Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper coaching in Brighton/Sussex area

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Fairplay to you, but wouldnt it be better to ask one of your players before/during/after training to take shots crosses angled shots blah blah blah.

At 27 you are likely to achieve only small gains from the technical side, whilst getting your 'eye in' through situation practise might offer bigger gains.

Your not a professional so you have to prioritise your practice, get in goal and make some saves !!!

Not strictly true,

You can pick up on little tips on positioning and how when to come for crosses and when not to which you might not learn as a youngster and would have missed out on through not playing for a few years.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not strictly true,

You can pick up on little tips on positioning and how when to come for crosses and when not to which you might not learn as a youngster and would have missed out on through not playing for a few years.

It wasnt really a comment on the guy, he must be quite committed to even consider this, so I commend him.

If he is a local ex-weekend player then the technical part of his game is likely to be woefully flawed, be honest at this level we all are.

You would need firstly to find a goalkeeping coach that has the relevant experience and qualification above a few drills for kids and then spend everyday for the next 5 years to see any real improvement, he needs to prioritise.

My view is for him to spend as much of his training time saving shots, taking crosses, working on his distribution and honing his reflexes and co-ordination skills.

He will gain immeasurably more by this and he might save a few quid along the way.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It wasnt really a comment on the guy, he must be quite committed to even consider this, so I commend him.

If he is a local ex-weekend player then the technical part of his game is likely to be woefully flawed, be honest at this level we all are.

You would need firstly to find a goalkeeping coach that has the relevant experience and qualification above a few drills for kids and then spend everyday for the next 5 years to see any real improvement, he needs to prioritise.

My view is for him to spend as much of his training time saving shots, taking crosses, working on his distribution and honing his reflexes and co-ordination skills.

He will gain immeasurably more by this and he might save a few quid along the way.

Yeah that will help but even one session with a qualified coach will help him in some areas too.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

I see where your coming from, I'm really only after tips to improve. 10 sessions with a coach I feel could greatly improve my positioning, foot work and angles.

I don't want let easy goals to put it simply.

I'm also doing what you've mentioned above, but if I'm doing something wrong that's easy to rectify it'll all be in vain.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I see where your coming from, I'm really only after tips to improve. 10 sessions with a coach I feel could greatly improve my positioning, foot work and angles.

I don't want let easy goals to put it simply.

You do realise you need to be a little bit mad to be a goalkeeper, you sound a wee bit organised and considered, have you thought about playing holding midfield.

Just kiddin' good luck.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Slightly O/T - I'm a cricket coach and the mentatilty out there seems to be that only kids need coaching and once you get to 18 there is no further room for improvement.
Some threads above suggests this thinking is also in football.

Yet, for some reason golf seems to be the opposite - kids don't get too much coaching yet grown men spend stacks on golf lessons ......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I havent played golf fore years, wasnt great when I did, wasnt too bad either.

If I wanted to start playing again, my first port of call wouldnt be a golf lesson, I would get out there and play.

Coolcat76

Feb 27, 2013
That doesn't surprise me, great coach but unreliable.

My son has been coming to Stuart's courses for about 7 years now & I have to say, your comments have shocked me. The only time lessons that have been cancelled is due to weather & when it comes to value for money, I doubt you will find a goalkeeper coach who offers the facilities that Stuart does. It is a safe, happy environment where parents are welcome to watch the session or they can leave their child in the safe hands of a fantastic coach who puts in a lot if time, effort & dedication. He has had over 20 students over 8 years that have gone on to play at professional football clubs so he is clearly doing something right!
My son really enjoys coming to Stuart's sessions & I can safely say, we will not be going anywhere else.
His number is 07762239228, I urge you to call him to discuss your session choice.

The Y.G.A

Feb 22, 2013
Brighton
Hi, nice to see someone posted about us on theis thread. we are The Y.G.A. we run one to one sessions and are just inside Brighton, Great prices for one to one and wont be neaten elsewhere, thats a garauntee! Stuart owens is a great coach, and i agree with coolcat76, shocked to see the comments about him! great guy and a great coach. Cars, if you want to find out more mate contact me at y.g.a@hotmail.co.uk.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Is John Keeley still in the area? I used to have coaching sessions with him in brighton. Was a good few years ago now. He was a class coach and a decent bloke too.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Had my first 1to1 with Tom from the YGA today, highly recommend him if any of you know anyone who wants goalkeeper training.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here