Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we don't sign a striker, we are in a world of trouble. I can't imagine that we won't though, as it would be utter madness not to. Murray has been amazing for us, but he is not the answer any more.

same thing said every summer

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Murray, if fit, is going to thrive on this style change. Best PL season for goals scored imo. We may need it be be because we are likely to ship a shitload more at the other end

Can’t wait, I am genuinely excited for this season and GM is one of the best forwards in the league for chances created turned into goals.

Will we struggle? Yes of course we will but I had lost the will to go with the shite served up last season so I am just interested in enjoying watching the Albion again. Win, lose or draw.

Exactly how I feel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did Murray loose form ?
Or did we just turn super negative
No, it was the opposite. We turned from negative to positive, and it didn't work.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
same thing said every summer

That's true. But a 36 year old as our No.1 striker in the prem? There aren't many strikers who go clean through and stop.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
If we don't sign a striker, we are in a world of trouble. I can't imagine that we won't though, as it would be utter madness not to. Murray has been amazing for us, but he is not the answer any more.

Don't buy this argument, on the basis of our tactics last season were purely to sit in our own half and rarely try to score a goal. People screamed the same thing in our first season in the league when we didn't sign a striker, we did pretty well all things considered.

Last season, we often saw Murray no further up the field than the half way line. With Andone injured for the first few months of the season and Locadia effectively playing as a wing back. the idea that we are doomed because we haven't signed another striker is a little exaggerated. We do need more fire power, but not desperate for it just yet.

I could be eating my words come January, mind.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think we'll see more goals across the squad, if we can see Murray get 12 and the others grab 5-8 each we'll be fine!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, it was the opposite. We turned from negative to positive, and it didn't work.

And shortly afterwards we turned very very negative and that didn’t work too often either

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And shortly afterwards we turned very very negative and that didn’t work too often either
I don't think it was shortly afterwards, I think it was just for the last few games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it was shortly afterwards, I think it was just for the last few games.

Post Fulham, when was that? Actually no, post Burnley as we were quite adventurous vs Watford and Burnley. So from 23 Feb against Chelsea, felt like much longer tbh

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Don't buy this argument, on the basis of our tactics last season were purely to sit in our own half and rarely try to score a goal. People screamed the same thing in our first season in the league when we didn't sign a striker, we did pretty well all things considered.

Last season, we often saw Murray no further up the field than the half way line. With Andone injured for the first few months of the season and Locadia effectively playing as a wing back. the idea that we are doomed because we haven't signed another striker is a little exaggerated. We do need more fire power, but not desperate for it just yet.

I could be eating my words come January, mind.

I really, really hope you are right.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What is the p next to milosivitch. Penis?

I know that every 2019/20 preview says that we are over-reliant on his goals and that, at nearly 36, he can't possibly continue to do it. However, this was said at the beginning of last year too and I have just noticed that he actually ended up having his best ever return in a top level season, scoring one more goal in our poor 2018/19 than he did in 2017/18. Obviously it can't go on for ever, but in all the clamouring for new blood, it may have been a bit overlooked how lucky we have been to have him. Let's hope Bruno's fitness tips have him ready for one more push.

2018/19 Leading Goal Scorers from Teams in the bottom half of the Premier League:

Wilson - Bournemouth - 14
Murray - Brighton - 13
Barnes - Burnley -12
King - Bournemouth - 12
Milivojevic - Palace - 12 (p)

2018/19 Leading English Goal Scorers in the Premier League:

Vardy - Leicester - 18
Kane - Tottenham - 17
Sterling - Man City - 17
Wilson - Bournemouth - 14
Murray - Brighton - 13

As Locadia and Andone have found, if we do manage to sign a striker, he is going to have to work very hard to dislodge the old boy. When he eventually calls it a day, he will finish in the unique position as being beloved by both us and Palace fans despite scoring goals and winning penalties against both of us in derby matches.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This. With bells on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Post Fulham, when was that? Actually no, post Burnley as we were quite adventurous vs Watford and Burnley. So from 23 Feb against Chelsea, felt like much longer tbh
A long time after Fulham. As you say, we weren't defensive against Burnley (but we were robbed). We weren't too defensive against Leicester (maybe until we were 1 up against 10 men, and then we just seemed nervous). We weren't defensive against Huddersfield, and away to Palace wasn't a great performance, but it we did the job away from home. It certainly didn't feel like a mass change in tactics.

Southampton was the first game where I felt we were too defensive. I'm not sure if it was intended tactics (I don't think it was), or just a bad day for too many players, which lead to nerves. The single goal was when we were messing about with it in our own half, not knowing what to do.

I didn't see us against Chelsea, but away to them it wouldn't be a surprise if we were defensive. But that's not much of a crime.

We were certainly extremely defensive against City in the cup, but that basically worked (we still were in with a chance of a draw). We attacked at the start of the second half and had chances to level the score.

Then against Bournemouth we weren't defensive, we got ripped apart on the break. Similarly we were attacking Cardiff when they scored with a fantastic strike on the break.

The real change in tactics was away to Wolves and then Spurs. Chris had concluded that our attacking football had failed us, and we needed to revert to defensive football in order to keep us in the Premier League (and against Wolves and Spurs, he was right, attacking football wouldn't have worked).

I don't think I'll ever understand what Chris was thinking for our game against Newcastle, with Gross on the right. It was a disaster. The second half, with Solly on the right (I think), was a massive improvement.

Although we started the season playing defensive football, we didn't start dropping points until we changed tactics, and it wasn't until very late in the season we went back to defensive football.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Did Murray loose form ?
Or did we just turn super negative and he got not service playing 40 yards in front of next player on his own?

It's 'lose'.
Yes.
No.
You may want to have a look at some of the sitters he missed in the second half of the year.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's 'lose'.
Yes.
No.
You may want to have a look at some of the sitters he missed in the second half of the year.

He was isolated...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here