[Football] Glückwunsch Leverkusen!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bloody hell they’ve just scored a last gasp equaliser to draw 2-2 on the night from 0-2 down, 49 games unbeaten and in the Europa final
f*** you!

(I finally located this thread about 5 or 6 pages down to post this news, only to find you've beaten me to it)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
f*** you!

(I finally located this thread about 5 or 6 pages down to post this news, only to find you've beaten me to it)
GIF by ABC Network

Jimmy Grimble

If they end up with the treble, it’s the greatest ever club football achievement, surely?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That was incredible. Leverkusen dropped most of their more attacking players and yet recovered from two very soft penalties to score a ridiculous own goal and a piece of attacking skill from a part time defender, in added time as all their important goals seem to be.

Mrs GB poked her head in to wonder why we weren’t at the Brighton game when the equaliser went in, having heard the celebrations.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
All of Leverkusen's 90+ goals this season

90' vs Ottensen

90' vs Bremen

90+1' vs Leipzig

90+1' vs Stuttgart

90+1' vs Hoffenheim

90+1' vs West Ham

90+2' vs Sandhausen

90+2' vs Qarabag

90+3' vs Qarabag

90+4' vs Bayern

90+4' vs Qarabag

90+4' vs Augsburg

90+5' vs Bayern

90+7' vs Qarabag

90+7' vs Dortmund

90+7' vs Stuttgart

90+7' vs Roma

They've scored 32 goals after 80 minutes in games this season.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
If they do the treble undefeated please can Arsenal stop calling the 03/04 team Invincibles...lost in the League Cup, FA Cup and Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Leverkusen have another good season and does well in the CL, Alonso will be able to choose his next club.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
If they do the treble undefeated please can Arsenal stop calling the 03/04 team Invincibles...lost in the League Cup, FA Cup and Europe.
Jens Lehman acquired the trademark 'Invincibles' from Arsenal recently. So there could be conflicts in the future as the trademark is not owned by the club anymore.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They've already started calling the Leverkusen team the "immortals" so you won't get your wish I'm afraid.

More importantly, that Arsenal achievement was sensational, and they didn't just go a whole league season unbeaten, they continued on until October (and probably would've gone further if it wasn't for one of the worst refereeing performances you'll ever see). It really shouldn't be minimised. They also played the best football I think I've ever seen live (City come close at times but are often mechanical in a way that Arsenal weren't) - unlike Leverkusen, Arsenal didn't trail in any of the last 20 minutes of any of the 49 games. It's a testament to their achievement that Ferguson, Klopp and Pep haven't been able to do it.

Saying all of that, Leverkusen's story may be my favourite, it's so absurdly brilliant and Alonso is so great anyway. If they can get through these last four games, it would probably be the greatest achievement in the history of the sport. It probably is already.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
They've already started calling the Leverkusen team the "immortals" so you won't get your wish I'm afraid.

More importantly, that Arsenal achievement was sensational, and they didn't just go a whole league season unbeaten, they continued on until October (and probably would've gone further if it wasn't for one of the worst refereeing performances you'll ever see). It really shouldn't be minimised. They also played the best football I think I've ever seen live (City come close at times but are often mechanical in a way that Arsenal weren't) - unlike Leverkusen, Arsenal didn't trail in any of the last 20 minutes of any of the 49 games. It's a testament to their achievement that Ferguson, Klopp and Pep haven't been able to do it.

Saying all of that, Leverkusen's story may be my favourite, it's so absurdly brilliant and Alonso is so great anyway. If they can get through these last four games, it would probably be the greatest achievement in the history of the sport. It probably is already.
It’s a great achievement the team is so full of confidence they believe they can’t lose incredible. Interesting to see how next season plays out or is the manager a one season wonder.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It’s a great achievement the team is so full of confidence they believe they can’t lose incredible. Interesting to see how next season plays out or is the manager a one season wonder.
I think the sky is the limit for Alonso. He was always going to be a super-club level manager and I think he's off to Real Madrid whenever Don Carlo decides to call it a day. With the wealth of young talent he'd have available there, it's hard to imagine anything but complete and utter success there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jens Lehman acquired the trademark 'Invincibles' from Arsenal recently. So there could be conflicts in the future as the trademark is not owned by the club anymore.
Can you really trademark an adjective?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports