Goal Line Technology.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not in favour of this . The injustice of wrong decisions is all part of the game and can work for and against .
Opens it up for further rule tinkering regarding a 3 rd eye camera.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Not in favour of this . The injustice of wrong decisions is all part of the game and can work for and against .
Opens it up for further rule tinkering regarding a 3 rd eye camera.

So injustice and wrong decisions are OK?

This is not tinkering with any 'rule', this is ensuring that the most fundamental law in game is upheld.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
As long as this isn't just for the big boys then I'm behind it 100%

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is the ONLY technology I am in favour of in football, so as long as its not the thin end of the wedge and doesn't lead to cameras being brought in for any other decisions.

I would, however, like the goalposts and bar to light up in a beautiful ethereal electric blue when the ball crosses the line. And an airhorn to go off.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Far more goals are incorrectly given/not given for dodgy offside calls than whether or not the ball crossed the line, which may not happen for months at a time. Why not fix that first?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
This is the ONLY technology I am in favour of in football, so as long as its not the thin end of the wedge and doesn't lead to cameras being brought in for any other decisions.

I would, however, like the goalposts and bar to light up in a beautiful ethereal electric blue when the ball crosses the line. And an airhorn to go off.

This! Plus Celebration by Kool and the gang to be automatically played on the tannoy.

No?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I am in favour of goal line technology AND video replays for contentious decisions, offsides etc.
All this bollocks about the flow of the game being disrupted doesn't wash with me, especially when it already takes around two minutes to sort out the wall for free kicks around the box and game flow doesn't appear to be an issue when the referee wants a word with a player.
Wouldn't mind seeing extended advantage played, 10 yards for back chat and a sin bin while we're at it as well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
...is to be mandatory in the Prem next season. About time too. I just hope it spreads to all all British football at all reasonable levels.

So how do you propose it is paid for by clubs below the premiership, I cannot imagine it will come cheap

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Also if the ball hits the woodwork there should be a big "DINGGGG" like a pinball table

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Far more goals are incorrectly given/not given for dodgy offside calls than whether or not the ball crossed the line, which may not happen for months at a time. Why not fix that first?

I am in favour of goal line technology AND video replays for contentious decisions, offsides etc.
All this bollocks about the flow of the game being disrupted doesn't wash with me, especially when it already takes around two minutes to sort out the wall for free kicks around the box and game flow doesn't appear to be an issue when the referee wants a word with a player.
Wouldn't mind seeing extended advantage played, 10 yards for back chat and a sin bin while we're at it as well.

No.

Goal line technology is a line call - its either over, or it isn't. Very straightforward.

But "contencious" decisions such as fouls and offsides are always going to be down to interpretation and opinion. A camera replay will NOT always resolve that. And if it can't always resolve it, then it cannot be incorporated.

Quite apart from the monstrous intrusion in the flow of play, and how they'd incorporate it (do you stop an attack to review a dodgy tackle ??), it would utterly ruin the game as we know it.

Did the ball cross the goal line - thats all thats needed on the day. And a video review panel on a Monday to catch the blatant cheats and ban them. They'll soon cut that shit out if they know they might be getting a letter on Tuesday morning banning them for 3 games.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
No.

Goal line technology is a line call - its either over, or it isn't. Very straightforward.

But "contencious" decisions such as fouls and offsides are always going to be down to interpretation and opinion. A camera replay will NOT always resolve that. And if it can't always resolve it, then it cannot be incorporated.

Quite apart from the monstrous intrusion in the flow of play, and how they'd incorporate it (do you stop an attack to review a dodgy tackle ??), it would utterly ruin the game as we know it.

Did the ball cross the goal line - thats all thats needed on the day. And a video review panel on a Monday to catch the blatant cheats and ban them. They'll soon cut that shit out if they know they might be getting a letter on Tuesday morning banning them for 3 games.

Problem is you can't get the 3 points back on Monday morning. With the colossal amounts of money at stake, especially in the PL, clubs can't afford to be shafted by poor decision making. I'm not advocating a review of every decision, but certainly penalty decisions and handballs could be reviewed given the impact they have on a game (and potentially a season).

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
No.

But, for instance, the Ukrainian 'goal' against England may or may not have crossed the line, but there was a blatant (i.e. easy to spot) offside missed in the lead up - why allow one bad decision in favour of the attacking team and then rescind one in favour of the defending team few seconds later? If justice was properly done in this case then England would have had a free-kick way outside the penalty box. This 'flow' argument is bogus when the game is stop-start anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports