Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goal nets and stanchions

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The D shape stanchion surrounded by fans look is a good one

View attachment 134646

Any of you other poor sods have to build and then take down shitloads of these for a summer tournament? My first effort was like Ray Charles making Ikea flatpack.

View attachment 134648

Yes! They do my head in! I will say the more modern designs seem to be getting easier to put up and take down though.

Being tall I was always lumbered with putting nets up on goal posts as a kid if playing in the first game of the day too. Must have spent years combined putting bloody nets up!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well. If we’re doing this..

Good to see a lovely old “d” stanchion. :smile:

Good on you. Two most important goals in one post!

Talking of posts - I love the way they're still referred to as 'woodwork'. When was the last time any professional club had wooden 'woodwork'?

theboybilly

They really were iconic, such a shame things had to move on..

How about the ones at Hampden park in the same era? What were they all about?!?

My favourite ever goalposts. Square and the net tied all around the goal frame. Football lost something unique when they were replaced by tubular monstrosities. I never liked Upton Park or Loftus Road narrow nets either, they took all the fun out of some great goals.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Some great pics on here, love goalpost history. Hampden was a classic.

Hadnt registered Premier League all the same now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good on you. Two most important goals in one post!

Talking of posts - I love the way they're still referred to as 'woodwork'. When was the last time any professional club had wooden 'woodwork'?

I've literally spent days trying to answer that question, reading FIFA, UEFA and IFAB documents from 1987 onwards, EU and national safety regulation documents, all the goal manufacturers websites and dozens and dozens of forums...

What I do know:
* Aluminium/steel goals were first tried in 1922 but became the dominating kind in the late 70s/early 80s

* In 1987, FIFA banned the square goalposts pretty much only Hampden Park and some other Scottish stadiums were using at that point (read about the 1976 Europa Cup final for more about that). Some sources also say that goals made out of wood were banned at that point, but I've not found any evidence for it.

* I've heard that some Scottish second division teams used wooden goals (perhaps even with outlawed square posts) in the early 90s but its frustratingly difficult to confirm.

* Some kind of "British Goalpost Standard" document from 2005 says "goals made out of wood are not safe and does not meet European standards". Some kind of EU document from 1998 or 99 (cant remember) confirms this but no mention of when that was decided.

Personally I believe you could find wooden goals in Europe as late as the mid 90s and in poor countries perhaps even early 00s, but this is mostly speculation from my part. At some point I will find the truth and definite answer.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Scunthorpe’s I have a love hate relationship with. I hate them because they are the kind of too close to the pitch, and even when I the stadium, you aren’t sure if the ball is in the goal. But love them because I can instantly pick them out as no one else seems to have ones like it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have to admit, I far preferred the original goals we had at the Goldstone before we moved to the 'D' shaped stanchion design. They were like our own slightly shallower version of the Wembley goals.

Goldstone_Ground_-_geograph-1220106.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Notice anything unusual about the nets and stanchions in this clip?

That is weird - I don't think I've ever seen that at any proper football ground (if you consider the old Manor a 'proper' football ground, of course). Not even at decent non-league ...

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I love this sort of thing. My favorite nets are the Italia 90 ones.
View attachment 134668

Firstly, I liked the hexagons in the net pattern. Secondly, it was a box net that wasn’t too springy. In my humble, but very strong, opinion when a ball smashes into the back of the net it should stay there. All the better if a keeper has to then spend a short while digging it out of a lump of netting.

I spent half my childhood watching my All the goals of Italia 90 video, and I can remember plenty of belters that just kept going when they went in.
Yes. Italian had the best goals and each stadium had different netting and RIGGING.

Euro 92 in Sweden also.

From then it seemed the goals were made generic for each tournament.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Love a good goal net. I have a soft spot for the Wembley goals and our Goldstone goals, of which I have a beloved piece at home. My favourite of all time though has to be the deep, deep nets of Mexico '86.

CeGZsq3WoAAnEES.jpg

Recreated perfectly here by Subbuteo. I had these. Flicking gorgeous.

Subbuteo-Football-Mundial-Goals-Set-61213.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here