Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers shirts/jumpers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we should go back in time and only allow keepers to wear Red, Green or Blue tops but not the same as either team or referee. I have noticed more and more teams are wearing a gold kit and the goalie a yellow top or vice versa or a blue top and the goalie wearing a slightly different shade of blue. I think that s wrong and refs should jump on it and apply the rules about goalkeepers wearing a distinctly different colour top.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think thinking is so important

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
wcup266.jpg

Yellow shirt - them wuz the dayz

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
This keeper shirt colour problem is a plague on football

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Too many keepers have a shirt very similar to their team. Was it Rochdale at Withdean who wore a blueish/ purple and the keeper virtually the same colour top and Charlton away wore their red and the keeper a slightly lighter shade of red.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Nah.....let's go back to the roll neck jobbies like the 50's! Yes it's me in goal for Brighton Boys Juniors! Oh...and it was green.Top.jpg

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Goalkeeping is an absolute doddle.Goalkeepers should go topless to make up for it.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Under former FA regulations, goalkeeper's jerseys had to be Royal Blue, Royal Green, Scarlet or White. Yellow was reserved for International Matches. They also were not normally numbered in the days before squad numbering. I also remember when the jerseys had a roll neck collar.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I also think too many goalie tops clash with the colours of their team, the opposition or even the referee & I'm surprised the rules have been relaxed so much.

With the modern habit of keepers sometimes going up for corners you could even get keepers clashing with eachother!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Spot on Bensgrandad......see also black football boots, and players wearing 1-11.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Too many keepers have a shirt very similar to their team. Was it Rochdale at Withdean who wore a blueish/ purple and the keeper virtually the same colour top and Charlton away wore their red and the keeper a slightly lighter shade of red.

I was thinking 'This is an interesting thread' sarcastically but when I read this post I remembered I was at the Rochdale game and said exactly the same thing to my friend.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I also think too many goalie tops clash with the colours of their team, the opposition or even the referee & I'm surprised the rules have been relaxed so much.

With the modern habit of keepers sometimes going up for corners you could even get keepers clashing with eachother!

The rules haven't been relaxed - referees are failing to implement the rules.

Goalkeepers are required to wear a different colour to both teams. Goalkeepers on opposing teams should also wear different colours. In addition to this, the referee and his assistants should select a shirt that is a different colour to both teams and goalkeepers.

The 'referee shirt colour' is the rule most commonly broken - how many times this season have you seen a referee wearing yellow whilst a keeper is also wearing yellow? With the number of referee kits available, and the number of goalkeeping kits (most teams have 3 goalie shirts), there is really no excuse.

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I often find myself confused between the ref, keeper and outfield players.

I've lost count of the amount of times that players have gone to protest to the keeper instead of the referee. And what about the issue of players passing it to the ref instead of the keeper.

Something has to be done. This is getting out of hand

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Wolves definitely turned out last season, on more than one occasion, with the team in 'old gold' and the goalie in yellow.

Proof:

135452991_display_image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here