Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray signs until June 2019

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Yeah, but being on loan means we wouldn't lose 3M if he got injured however cruel that sounds. But your other points maybe valid.

If we left it as a loan, and we did NOT go up, we would be (probably) without his crucial services next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we left it as a loan, and we did NOT go up, we would be (probably) without his crucial services next season.
A sobering but good point.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Pleased for Murray, and this will probably make him try that little bit harder for the rest of the season than if he was still a loan player.

Not sure why the club didn't wait till the end of the season to sought out a deal though. There is always the risk of a bad injury, and that money may have been used elsewhere.

If we don't get promoted, they'll be plenty of other interest in him. We were the only club who could get this deal done in this window, others would have to wait.

More of an insurance signing for me and glad it's done.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Too many people writing off Murray's ability to get it done in the Premier League here for my liking.

There's every chance he's a better player than the one that played for Bournemouth, next year. He's never relied on pace, he sure appears fit to me (never seen him run so much as he has this year.) I think there's at least one maybe two decent PL seasons in him. At the very least he's worthy of a squad place.

I reckon the £3m fee might be based on Glenn scoring a hat trick in the Champions League final, I very much doubt we'll actually be paying that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would imagine Bournemouth would have put a Premier League tax on him should we be promoted and then try to sign him.
And we'd have said no. If we wanted him in the PL, I doubt he'd agree to sign for a Championship club, and having not succeeded with Bournemouth or Palace at PL level, I doubt other PL clubs would have bid much.

Murray knows where he will be next season now so will be a lot more settled and less to worry about personally as well.
Hopefully that helps him.

Presumably we were paying a loan fee which is now cancelled, and the club are happy with the purchase fee, so that's good enough for me.

Welcome home Muzza.

Who's that man from Maryport
Who's that man we all adore
Glenn Murray is his name
and he scores a goal a game
and we won't mention Leo any more

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Too many people writing off Murray's ability to get it done in the Premier League here for my liking.

There's every chance he's a better player than the one that played for Bournemouth, next year. He's never relied on pace, he sure appears fit to me (never seen him run so much as he has this year.) I think there's at least one maybe two decent PL seasons in him. At the very least he's worthy of a squad place.

I reckon the £3m fee might be based on Glenn scoring a hat trick in the Champions League final, I very much doubt we'll actually be paying that.

Absolutely. Glenn will be scoring goals next season, whichever division we are playing in. £3m is a bargain for anyone who scores regularly in the Premier League.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Yep - agree with this.

His record in the PL hasn't been too bad - he scored the winner at Stamford Bridge last season - he just didn't play much and was injured when Palace got promoted.

Given Hogan is going to Villa for £9m or whatever (very odd career move), and his injury record isn't great, even £3m wouldn't look too bad.

And Ibra is doing pretty well for his age......

Chijeff

Jan 23, 2017
Delighted. Stability for all directly concerned. Hope he celebrates on Thursday with a goal. I believe the next game to be absolutely pivotal in our season. After that and perhaps more important Newcastle at home. I'm dreaming 6 points.
Should it happen the wife's in for a treat.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I said in the Summer we'd be having the last laugh over palace in terms for whole Murray saga - a few were quick to say how could we when his goals (penalties) fired Palarse to their (lucky) promotion. Well... This is another nail in that coffin - the final one will hopefully come in May... :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here