Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I would disagree. Ankergren was key in our league one winning side. His role as the sweeper-keeper, allowing the centre backs to spread wider and the full backs to bomb forward was key to out domination that season.

Perhaps he has been found wanting at Championship level, but I still think he is a decent mid-table championship keeper. Our problem with Ankergren, is that our target these days is a little higher than mid-table.
Absolutely bang on!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Did you ever go yourself then? (Given that the price of tickets for what was on offer, was FAR from 'reasonably priced).

This signature thing of yours properly pisses me off.

None of those games, bar Wigan away, actually WERE 'reasonably priced' by your <£15 criteria.

You actually only attend any matches by bludging off others (the excessive prices are okay I guess, if somebody else has paid them for you) or buy buying child's tickets. How old are you Husty, btw?

I buy concessions appropriate for my age where available, I'm 20. You could have sent me a PM if you were THAT interested.

theboybilly

Haven't supported the Albion long then?

Not really, only since I moved down from Kent in 1997. I used to go (mostly) to Bexley United who went under and then Welling United (who I actually played against when they were a Sunday League club would you believe) I also had a strong interest in Charlton as most of my schoolmates were 'Addicks fans so I'd go to the Valley on occasion. (I've never taken to Palace or Millwall) Since I moved to Shoreham I stopped going to football initially because that's how my life dictated things at the time. I went to the Withdean a fair few times and some away games in those days...Exeter, Plymouth, Barnet etc when work would allow or my work colleagues were going. After McGhee left work got in the way again so I couldn't make many games at all, I suppose I'm a real JCL but it doesn't bother me. I'm now in a position to splash out on a Season Ticket and I'm loving it. I've always had a soft spot for the Albion after I met a Seagulls fan when I was doing an apprenticeship back in the 1970s, and I've always liked the city itself. I was always going to move down to the coast, a decision I've never regretted. What I do regret is that I didn't move down earlier and support the Albion during the top-flight years and through the struggles (which I watched from afar as it were)

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Graeme Smith.... he was in goal for that Huddersfield game wasn't he?

I remember him being truly awful in real life, but on Football Manager that season he actually stayed with me all thew way through to the upper half of the Prem, he was that good on there.

I liked Ankergren in League 1. Less so now, both him and Brez are solid backups who I wouldn't mind covering for a couple of games injury or suspension every season, but nothing more than that. No harm in loaning whoever earns more out to a lower end Championship club for a month or so.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would disagree. Ankergren was key in our league one winning side. His role as the sweeper-keeper, allowing the centre backs to spread wider and the full backs to bomb forward was key to out domination that season.

Perhaps he has been found wanting at Championship level, but I still think he is a decent mid-table championship keeper. Our problem with Ankergren, is that our target these days is a little higher than mid-table.

100% fine post strings.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not really, only since I moved down from Kent in 1997. I used to go (mostly) to Bexley United who went under and then Welling United (who I actually played against when they were a Sunday League club would you believe) I also had a strong interest in Charlton as most of my schoolmates were 'Addicks fans so I'd go to the Valley on occasion. (I've never taken to Palace or Millwall) Since I moved to Shoreham I stopped going to football initially because that's how my life dictated things at the time. I went to the Withdean a fair few times and some away games in those days...Exeter, Plymouth, Barnet etc when work would allow or my work colleagues were going. After McGhee left work got in the way again so I couldn't make many games at all, I suppose I'm a real JCL but it doesn't bother me. I'm now in a position to splash out on a Season Ticket and I'm loving it. I've always had a soft spot for the Albion after I met a Seagulls fan when I was doing an apprenticeship back in the 1970s, and I've always liked the city itself. I was always going to move down to the coast, a decision I've never regretted. What I do regret is that I didn't move down earlier and support the Albion during the top-flight years and through the struggles (which I watched from afar as it were)

:lol: You've made a fairly strong case for yourelf there.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Graeme who? :whistle:

Actually I take your points, but for me Ankergren came here from Mighty Leeds (ahem) with a reputation. I've been sorely disappointed in him and could never understand why he was recruited. Maybe I should have said the must underwhelming goalkeeper signing I've ever seen given the expectation.

I really disagree, especially in the League One winning season he was absolutely excellent. Not only that, at the time he was fundamental to our game which is why he was recruited: comfortable with the ball at his feet (the one aspect he's still better than PIG).

I think that the signing of PIG has raised expectations of a 'keeper at this club but I thought Ankergren has been a great servant.

In terms of worse 'keepers? Easy:

David Gonzalez
Graeme Smith
Michael Poke
Mitch Walker
Peter Brezovan

and that's only going back as far as 2010-ish

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Graeme Smith.... he was in goal for that Huddersfield game wasn't he?
In fairness, he only conceded 5 of the 7 and that was after Kuipers had been sent off and we were down to 10. Please, dear God, do not take that as me defending or rating him as a 'keeper. He was just awful. Reminded me of Henderson actually, but with less hype.

theboybilly

:lol: You've made a fairly strong case for yourelf there.

I'm just a little worried about the next few seasons as this one has worked out well regarding my shifts - I think I'll manage all home games which is something of a miracle really. But next year could be completely the opposite and I'll be having to call in favours, swap duties, and pull all manner of strokes to attend a handful of games. Such is life :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here