Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray hands in transfer request...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
spent most of this season picking up injuries and sitting about in the treatment room - if we can make a profit on him, get rid and bring in somebody of equal ability who also manages to play in more than half the games in the season. knowing the offside rule would be considered a bonus

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'd certainly expect us to recoup the £300k, but I can't see us getting any significant profit on top of that as I thought he was somewhat overpriced to start with.
Its the age old adage about player power though - is there any point keeping hold of a player who wants to leave ? The best case scenario for us I suppose is that his request is turned down, he gets fit, and plays out of his skin to attract an offer that we can't refuse in January. Whether it pans out like that is doubtful though. Maybe we'll get £400k if we're lucky, then Slade can invest that in someone who actually wants to be at the club (hopefully NOT this Simpson guy at Cov though).
Goalscorers cost a lot of money. He scored over 20 goals for Rochdale in the season before we signed him and so £300,000 was actually not a bad deal. Yes he is injury prone yes but his record is exceptional: nearly a goal every two games. So this is very disappointing news, as fit, he would have surely scored 20 goals + next season. I'll expect half a million upwards with a sell on clause.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
His striking & heading are better than any I've ever seen at the withdean. When fit, he's our top man.

Gotta keep him.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
He's quality if fit, his injury is by no means healed and keeps coming back, he will have to prove his fitness before he gets a move i think. If that proves to be the case sign 2 strikers now and bung him in the reserves for showing no loyalty.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If Murray stayed fit, he'd be class, but he hardly ever is, so what is the point ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Goalscorers cost a lot of money. He scored over 20 goals for Rochdale in the season before we signed him and so £300,000 was actually not a bad deal. Yes he is injury prone yes but his record is exceptional: nearly a goal every two games. So this is very disappointing news, as fit, he would have surely scored 20 goals + next season. I'll expect half a million upwards with a sell on clause.

I'll be AMAZED if we get half a million for Murray. That would be up there with the £1.5m "old pals act" between Strachan and McGhee for Virgo.

I doubt whether Russell has such generous friends in the game.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If true, Sky have been known to pull a few clangers in their time, it is horrific news. He is our top striker and with Forster not getting any younger it will be a big responsibility on who ever replaces him to score the goals. Slade was already talking about bringing in a new striker (the Argus) so did he know before the interview or will he need another one on top of that now? Really not the sort of transfer movement I wanted to hear.
The bloke is quality and if he goes whoever gets him gets a gem of a player.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'll be AMAZED if we get half a million for Murray. That would be up there with the £1.5m "old pals act" between Strachan and McGhee for Virgo.

I doubt whether Russell has such generous friends in the game.

The days of us taking too little for a player should be over though. He should be told his is going nowhere unless that kind of offer comes in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely gutted if true. Bar Forster, our best player by an absolute country mile. A long way.

Had TWO injuries last year (despite everyone's very bad memory span it seems, when coming to his supposed injury prone-ness) ONE of which was ENTIRELY caused by Micky sticking him in against Leeds.

Glenn wanted to play in that game despite clearly not being fully fit. Yet not an 100% man? Hmm.

We won't be able to replace him without spending big. He WILL go on to better things than us if he moves. No question.

Jimmy Grimble

His striking & heading are better than any I've ever seen at the withdean. When fit, he's our top man.

Gotta keep him.

Never saw Zamora in front of goal?

Never saw Knight in front of goal?

Never saw Forster in front of goal?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Never saw Zamora in front of goal?

Never saw Knight in front of goal?

Never saw Forster in front of goal?

Whats your point? Murray is a proven goal scorer at this level, we shouldn't lose him. Did you see his goal against Leeds? His second goal on his debut on the volley? The three above put the ball in the net. Murray does it with style..

Jimmy Grimble

He's not a better finisher than Knight was and hasn't been a better finisher than Forster since he's been here.

Not saying he's not a class player as he clearly has superb attributes for a player at this level and will do well wherever he goes. But, he has a looked a little suspect at times in front of goal. Certainly more suspect than any of the aforementioned. All I did was point out to O Lads that there have been better finishers playing for us than Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here