Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals conceded from deflections

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You go on a couple of frames, and Bogle simply has the freedom of our penalty area still. This is a bit alarming, because it's not players not getting back, it's about being tight and taking responsibility. It was a positive move imho moving March to LB to bring on more attacking players, but what happened here is a defensive nightmare. Webster never once looks at Bogle, and March, I don't know what March is doing!? :shrug:

View attachment 131638

March is not a defender , this is one of the reasons why we concede so many sloppy goals , and give away so many penalties,
Really the first job of any manager is to make sure your defence is solid and well organised,
Then you proceed with the midfield and attack ,
Not playing defenders in defence , and not playing defenders in midfield , not playing central midfielders who have no pace wide ,
So if you don’t play players in their correct positions then you get situations like the above , as the players concerned don’t know where to position themselves or to react when such a situation occurs

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Well, he's at least got to attempt the block surely

You have to be decisive. You can't dangle, as he often does, because that's how it deflects into the goal. You have to be decisive and properly attempt a block so if it does come off you it flies behind or back the way it came. He just sort of waves a foot and that's dangerous more often than not. He has a really terrible habit of being casual in the penalty area and he needs it coached out of him. Look at Ben White making a block, or the gold standard - Shane Duffy and Lewis Dunk. They're full blooded and committed, that's the difference.

Yoda

English & European
I've watched their goal a couple of times now, and worryingly for me, we aren't as caught out as I first thought at the time. They have 2 on 4 in the box, supporting players are well covered by Lallana, White, Bissouma all running back, I think Trossard is tracking the player to the left of the shot and is marginally ahead.

Where we're conceding deflected goals to me is lack of positive closing down, and this might be a result of communication. Bogle is pretty much the only player that can score unless McGoldrick produces something special to beat Dunk and the keeper from a narrow position. If you watch the goal back, I don't once see Webster look to see where Bogle is, perhaps he is too focussed on covering Dunk, but March is pretty much in no man's land at this point, and really should be screaming at Webster 'right shoulder' as loud as he friggin well can.

The deflection imho in the case didn't come through our miss fortune, it came simply because we weren't tight enough.
View attachment 131637

Actually, I would say with Dunk closing down the space on McGoldrick, Webster is in the best position he can be. Bogle, coming in from out wide is Solly's responsibility.

White needs to cut back into the middle to help Webster and leave Biss to cover their wide man on that side in case it gets recycled.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
March is not a defender , this is one of the reasons why we concede so many sloppy goals , and give away so many penalties,
Really the first job of any manager is to make sure your defence is solid and well organised,
Then you proceed with the midfield and attack ,
Not playing defenders in defence , and not playing defenders in midfield , not playing central midfielders who have no pace wide ,
So if you don’t play players in their correct positions then you get situations like the above , as the players concerned don’t know where to position themselves or to react when such a situation occurs

First half March was a wing-back and I thought he was fine and has been one of our best performers. 2nd half with Veltman injured I thought Potter took an attacking risk and bought on another attacking player and dropped March back into a 4 at full back. For me that was an attacking move because SU went very narrow, so gave us more attacking options.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
I always remember how many goals Frank Lampard scored with deflected shots, its always better to shoot anything can happen.

We need to adopt the same principle

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You go on a couple of frames, and Bogle simply has the freedom of our penalty area still. This is a bit alarming, because it's not players not getting back, it's about being tight and taking responsibility. It was a positive move imho moving March to LB to bring on more attacking players, but what happened here is a defensive nightmare. Webster never once looks at Bogle, and March, I don't know what March is doing!? :shrug:

View attachment 131638

I think a lot of defenders are either being told to, or choosing to drop off a bit these days due to the risk of giving away a VAR penalty. Get tight and many players can manufacture contact.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
this season we half heartedly attempt to block shots - last season, when playing and all season before Duffy basically launched himself into blocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here