Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goallessness in EL vs PL

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would agree with that. The 'Group of Death' seemed more like the 'Group of Meh' Apart from the stage fright Albion could have won all six matches. I think Marseille may be better if we faced them again though.

The teams I least want to face are West Ham, Liverpool and AC Milan.
"Group of death" is not to be feared when the Assassin wears your number 9.

https___images.ps-aws.com_c_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2x51gyc4ptf2q.cloudfront.net%2Fcontent%2Fupload...jpg

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I would agree with that. The 'Group of Death' seemed more like the 'Group of Meh' Apart from the stage fright Albion could have won all six matches. I think Marseille may be better if we faced them again though.

The teams I least want to face are West Ham, Liverpool and AC Milan.
True, although I think it was still one of the harder, if not the hardest group. I’ve been watching the highlights of other games, and large parts of other games live (I have Viaplay here in Norway and they show every match of EL and PL, conveniently), and the quality in the EL, especially the defending, is not PL standard.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd agree with the poster above who suggests it may be as simple as the fact that we've played our best team with our most focused tactics in these games, resting players beforehand and building everything up for these specific matches.

In this light is it surprising our best performances have occurred in these games?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes Steele can play out very well unfortunately he isn’t very good at stopping the ball going the net. Fulham’s goal for an example wasn’t that great of a shot and went straight through him.
If ever you see a team not trusting their keeper it’s ours.
You can think he's not a great keeper, but your last sentence is a completely wrong

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
…you clearly don’t remember the Fulham goal correctly, decent shot with pace from the edge of the area well away from the keeper, was nowhere near going straight through him at all.
Well, I thought the Fulham goal was far being from unstoppable too. Attached is a still from the point at which the ball crossed the goal line. It was far from being “well away from the keeper.”

If Steele had been outside his 6 yard box then fair enough, but he was about a yard off his line. It’s hardly been arrowed into the top corner.

Attachments

• IMG_4182.jpeg
    IMG_4182.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Updated

1702775102256.png

So shove that up your bollocks, nit pickers. ???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Now he's back fit is there a possibility the club might try to sign Walton from Ipswich? He was on the bench against Norwich earlier. Maybe I'm way off. Just a passing thought.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
TBH, I agree — or at least, I can think of no obvious logical reason why there should be such a difference. It just strikes me as being very odd.
It. Is. A. Different. Competition.

And the outcome, for us, is different.

That's all.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Well, I thought the Fulham goal was far being from unstoppable too. Attached is a still from the point at which the ball crossed the goal line. It was far from being “well away from the keeper.”

If Steele had been outside his 6 yard box then fair enough, but he was about a yard off his line. It’s hardly been arrowed into the top corner.
I never said it was unstoppable, but it certainly wasn’t straight through him and was a decent enough strike.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I Think its because the goals are smaller in Europe ;)

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It. Is. A. Different. Competition.

And the outcome, for us, is different.

That's all.
Doesn’t matter. The rules of the game are the same. And the objectives are essentially the same. Win as many games as possible. Concede as few as possible. There’s no logical link between different competitions and different defensive performances.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Updated

View attachment 171389

So shove that up your bollocks, nit pickers. ???
Yes, that last sentence does appear to be in English, and I recognise the words, but.......

....shirley they are in the wrong order? 'Bollocks' should be after 'shove that', no? The arrangement of the rest is, I admit, a bit random, but 'shove that bollocks' (which all that chi square Yates p-value gubbins certainly is) is definitely apposite!

Last edited:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well yes, I recognise that sentence as the English language, and I'm familiar with all the words, but.......they just seem to be in the wrong order.

Shirley 'bollocks' should come immediately after 'shove that'? The rest is then, I

Yes, that last sentence does appear to be in English, and I recognise the words, but.......

....shirley they are in the wrong order? 'Bollocks' should be after 'shove that', no? The arrangement of the rest is, I admit, a bit random, but 'shove that bollocks' (which all that chi square Yates p-value gubbins certainly is) is definitely apposite!
:ROFLMAO:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Worse opposition?

The worst Ajax team in 65 years, AEK weren’t up to much once we got over stage fright, Marseille had inept finishers.

The PL is the richest league in the world with backers investing £b’s over true profit and loss. Bmuff spent big last January, under the radar Khan at Fulham I think may’ve invested 3x that of TB on players. The point being every team has danger men and game changer who can undo 75 minutes of good defence.
This is the thing, Ajax were absolutely shocking both games - they didn’t look PL level in their current condition.

That said, how many times have these big famous clubs got over the line even when in crisis over the years. Reputation and expectation is a powerful leveller.

That’s why I’m so, SO proud of us winning a group of death against two powerhouses of European football. We’re little Brighton who have never won anything of note, and we completely bossed feckin’ AJAX (albeit a very sickly one) home and away.

Incredible scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here