Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal-line technology,good or bad ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You can just hear Ian Holloway now:

"Now you know me Geoff. I don't want to get into talking about referees and blaming decisions on our 7-0 defeat today, but I'll tell you what, The video referee has had an absolute nightmare today. How he can say my player has touched that ball last which led to a corner for them which came out to one of their players who then crossed it which was then cleared away but then fell out to their player who then played it back to their goalkeeper who then hit it forward to one of their players who then flicked it on for one of their lads to score the 5th, is BEYOND me. It's a joke"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Imagine if the lino stuck to his convictions, raised the flag and THEN found out the guy was onside all along and he stopped a goalscoring chance. People would go bonkers at him.
But that's exactly what we have at present, you don't review flaming offside calls, you review goals scored if there was any doubt about the validity of it, ie was he marginally offside?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Indeed, and if we give the Ref the most data to form his opinion on, that is all we can expect.

But it's not, is it. You just know the next day you'll have Talksport have irate truck drivers ringing up complaining that the ref still made the wrong decision DESPITE having all the information before him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But that's exactly what we have at present, you don't review flaming offside calls, you review goals scored if there was any doubt about the validity of it, ie was he marginally offside?

Right, but what I'm saying is IF the lino flagged offside, thus stopping play, only later to find he SHOULD have let it go, people would be WELL ANGRY. Video offsides would just invite the lino to basically retire. Just let it ALL go and we'll decide after.

Park footy basically.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But it's not, is it. You just know the next day you'll have Talksport have irate truck drivers ringing up complaining that the ref still made the wrong decision DESPITE having all the information before him.

Quite possibly, but you cannot please everyone. Reducing the number of wrong decisions has got to be better than not doing anything because one cannot achieve perfection?

If it had been in operation during South Africa 2010, Lamapards goal would have stood, Germany would have scored more and I wouldn't have had to listen to idiots saying we were cheated out of the tournament.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Right, but what I'm saying is IF the lino flagged offside, thus stopping play, only later to find he SHOULD have let it go, people would be WELL ANGRY. Video offsides would just invite the lino to basically retire. Just let it ALL go and we'll decide after.

Park footy basically.
Sir, do you skim read?... are there gaps in your memory?..... WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT VIDEO OFFSIDES,.. its about reviewing goals, at least the validity of them if there was any doubt in the officials mind, simply that. If the lino flags offside, then stops play ( as is the case now), then we will never know if there would be a goal opportunity would we, that particular future hasn't happened and never will.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Goaline technology is fine, but how would offside technology POSSIBLY work?

The lino would live in absolute FEAR of putting his flag up even if he's sure the guy is offside. He will just be thinking "Oh, I might as well let the play continue and then we'll see after if he was off". Imagine if the lino stuck to his convictions, raised the flag and THEN found out the guy was onside all along and he stopped a goalscoring chance. People would go bonkers at him.

I don't know how it would work. My point was just that football clearly isn't perfect at the moment. I'm not saying I have the answers, but it is right that the questions be asked. Could tech get to the point that it could spot offsides? But also, people ARE going mad at the refs and linos NOW, so I don't really get that point.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
1) and that affects the game of football because.....? 2) It doesn't happen in rugby does it, the decisions are reviewed correctly, we all go home happy.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sir, do you skim read?... are there gaps in your memory?..... WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT VIDEO OFFSIDES,.. its about reviewing goals, at least the validity of them if there was any doubt in the officials mind, simply that. If the lino flags offside, then stops play ( as is the case now), then we will never know if there would be a goal opportunity would we, that particular future hasn't happened and never will.

No I read exactly what you said and I'll put exactly what I said.

I know you're saying only for goal incidents. What I'm saying is the lino may as well let the play go on when there is a goalscoring chance and then find out (if scored) if the guy was off. If there is no goal then the lino is not lambasted. If there is a goal the correct decision is found out via video evidence.

If he put his flag up and the ref blows his whistle as the guy kicks it in the goal everyone would say he should have let play go on. Your basically encouraging the lino to not make a decision because he knows either, the goal is scored and we find out via video if it was legit, or no goal is scored and no one is angry at him.

If you were a lino in that situation you'd never raise your bloody flag.

Is that clearer for you?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No I read exactly what you said and I'll put exactly what I said.

I know you're saying only for goal incidents. What I'm saying is the lino may as well let the play go on when there is a goalscoring chance and then find out (if scored) if the guy was off. If there is no goal then the lino is not lambasted. If there is a goal the correct decision is found out via video evidence.

If he put his flag up and the ref blows his whistle as the guy kicks it in the goal everyone would say he should have let play go on. Your basically encouraging the lino to not make a decision because he knows either, the goal is scored and we find out via video if it was legit, or no goal is scored and no one is angry at him.

If you were a lino in that situation you'd never raise your bloody flag.

Is that clearer for you?
All I can do is groan audibly,.....I will let you have the rest of your day back at this point. Its been fun.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Hawkeye system technology is optical in tennis, and in proposed football scheme.

In tennis, the ball is visible hitting the ground in all but the tiniest percentage of cases.

In football, the situation is more complex.

Watch this short video simulation of how Hawkeye traces the football:

BBC Sport - Goal-line technology: How Hawkeye will work

Note the comments in the video, and the scenarios presented.

Draw your own conclusions.

Bear in mind that the cost of installation is £250k per stadium, every Premier League ground.

Do you think this is good value? Please say why, what will be achieved, and will it effect tactics?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Hawkeye system technology is optical in tennis, and in proposed football scheme.

In tennis, the ball is visible hitting the ground in all but the tiniest percentage of cases.

Bear in mind that the cost of installation is £250k per stadium, every Premier League ground.

Do you think this is good value? Please say why, what will be achieved, and will it effect tactics?

In what possible way would it affect tactics?

"Right lads, now we have goal line technology, lets try and get the ball in the goal"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

1) 250k is nothing to a prem club, although I understand some of the funding is from League sources. 2) why would you not want millimetre certainty about the validity of a goal.

No brainer, but I think the debate has been done to death along with other variations of the technology question.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one because I want to complain about some Goal Line Technology stuff, and this seems an appropriate thread for others to comment on it as it's been half a season since it was introduced.

I think, despite what sky want to tell you, GLT has had very little impact.

It is getting ridiculous, every week they seem to be so desperate to prove it was worth all the fuss to bring in goal line technology that they are using it to show it was/wasn't a goal when it is clear to the naked eye whether it was a goal or not, and trying to act like GLT helped avoid a controversy.

No it didn't. Common sense avoided a controversy, in that it was clear enough whether it was a goal with out GLT.

Today, in the Newcastle/Arsenal game they used it to show that the ball hadn't crossed the line. It hadn't. Nor could it possibly have crossed it, as the GLT animation showed it to be level with the crossbar (i.e. if it had travelled any closer to the goal, it would have hit the front of the crossbar and bounced back away from goal).

Sky really need to stop showing it unless it is actually necessary. I think it has been necessary once (I want to say in a West Ham match, but don't hold me to that) where it was as close as the one in our match v Watford, and GLT showed it hadn't crossed the line, but that is once in 19 match day/weekends, yet there has probably been one in every other televised premier league game.

It's really annoying me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here