Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I can see where you're coming from but why would an established CB come here to be third choice? IMO Dunk has to be first choice but as Greer is captain will Hughton drop him? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that as captain he is untouchable merely questioning whether Hughton will continue to pick him based purely on the armband.
46 games plus cup games in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. It would be suicidal to go into the season with just two experienced Center backs.

Rea and Dallinson need to be eased into first team action, That's if they are even ready.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
46 games plus cup games in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. It would be suicidal to go into the season with just two experienced Center backs.

Rea and Dallinson need to be eased into first team action, That's if they are even ready.

True but how many games did Hughes play last season? He spent most of his time on the bench. Why would an experienced CB want that job?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
True but how many games did Hughes play last season? He spent most of his time on the bench. Why would an experienced CB want that job?

Hughes was an option who kept Dunk and Greer on their toes?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't really understand why we didn't get Halford back. I can't believe we lost out on wages to Rotherham.

Assuming we do get a CB in, we can't afford to send Rea out on long term loan in case of injury. So how does he get experience?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't really understand why we didn't get Halford back. I can't believe we lost out on wages to Rotherham.

Assuming we do get a CB in, we can't afford to send Rea out on long term loan in case of injury. So how does he get experience?

Just like Walton got experience. Cup games?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
if he's good enough then happy for him to be in there . Better than a loan that doesn't care . Bit of a risk until he's proven good enough in games though . Need 1 more for sure . Think we can wait until sept for this though .

What we can't wait for is this creativity issue . Less than 2 weeks to go and we appear to be scratching about still . Articles about March and rea stepping up don't really send out the right signs that we are getting what we want Recruitement wise .

I've lowered expectations right down and now would be happy with just Marshall and nothing else . Pretty sad state of affairs really . Still hoping may change

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hughes was an option who kept Dunk and Greer on their toes?

True but no experienced CB wants to just be keeping Greer and Dunk on their toes. There was s piece in the Argus at the tail end of last season about how frustrated Hughes was about not playing. I just think it will be very difficult to convince an experienced pro, especially one of the calibre people want, to come to us simply to warm the bench especially when the two centre backs ahead of him will be the captain and the club's "future".

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
True but no experienced CB wants to just be keeping Greer and Dunk on their toes. There was s piece in the Argus at the tail end of last season about how frustrated Hughes was about not playing. I just think it will be very difficult to convince an experienced pro, especially one of the calibre people want, to come to us simply to warm the bench especially when the two centre backs ahead of him will be the captain and the club's "future".

I get what you are saying but Pay them the right money and give them a pay rise Then if they believe in themselves I can't see an issue .

Only issue is us doing the above or competing if more than one club in for them .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know he had a half season of non league (albeit in a struggling side) but is that enough to make him more "Championship-ready" than Rea? Not convinced

But what makes Rea more ready? He does have a good attitude, but when I've watched the U21s, he is prone to diving in and his distribution isn't the best, plus as a championship CB, I wonder if he is a little short.

Whereas Dallison is more cultured, passing is better and looks physically bigger.

The good news is both are ours and may get their chance sooner rather than later.

I think Rea will end up as a defensive midfielder.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
What is certain is that one of Rea or Dallison need to go out on loan this season, preferably to a league one club to get match experience and to aid their development. Both are good prospects for the future.

Also Greer will be nearing 36 this time next year, wouldn't be surprised if this season turns out to be his last. Long term sensible plan would to to get an experienced head in this year, pref someone in their mid to late twenties this year with plan of one of the youngsters being third choice next year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We simply cannot go into the season with him starting or even as 3rd choice, another established experienced centre half is vital before the season starts

An obvious solution is to bring Upson back for 1 year to do the same back up job that Hughes did. The reason we didnt sign Halford was that he was not good enough as a a first choice and probably too expensive as back up.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People saying we need someone older than Rea or Dallison to 'keep starters on their toes'.......... well that person is Greer! Rotate him in occasionally if needed but sign one late twenties or early thirties CB and done. Now I know that's not easy but could in a funny way be just as easy as finding someone 'past their best' to sit on the bench. Give somebody with a little experience the chance to start here every week

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
People saying we need someone older than Rea or Dallison to 'keep starters on their toes'.......... well that person is Greer! Rotate him in occasionally if needed but sign one late twenties or early thirties CB and done. Now I know that's not easy but could in a funny way be just as easy as finding someone 'past their best' to sit on the bench. Give somebody with a little experience the chance to start here every week

This seems the obvious solution to me. Bring in a c.b with the intention that they will be a starter or at the very least challenging for a starting position. Over the last few years we've done best when we've had three players capable of being starters - Greer, El Abd and Elphick in 2010/11 and Upson, Greer and Dunk 2012-14. Two out of the three senior players start each game(dependant on form, fitness and suspensions), Rea can then gain experience in cup games and being on the bench throughout the season. Everyone wins.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

CH didnt want Halford back

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Who's to say Greer will stay fit?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rea should be 4th choice this season, surely? This means we need to sign a CB to challenge GG and Dunky for a starting place in the first team. This signing should be completed by now, and certainly before the season starts. As ever, the club has failed to deliver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here