Took one short today? What is wrong with that?

Nothing at all.
I'm talking about the season as a whole, and I haven't even mentioned short corners. I just think sometimes, when you are struggling with something, you go back to basics. In this case- get the best set-piece taker to aim for the best attacker of the ball. That is pretty much all the teams who are better at set pieces do. Do that enough and you DO score goals.

Whether or not we 'only' played one short corner last night, or even if we HADN'T conceded from another set piece, It would be a little dishonest to claim we are a) anything more than bang average at attacking set pieces and b) anything more than disappointing at defending set pieces.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
tenor.gif

10 goals conceded from set pieces :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here