Goalkeepers,the best you have ever seen 'Live'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
Big Nev was class, also special mention goes to Andy Rhodes at Oldham back in the day, class. For our younger viewers he is Jordan Rhodes daddy.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Not the best keeper, but John Burridge was very funny.

Oh I say, I'd forgotten all about 'Budgie'! Good 'keeper & a complete loon wherever he went. I seem to recall he got out of signing for Derby by climbing out the window of Arthur Cox's office - & was chased down the road by Cox (who was carrying a teapot). :lol:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, them was the days......

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Goldstone Keepers

Clemence (Liverpool)
Shilton (Forest)
Stevenson (Chesterfield)

Last edited:

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Without any doubt my No 1 would be Pat Jennings when he played for Spurs. Our best possibly Peter Grummitt although past his best when he played for us.
I agree with this. At the Goldstone I can remember being impressed by a young Phil Parkes then playing for Walsall. He required treatment at least 3 times before half time as a result of "challenges" by Alex Dawson. Each time he held onto the ball, I can remember Ray Clemence playing for Scunthorpe too but the best display I saw from an opposing keeper was by Peter Downsborough (Halifax) against Bobby Smith et al in 1964/5.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Another vote for Neville Southall. He put on the best display of shot stopping I have ever seen in an Albion match, despite being overweight, past his prime, and playing for Torquay.

+ another 1. Superb display that day. Beasant was magnificent for Chelsea at the Goldstone in 1988-1989. Chelsea scored after a fumble by Keeley, and we threw the kitchen sink at them for the rest of the game. Other than hitting the post, I don't think he was beaten once. For us I'd say Beeney. I remember an absolute belter of a save he made against Pompey in the FA Cup (1993) and he was consistently good in a side that was clearly going down. Other than him, it would have to be Ben Roberts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Graeme Smith ?

Jul 5, 2003
Pat Jennings. Not only great on crosses but was he first keeper I can remember to regularly use his legs to block the ball. Before BIG Pat goalkeepers used their hands. He could catch crosses with one hand and even dived and caught the ball with one hand. Then there was his goal at Old Trafford - the first time I saw a keeper score. He just brings back so many great memories. Sadly transferred to Arsenal in very strange circumstances!
Gordon Banks was pretty special too. Great shot-stopper and extremely agile. By far the best keeper I ever saw in an England shirt - and we had several very good ones.
Joe Hart looks like he could be up there with the best in the future as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports