Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Would be fine having him as one of 4 centre backs, Greers recovery time will only get longer each season and we need to plan for his retirement by having 3 others who will carry us forward. So Dunk, Greer, Rea plus another

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely this. Rea has served a few years in the development squad and has now represented the Irish under 21's, albeit in midfield. At what stage is he supposed to be good enough. The Academy is there to bring players through. How are people going to react when the new finish striker and Harper are fit and looking to challenge. Leave them in the development squad and get another senior player in will be the answer by most people. The management obviously hope they will be good enough if we get injuries. Rea has served his time and deserves his chance. I for one want to see young players given their chance. It is no good having them in the under 21's and when they exceed that age they are released because they are too old, that would be a complete waste of having an academy.

I don't disagree with much of that, but if we are going into the new season with Rea as our 3rd choice CB, then we are taking too big a risk IMHO. 4th choice is correct, 3rd no.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it's a matter of serving time to earn a spot. At least, it's not for me. It would be nice to have a conveyor belt of talent from the academy to the first team, but we have to be realistic. We can't just shove people into the first team because they've been with us x number of years. We can't shove someone into the first team just because they made the under 21 team of their national squad (especially when their national squad is not one of the bigger national teams).

It is simply about how good they are. That's it. The club apparently feel he is good enough to straddle the divide between the development squad and the fringes of the first team, but not ready to be seen as a challenger for the starting berth - that is who we are looking to bring in. Seems fair, to me.

Me too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here