Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Global Warming

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
with the huge shift away from fossil fuels being touted by global media i am rather non plussed at the news freely available on the net that China (43) and Japan (22) are building over 60 coal fired power stations between them, Indian info on new cfps is currently unavailable but i would imagine it would be equal to China , so, with Egypt and the UAE also planning to build new cfps .
With the hysterical bleatings from the enviro crowd re global warming , rising sea levels etc i cant help thinking that i'm missing something.
i mean with Europe hell bent on zero emissions wtf are the rest of the world up to ...??

The argument goes that Europe has a 150 year head start on burning huge amounts of fossil fuels so China, India and the rest are allowed a bit of leeway to develop, however this argument falls down as Europe in a mad did to meet its net zero has exported most of its heavy production to China, India and the rest! Until we in the developed West set standards regarding how China, India and the rest need as part of specification for production requires renewable energy the problem is it will cost us the consumer

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
with the huge shift away from fossil fuels being touted by global media i am rather non plussed at the news freely available on the net that China (43) and Japan (22) are building over 60 coal fired power stations between them, Indian info on new cfps is currently unavailable but i would imagine it would be equal to China , so, with Egypt and the UAE also planning to build new cfps .
With the hysterical bleatings from the enviro crowd re global warming , rising sea levels etc i cant help thinking that i'm missing something.
i mean with Europe hell bent on zero emissions wtf are the rest of the world up to ...??

It's not financially motivated because it is cheaper to go a renewable route with wind / solar farms that build new coal power stations, so it is politically motivated rooted in archaic economic models where it feels like jobs, GDP are all created if you keep the organ grinding going.

Wierdly, China are also capable of some really cool projects like this floating solar farm:

57906541_401.jpeg

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It's not financially motivated because it is cheaper to go a renewable route with wind / solar farms that build new coal power stations, so it is politically motivated rooted in archaic economic models where it feels like jobs, GDP are all created if you keep the organ grinding going.

Wierdly, China are also capable of some really cool projects like this floating solar farm:

57906541_401.jpeg

Yes mate , that is my point exactly , China are literally light years ahead in technologies in general but they still have a need for coal fired stations. Solar panels , wind turbines and wave harnessing equipment do not manufacture themselves and "the wests" intention to wipe out the use of fossil fuels will just leave them vulnerable at the market place when it comes to purchasing renewable energy technologies currently available and those that will will be in the future , the underlying catch cry from the Asia region is that coal offers by far the cheapest source of energy........one can only hope that these new stations coming on line are advanced enough to have hugely reduces emissions.
another gut wrenching aspect of it from an Australian point of view is that having crushed the union movement the current govt. has got into bed with companies like Adani whose environmental record is appalling and after the construction stage the mines are highly automated so jobs will be at a minimum and largely filled by Indian nationals .....who will all , of course , require special visas ....it's a massive rort.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I'm guessing from the tone of your post that you're not interested in hearing any more 'hysterical bleatings' from the likes of me.

If you want an answer to your post in a nutshell, it is this. There is a conflict between the short-term interests of those in power, and the long-term interests of society as a whole.

This is a common theme in the last days of human societies, before they finally collapse. You and I may well be dead before we see the full reality. Our children though.....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm guessing from the tone of your post that you're not interested in hearing any more 'hysterical bleatings' from the likes of me.

If you want an answer to your post in a nutshell, it is this. There is a conflict between the short-term interests of those in power, and the long-term interests of society as a whole.

This is a common theme in the last days of human societies, before they finally collapse. You and I may well be dead before we see the full reality. Our children though.....

i am open to intelligent debate mate , my kids are in their early 20's and environmentally conscious , they have been dragged around Africa and Asia and have seen numerous shit holes and toxic environments , what i am pointing the finger at is the hypocrisy involved with America and Europe trying their best to cut the use of fossil fuels at huge expense as opposed to the unfettered continuation and expansion of fossil fuel power in other parts of the world whose population dwarfs the previously mentioned entities.....half the population of the globe , thats a lot of sewage , which in itself is a massive problem.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
i am open to intelligent debate mate , my kids are in their early 20's and environmentally conscious , they have been dragged around Africa and Asia and have seen numerous shit holes and toxic environments , what i am pointing the finger at is the hypocrisy involved with America and Europe trying their best to cut the use of fossil fuels at huge expense as opposed to the unfettered continuation and expansion of fossil fuel power in other parts of the world whose population dwarfs the previously mentioned entities.....half the population of the globe , thats a lot of sewage , which in itself is a massive problem.

Is not hypocrisy, it's just leaders (of pretty much every country really, at varying degrees) following their short term interests ahead of the long term interests of their society.

Some countries are worse than others, we need them to change, they won't change unless we change.

Certainly the answer isn't to not bother ourselves because others aren't as fastidious as us, that's an even quicker route to disaster.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The Earth's eccentricity, obliquity, and precession are what is causing climate change.
Nothing you or I do will change that, especially any extra tax in the form of carbon credits.

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
The amount of rainfall is obscene, is this the future of our UK winters? We had a ladybird fly into our office yesterday, surely another sign of how messed up things are as they should be hibernating.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Weather are climate are different things, just incase you didn't realise

2nd warmest year in the UK too despite a mediocre summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here