Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goal Celebrations "Brainless"

Should goal celebrations be restricted?

• Yes, stop players hugging etc.

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • No, let them celebrate how they like

Votes: 95 64.2%

• Total voters

Being that the players are grabbing, sweating and tackling each other for over 1.5hrs during the game, I have no problem with Premier League players celebrating with each other after a goal.

The players are tested pre game, so in theory they should all be COVID negative.

If there is a concern with players celebrating together, then they shouldn't be playing, full stop. There is far more contact during the game than a hug and high five after a goal.

Exactly......it'll be like saying no marking at set pieces as it's close contact!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If I was in or advising Government on Covid at the moment, I would be doing all I could to draw attention away from the big issues, that's part of a politicians job :shrug:

And she's not oppressing Julian - he hasn't got a Womb

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I love how Brexit obsessed people get it into every conversation.
What the hell has goal celebrations got to do with it?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Just a cheap shot. Either ban professional sport or let them get on with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the utmost respect GB, not all are.

For example, this morning Bishop Hannington church in Hove reverted back to online streamed Sunday services following a PCC meeting on Tuesday.

Since the previous lockdown ended, it had been holding regular morning and evening services.

That said, the services featured 2m distancing, masks, no singing, online booking of places to ascertain attendees, sanitiser on entry/exit and windows open!

Having attended over the last 4 months, I can confirm that it was very safe with around 25 max people in a well ventilated building with a very high roof.

Nevertheless, the decision was taken to go back online for now with cases rising and a considerate, neighbour-loving and sacrificial attitude in mind.

At the present time, it seems to be the right thing to do, at least for us.

Fair enough but I really wasn't having a dig at the church, so much as a conservative politician in all senses of the word who seems to think footballers hugging is the issue, rather than the allowance of some kind (i.e. the kind he approvs of) of indoor gatherings.

I was in my local a couple of times when we were in Tier Two and that also felt safe but I'm glad it is closed at the moment.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fair enough but I really wasn't having a dig at the church, so much as a conservative politician in all senses of the word who seems to think footballers hugging is the issue, rather than the allowance of some kind (i.e. the kind he approvs of) of indoor gatherings.

I was in my local a couple of times when we were in Tier Two and that also felt safe but I'm glad it is closed at the moment.

No worries. We're probably metaphorically singing from the same hymn sheet here, albeit not singing and not in church! :smile:

Since the MP in question has authored several books in the For Dummies series including such diverse topics as the Euro crisis, Retiring Wealthy and The Royal Wedding, one might imagine a first draft of 'Brainless Celebrations for Dummies' is being hastily cobbled together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Knight_(politician)

Either way, politicians would, in general, be better served spending their time focused on their public service rather than criticizing those who play a particular sport.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
When I see footballers celebrating with hugs etc it drives me nuts - more so when you see them spitting every 20 seconds. No need for any of it. They MAY get regularly tested but we know that many players are breaking lockdown rules and catching/spreading covid. It appears that most of them are playing on without sanction. We are constantly being told that footballers are role models. About time they started behaving like role models instead of entitled brats. The impressionable ape people like this and if their behaviour is excused as being naturally instinctive and therefore ok, that gives the green light to almost anything which many of the general population will follow. Perception is everything. Here is a group of so called 'elite' sportsman visibly and constantly setting a very poor example to others, risking both their and others health. If my wife and I cannot drive 5 miles to a golf course and play golf together without seeing or speaking to anyone because it is too risky, how is it unreasonable to expect footballers to appreciate the privileged position they are in and behave in the manner we are asking the rest of society to?

We don’t know that it is ‘many players’ there are just examples that are highlighted just like they are everywhere.

The players are being asked to carry on playing in a pandemic for our own entertainment and on the whole are following the sanctions placed upon them.

Calling them entitled brats etc is a bit much and most sensible people are looking at the celebration thing as a bit of a nonsense given the amount of contact they have outside of those moments.

I would argue footballers are more of any easy target for people to point fingers at but there are far more examples of riskier situations going on outside of football than a few high fives and hugs on a football pitch

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I love how Brexit obsessed people get it into every conversation.
What the hell has goal celebrations got to do with it?

It has nothing to do with it, which is possibly why Julian Knight wants to talk about goal celebrations. If anyone other than a Tory MP had brought it up, you could maybe take it on it's own merits, but the form is that they bring up topics and views with the intention of diminishing the space for other topics in the papers etc.
It is a distraction, much as football itself is, from the Government performance on Covid, Brexit and School dinners.

D

Deleted member 2719

I played men's football for 20 years and seen many goals scored and never ever felt the need for a cuddle and a kiss. High five would be good enough or a ruffle of someones hair.

