Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes Great - let's have faith that the people who actually know will make the right decision. I want to see our products producing and will be encouraged and supportive if a break is given.

It's ok saying that when you don't go to games and live in India. If we threw the kids in then the fans will simply question the clubs ambition or lack of it.

It's not a case of giving the youngsters game time but simply having a decent squad just to be competitive and challenging. Currently this team on paper isn't good enough yet.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What's the point in having an academy and developing good young players if, as soon as they get close to challenge for a first team place, they are deemed (by some) as too much of a risk - how will we ever get any of these players into the starting XI if our fans can't trust them (or the manager) and get them involved here for us rather than leave and let another club benefit instead (Cook and Bournemouth)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think everybody is being blinded by the success of Cook. Obviously he was a good prospect but not near to being the best at our club and in the reckoning for regular first team and as such we allowed him to leave to play football as we had adequate to replace him. Full marks to him he took his chance and progressed many dont like El Abd a good servant, and Hall and others before them in various positions.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What is certain is that one of Rea or Dallison need to go out on loan this season, preferably to a league one club to get match experience and to aid their development. Both are good prospects for the future.

Also Greer will be nearing 36 this time next year, wouldn't be surprised if this season turns out to be his last. Long term sensible plan would to to get an experienced head in this year, pref someone in their mid to late twenties this year with plan of one of the youngsters being third choice next year.
So Greer is 34 then. Oh, and a valued current Scottish International. I know what you mean, but maybe a shade early to write him off for next season.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
It's ok saying that when you don't go to games and live in India. If we threw the kids in then the fans will simply question the clubs ambition or lack of it.

It's not a case of giving the youngsters game time but simply having a decent squad just to be competitive and challenging. Currently this team on paper isn't good enough yet.

Korea at the moment. But I get to games when I can thanks to the kindness of other NSC members. Yes I've not seen Rea or Dallinson in the flesh and you're right to want the very best we can get - but if we have promising talent why not give them some hope that they grasp on to.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rea and Dallison both look good prospects, but no way can we risk them acting as 3rd and 4th choice CB next season. For those who have the memory of a goldfish, we ran the risk of relegation last season, and certainly cannot take a flyer this season by playing too many of the U21's...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rea and Dallison both look good prospects, but no way can we risk them acting as 3rd and 4th choice CB next season. For those who have the memory of a goldfish, we ran the risk of relegation last season, and certainly cannot take a flyer this season by playing too many of the U21's...
One of them should be around for 4th choice and some fizzy pop cup action.

I don't see the need to go 'big' on a centre half unless Dunk goes.
In the meantime we have Dunk & Greer, the squad is also carrying at least 3 senior covering players, 4 if Bong has ever played in the middle.
Sure it's not ideal but Hughes and Halford didn't arrive till late last season and I'd be happy to wait and see who becomes available.

The defence has never let the Albion down, in the AMEX era, I don't see why this season should be any different.

Posters seem unhappy about plugs none existent gaps in defence with kids.
But pleased as punch that is what's being done to the genuine shortfall of quality further up the pitch.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Playing Crawley is one thing playing against the likes of Downing etc is another we need someone more experienced for the starting 11.

But imagine with all his experience GG marking a Downing who's dropped in; sends a shiver down the spine! He could start running now he wouldn't catch him! I think without pace these days your screwed!

Last edited:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Dunk & Ince only got thrown into the team due to injuries.
Yet they proved they were good enough.
Playing them is the only way of knowing if they are good enough.
The trick is knowing when to rest them as the season goes on as they can have a blip...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not against Rea being our 4th choice / getting a few games, but we definitely need to sign an experienced CB... sorry 'give youth a chance posters', but it is just too risky to start the season with only Dunk and Greer as our experienced CB's...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Considering how important a replacement CB is it's slightly surprising that until Upson was named this week as a possible target I don't recall a single name being mentioned. Is he likely to be our main/only prospect? Seems odd.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
What's the point in having an academy and developing good young players if, as soon as they get close to challenge for a first team place, they are deemed (by some) as too much of a risk - how will we ever get any of these players into the starting XI if our fans can't trust them (or the manager) and get them involved here for us rather than leave and let another club benefit instead (Cook and Bournemouth)

Absolutely this. Rea has served a few years in the development squad and has now represented the Irish under 21's, albeit in midfield. At what stage is he supposed to be good enough. The Academy is there to bring players through. How are people going to react when the new finish striker and Harper are fit and looking to challenge. Leave them in the development squad and get another senior player in will be the answer by most people. The management obviously hope they will be good enough if we get injuries. Rea has served his time and deserves his chance. I for one want to see young players given their chance. It is no good having them in the under 21's and when they exceed that age they are released because they are too old, that would be a complete waste of having an academy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely this. Rea has served a few years in the development squad and has now represented the Irish under 21's, albeit in midfield. At what stage is he supposed to be good enough. The Academy is there to bring players through. How are people going to react when the new finish striker and Harper are fit and looking to challenge. Leave them in the development squad and get another senior player in will be the answer by most people. The management obviously hope they will be good enough if we get injuries. Rea has served his time and deserves his chance. I for one want to see young players given their chance. It is no good having them in the under 21's and when they exceed that age they are released because they are too old, that would be a complete waste of having an academy.

I don't think it's a matter of serving time to earn a spot. At least, it's not for me. It would be nice to have a conveyor belt of talent from the academy to the first team, but we have to be realistic. We can't just shove people into the first team because they've been with us x number of years. We can't shove someone into the first team just because they made the under 21 team of their national squad (especially when their national squad is not one of the bigger national teams).

It is simply about how good they are. That's it. The club apparently feel he is good enough to straddle the divide between the development squad and the fringes of the first team, but not ready to be seen as a challenger for the starting berth - that is who we are looking to bring in. Seems fair, to me.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If you take the Chelsea academy as an example,its about 100 plus strong,and the lads never seem to break through into the first team,Chelsea just buy over the top of them,and they end up on loan,or trickle down the leagues. I hope BHA give our lads a chance,rather than buy.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's a classic trilemma: Proven. Affordable. Healthy.

For 86-88 of the 92 clubs, it's "Pick two."

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bit of a non issue really as Hughton has said we are after a centre back. We have to give the youngsters a go though, or there's no point in having an academy that costs 1.5m a season to run. We may as well bin it off and only buy proven players with experience! I'm looking forward to Rea and Dallison getting an opportunity either on loan or with us in cup games or the odd league game if cover is needed. Put Rea in and he's great. Suddenly we have another young player clubs are willing to bid 4m for. Don't give them the opportunity, lose them for pennies, and others reap the benefits of our investment in their development whilst we pay over the odds for some random player another club did give a chance too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here