Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray - Utter class act last night

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
It was with his back to goal where he was at his best though. Won the ball and laid it off every time. Does it matter what system it is when you have your back to the defender.

Did that every time for us, and a lot more to his game other than that.
Murray & Bennett were 2 stars last year.

Time for January clearout of Painter, Dicker & Calderon; and new goalie please.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
A lot more respect for Murray last night, very class act considering the amount of stick he got (me included) and shook LuaLua and other players hands at half time.

We don't miss Murray whatsoever when we are on Plan A; passing football. First 20 minutes we passed them off the field, and Murray hardly attempted to chase anything down. In that respect, CMS is in a different league. As a striker, CMS is better, and Barnes is probably on par to Murray.

BUT, when it all starts to go wrong, our Plan B is for Casper to lump it up field. That is where we DO miss Murray, painfully. Not once did booting it up field work last night. We haven't got the height nor physicality to do so. I didn't go to too many games last season, but I remember Watford in the FA Cup; we controlled the game on the ground with passing football, but in the second half we did hit the odd long/lofted ball as well, and I remember being impressed with the way Murray (and Wood at that time) held it up and could lay the ball off.

If Gus' advise to the players when the passing starts to break down is to hit the ball long, then I severely question his decision over not trying hard enough to keep Murray. If the man is still living in Brighton then it shows he most likely wanted to stay. I'm still convinced Plan B can be passing football with more movement in our own half to create space. At the moment it isn't, and in games where teams don't allow us to play football, which is becoming increasingly common (Leicester and Palace in less than 2 weeks) then we miss Murray for our current Plan B.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactly. El Pres in tiresome Murray related sanctimony shock. :rolleyes:

[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], just accept that Albion fans were understandably unhappy at him leaving to join our arch rivals. Yes there will be people who take it too far, but he's a professional footballer. I'm sure he's big enough to take being called a wanker by some of our support.

I just think it's a pity that every Murray thread seems to turn into a bitchfest over Ashley Barnes, who incidentally remains our top scorer having scored seven goals. CMS has six. And Murray has just TWO.

I was just as unhappy, but more unhappy at the club in letting him go. You are making out that he deserted us, he didn't. He asked for a three year contract, which is reasonable given his personal circumstances, and we didn't give it to him.

IMO, the Albion f***ed up, not Murray.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was just as unhappy, but more unhappy at the club in letting him go. You are making out that he deserted us, he didn't. He asked for a three year contract, which is reasonable given his personal circumstances, and we didn't give it to him.

No I'm not. I'm making out that I am unhappy that he moved to PALACE. I'm also unhappy at your, frankly, sanctimoneous stance that anyone booing him because of this is a sexual or social inadequate.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
IMO, the Albion f***ed up

Well I don't think we did. We have replaced him with the yet untried Hoskins and bought someone even better in CMS.

As Simster says, he has 2 goals this season. Let's not overdo it, he wasn't f***ing Pele last night. He held the ball up well, and took his goal well (once we had well and truly capitualted). Before that he missed a couple and was generally in Greer's pocket.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No I'm not. I'm making out that I am unhappy that he moved to PALACE. I'm also unhappy at your, frankly, sanctimoneous stance that anyone booing him because of this is a sexual or social inadequate.

I didn't say that, I said that those who were ABUSING him is a sexual or social inadequate. The panto booing stuff is part of the game, as is the revisionist writing of his contribution as a player for the last three seasons. Some of the threats made on here in respect of people who live near him are pathetic, in terms of keying his car and far worse.

Why shouldn't he have moved to PALACE, they offered him a good deal, are you saying he should not have signed to protect your FEELINGS, that is shirley ridicolous.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well I don't think we did. We have replaced him with the yet untried Hoskins and bought someone even better in CMS.

As Simster says, he has 2 goals this season. Let's not overdo it, he wasn't f***ing Pele last night. He held the ball up well, and took his goal well (once we had well and truly capitualted). Before that he missed a couple and was generally in Greer's pocket.

IMO he was the third best striker in L1 last season, Lambert and CMS were ahead of him.

Oct 25, 2003
not only did he not celebrate his goal, but he didn't celebrate their 2nd either (which was the winner really)

if i was him i'd be SO tempted to go absolutely APESHIT and probably do an ADEBAYOR if i scored

well played glenn

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Fine, let him go , but don't bleat about where he chooses to ply his trade.

we didn't let him go. He wasn't ours to let go. He was out of contract and they offerd him a better one (or one mose closley aligned to what he wasnted) than we did . We knew what he wanted. We just didn'#t think his thinking matched with our thinking of what we wanted to offere him. So he rejected it. (and that's the important bit here, HE rejected OUR offer, not the other way round!)

Therefore, as a free agent, he is free to take the best offer that is made to him.

and that was by palace

End of

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

This is correct .

cpfc123

Oct 31, 2010
Littlehampton
He was the difference between us winning and losing and why we should have kept him to link up with CMS.

Not quite. Our midfield dominated and we would of won regardless.

Hdeagle

May 17, 2011
Last night was Jonny Williams full Palace debut and due to recent Premiership interest being shown by Arsenal and Chelsea, Palace have just got him to sign a new long term contract which he did not hesitate to sign.

He has been with Palace since the age of 8 and so his show of loyalty is hardly surprising and in a recent Palace Player interview he expressed his delight in being offered the extended contract and how much he wanted to be involved in our exciting future with the nucleus of the team being made up of our talented Academy graduates who are all on long contracts.

Williams has been part of the Wales Under 21 team since he was 16 and he is definitely one for the future.

On the subject of Glen Murray, he has so far only been able to return from injury in the last couple of weeks and in that time he has scored 2 goals and hit the woodwork 5 times and so his luck was due to change.

Palace fans are very surprised how Brighton allowed him to leave and join us on a free transfer as he looks a very good team player who can bring other players into the game.

Recently Palace have been playing far better than our results have warranted and we are optimistic about our chances this season, having struggled for the past couple of seasons due to poor management and our financial problems which are now a distant memory thanks to our owners who are themselves dedicated Palace fans but have a lot of financial clout due to them being rich successful businessmen.

Looking forward to the return match at Selhurst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here