I can not see why they are cuddling, swapping sweat and swallowing air from their team mates with covid about.
It's the selfish behaviour we are seeing through out the nation and NSC are 65% happy with this behaviour.???

Perhaps these are the covid idiots we should be hunting down???

Wish you had made this a public vote.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I've always found elaborate goal celebrations a little weird, because really, until the final whistle goes you don't know what that goal means. Sure it could be the winner. But equally it could be the consolation. Even late goal's like Solly's v Man Utd might not mean what you think they do in the moment. A fist in the air, high five, sure. But pretending to catch a fish and pose for a photo, pile ons wiith the keeper running the length of the pitch, pretending to swim on the side lines. All seems a bit much for a goal, celebrate more at the final whistle.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think I've always found elaborate goal celebrations a little weird, because really, until the final whistle goes you don't know what that goal means. Sure it could be the winner. But equally it could be the consolation. Even late goal's like Solly's v Man Utd might not mean what you think they do in the moment. A fist in the air, high five, sure. But pretending to catch a fish an pose for a photo, pile ons wiith the keeper running the length of the pitch, pretending to swim on the side lines. All seems a bit much for a goal, celebrate more at the final whistle.

It's funny, I am with many on here when they say this is about deflection. Deflection from a government royally ****ing things up... however!

I do find the goal celebrations, at a time when we are constantly told to keep our distance from our fellow man, a bit of a snub and reeks of elitism, with footballers once again being put above us mere mortals.

NHS staff are tested frequently, but I don't expect to see them high fiving and hugging their colleagues in the car park at the end of a shift!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Bens mop top is starting to look a bit..erm moppish

He is starting to resemble YouTube ubergoon Morgz
maxresdefault.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It has nothing to do with it, which is possibly why Julian Knight wants to talk about goal celebrations. If anyone other than a Tory MP had brought it up, you could maybe take it on it's own merits, but the form is that they bring up topics and views with the intention of diminishing the space for other topics in the papers etc.
It is a distraction, much as football itself is, from the Government performance on Covid, Brexit and School dinners.

And yet the story does not appear on the BBC news home page and does not make any headlines on BBC or Sky news. I also did a quick scan of the Sun and Mail headlines; found nothing.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about it at the end of the day. The Government has the power to shut down professional football for a period of time, if they wish. If the PL don't want that to happen, then they need to give the perception that they (and their members) are being as Covid-19 compliant as possible. Putting the question the other way, how annoyed would we be if football was shut down over something that, whether we agree with it or not, is entirely avoidable? If elbow bumps instead of hugs means that I get to watch Albion v Fulham at the end of the month, I'd take that any day of the week.

Let's not forget that the EPL already sanction celebrations with a yellow card for players whipping their shirts off. That's largely eradicated that, so a similar punishment could do the trick here if they deem it necessary.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
It's a contact sport, they share a changing room. They're all spitting on and rolling around on the same pitch, heading and handling the same ball.

I suppose the FA could enforce a 'celebrate alone' policy, but it wouldn't really make any difference because of the above.

Elite football is one of the few industries where all staff get covid testing twice a week. Just a politician having a pop at football for some reason.

This! 100%.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-for-hugging-in-goal-celebrations-coronavirus
Julian Knight MP, the chair of the digital, culture, media and sport committee brands football goal celebrations as brainless. Is this brainless political virtue signalling by yet another hapless point scoring politician or are brainless footballers irresponsible to celebrate in the usual ways in the Covid era? Please comment.
(Poll added re whether goal celebrations should be restricted)

Apologies if this is fixtures (can't be arsed to read 2 pages of psychobabble) but you can't play unless you have been repeatedly tested and a bit of hot breath at 3 feet will be just as risky as post goal tongues. Julian Knight is a tosser. Probably a rugger boy. Fact.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And yet the story does not appear on the BBC news home page and does not make any headlines on BBC or Sky news. I also did a quick scan of the Sun and Mail headlines; found nothing.

Less successful than he had hoped then, but the BBC and the Mail have covered it, as have others.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think I've always found elaborate goal celebrations a little weird, because really, until the final whistle goes you don't know what that goal means. Sure it could be the winner. But equally it could be the consolation. Even late goal's like Solly's v Man Utd might not mean what you think they do in the moment. A fist in the air, high five, sure. But pretending to catch a fish and pose for a photo, pile ons wiith the keeper running the length of the pitch, pretending to swim on the side lines. All seems a bit much for a goal, celebrate more at the final whistle.

Thankfully we now have VAR. That put an instant stop to goal celebrations, and indeed the entire enjoyment of football, though, didn't it? It did for sure - I read it here, on NSC, :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here