Day 2 - Timoschenko - won 9 to 1
Day 3 - Fox Premier - placed 11 to 2

Day 4 - 4.10 pm - Homespin - 10 to 1 - 92 out of 100 to be placed

£ 5 each way

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll be on a Battash (3:35, Jim Crowley) and Mirage Dancer (4:40, Ryan Moore) double. That'll be priced around evens at the moment, but I'm hoping Fred will push it out to 6/4 or something.

The treble (including Jubilso in the 1:50) is 4/1 at Skybet but I don't trust Ryan Moore to win on 2 short priced favourites so I'll leave that one alone.

Maybe a small £5 e/w on Royal Intervention (Dettori). Paddies are paying 4 places on that one and money back on the win part if Jubilso wins, so there's value there.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
1350 Billesdon Brook e/w
1425 Biometric e/w
1500 Mojito win
1535 El Astranaute e/w
1610 Eton College e/w
1640 Mirage Dance win

I have put the e/w bets into a .50p e/w yankee. Gosh.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Sadly just the tip of the iceberg.

A horse’s racing “career” lasts about 3 years yet their life expectancy is between 25 and 30 years.

Sadly they often end up at abattoirs, which is fine in my opinion so long as their meat is fit for human consumption and the killing is done humanely. However many are abandoned, sold in ways that makes their future uncertain or just ‘disappear’. Proportionately few go on to ‘retire’ and live out their natural lives.

The horses that are destroyed due to falls or starting stall incidents are bad enough but for those that die of exhaustion it is inexcusable. The sight of a horse at full gallop is something to wonder at, when that same horse is being whipped and struggling to run it is not. More than 500 cases a year of jockeys ‘abusing’ the whip are reported each year and considering how lax the rules are regarding the use of a whip then why are their no prosecutions - beating any other animal in the same way would cause a public outcry.

It is easy to see the priority that is given at racecourses - a doctor is transported around the course during the race so that any
injured rider can be treated immediately - not so a vet, they have to be “called’ to any incident.

Horse racing, as does dog racing, exists purely to feed the gambling industry. Other horse related sports are also open to criticism but I can’t think of one where the vast majority of spectators gamble on the outcome in the same way as they do at horse racing.

One in 20 horses will die during their first year in racing yet the BHA don’t report it like that, they quote deaths as a percentage of runners, 0.2% - the BHA spent an ‘impressive’ £33m on horse ‘welfare’ last year to cover course design, veterinary research, education etc. - or is it really that ‘impressive’ when their total income was £1.8 billion!

The following is a report from Hansard of a debate in Parliament dated October last year regarding what the BHA described as an accident despite an almost exact same incident having occurred at the previous meeting at the same racecourse, Doncaster.

Why do horses die racing? Is it by accident, as the BHA cited in the death of a two-year-old colt last month at Doncaster, or are horse deaths to some extent preventable? In the case of the two-year-old, the BHA shamefully absolved itself and the racecourse of any responsibility for the young horse’s death. I will go through the account of an eyewitness who saw this tragedy unfold. An inexperienced two-year-old colt known as Commanding Officer entered an enclosed starting stall from which to race. The horse became frightened and reared in an attempt to free himself from the all-enveloping stall. Instead of removing this panic-stricken, novice horse from the race, it was decided to blindfold him in the hope of eventually getting him to run. Without his vision, and with natural equine fear, he reared again in the starting stall. The poor design of stalls enabled Commanding Officer to trap a foreleg between the front gates. As he pulled back, blind, to free himself, his foreleg snapped into two as the gates held firmly shut. By design, there is, surprisingly, no quick-release mechanism on the gates to free individual horses from stalls. As a consequence, the colt’s hoof and five inches of bare cannon bone—his shin—were hanging off the end of his leg, held by just a tenuous flap of skin.

The horse was eventually destroyed, but not without immense suffering. The eyewitness described the horse’s destruction as “unbelievable”, and a load of empty syringes were thrown over the screens—those would have contained a deadly cocktail of drugs in a vain attempt to inject the scared and injured animal. The race was held up but still went ahead. As the other horses set off running, Commander Officer’s dead body lay in a white horsebox parked next to the stalls. He was two years old—just a baby.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Day 1 - Beringer - placed 10 to 1

Day 4 - 4.10 pm - Homespin - 10 to 1 - 92 out of 100 to be placed

£ 5 each way
Great tips! How do you do it? Loads of time and effort I guess

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Day 1 - Beringer - placed 10 to 1
Day 4 - Homespin - won 7 to 1

Day 5 - 3.40 pm - Gunmetal - 11 to 1 - 91 out of 100 to be placed

£ 5 each way

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
One in 20 horses will die during their first year in racing yet the BHA don’t report it like that, they quote deaths as a percentage of runners, 0.2% - the BHA spent an ‘impressive’ £33m on horse ‘welfare’ last year to cover course design, veterinary research, education etc. - or is it really that ‘impressive’ when their total income was £1.8 billion![/I]

Interesting numbers to back up the emotive language, care to provide a source? The total income of £1.8bn for the BHA would be a good place to start.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Interesting numbers to back up the emotive language, care to provide a source? The total income of £1.8bn for the BHA would be a good place to start.

I guess Hansard regarding a debate in the House of Parliament dated October last year.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...45-4E15-96A8-9663815EF93F/RacehorseProtection

Politicians are I accept noted for, shall we say, being ‘misleading’ outside of Parliament but deliberately misleading Parliament is taken seriously. The use of the word “income” is I accept ‘misleading”, as is the £33m spent on equine ‘welfare’ - those figures relate to the monies they regulate within the sport, they actually spend nothing like £33m on horse welfare.

Yes both Mike Hill MP and myself have used ‘emotive’ language which seems quite appropriate. Horse racing feeds the gambling industry and gamblers are the source of their income. They should be aware of some of the consequences of their leisure activity.

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I guess Hansard regarding a debate in the House of Parliament dated October last year.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...45-4E15-96A8-9663815EF93F/RacehorseProtection

Politicians are I accept noted for, shall we say, being ‘misleading’ outside of Parliament but deliberately misleading Parliament is taken seriously. The use of the word “income” is I accept ‘misleading”, as is the £33m spent on equine ‘welfare’ - those figures relate to the monies they regulate within the sport, they actually spend nothing like £33m on horse welfare.

Yes both Mike Hill MP and myself have used ‘emotive’ language which seems quite appropriate. Horse racing feeds the gambling industry and gamblers are the source of their income. They should be aware of some of the consequences of their leisure activity.

Unfortunately, he's talking complete sh*te. The BHA did not "gross" 1.8bn, it's just a fantastical figure which even a second or two of consideration reveals to be nonsense. Seriously, £1.8bn? Do you have any appreciation of how much money that is, or how ridiculous it is to claim that it is horse racing's "income"?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Unfortunately, he's talking complete sh*te. The BHA did not "gross" 1.8bn, it's just a fantastical figure which even a second or two of consideration reveals to be nonsense. Seriously, £1.8bn? Do you have any appreciation of how much money that is, or how ridiculous it is to claim that it is horse racing's "income"?

I just said they don’t gross £1.8b - they do however regulate that amount. OFWAT have virtually no income but they do regulate billions of pounds of spend and for example can impose penalties if insufficient is being spent in particular areas.

The BHA appear to have very little interest in the welfare of the horses without which they wouldn’t exist. They appear to have little if any interest if overbreeding takes place, how trainers dispose of their unwanted horses or even more pertinently on how horses are treated at racecourses.

You seem to be concentrating on the money aspect rather than the welfare of the horses - just as the BHA do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here