Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Murray

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, Glenn Murray is now cup tied, reducing his value.

Seems to me that Palace are not bothered by that, meaning either that they are not interested in selling him, or that the buying club is already out of the cup - step forward Nottingham Forest.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Seems to me that Palace are not bothered by that, meaning either that they are not interested in selling him, or that the buying club is already out of the cup - step forward Nottingham Forest.

Forest can't sign anyone. They are embargoed.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

the man's right. Forest have a buy ban. I did not enjoy having to give you a thumbs down. It hurts, believe me!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the man's right. Forest have a buy ban. I did not enjoy having to give you a thumbs down. It hurts, believe me!

I think the deal is: they can sign players, but only if they earn a fair bit less than the ones they currently have.

Which I guess sounds good on paper, but if you have players on massive wages in the first place, then you might be able to sell one of them and replace him with someone also on (relative to other Championship clubs) huge wages, but which are just slightly lower than the guy you sold. Is that how it could work?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the deal is: they can sign players, but only if they earn a fair bit less than the ones they currently have.

Which I guess sounds good on paper, but if you have players on massive wages in the first place, then you might be able to sell one of them and replace him with someone also on (relative to other Championship clubs) huge wages, but which are just slightly lower than the guy you sold. Is that how it could work?

I believe it is that they have to cost 75% of the sold player, or 600k a year, whichever is lower, so I suppose it depends on how huge 600k a year is in championship terms. (I tend to believe people have warped ideas about what championship wages are, and have no idea myself).

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The clubs will still be allowed to sign players in January if they have 24 or fewer players over the age of 21 who have made at least five starting appearances for the club in total.

Any of these signings must not cost the club a transfer fee and must cost less than £600,000 a year.

Clubs with 24 or more players fitting the criteria will be allowed to trade players on a 'one out, one in' basis.

In addition:

Clubs under an FFP embargo will be permitted to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency basis, in line with existing regulations.

Clubs under an FFP embargo will not be permitted to pay transfer fees or compensation fees for professional players.

Clubs under an FFP embargo will not be permitted to pay a loan fee to another club, they may only pay the player's wage, or a contribution towards it.

For incoming players, clubs can only pay agents' fees as a benefit in kind to the player in question, as long as they do not exceed the £600,000 employee costs limit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks [MENTION=570]beardy gull[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

I'm sure there will be loopholes to exploit but that's a bit more reassuring. If that £600,000 is for wages alone, it equates to £11, 500 per week. Those poor, poor footballers :cry:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As the commentary team cleared up, it was clearly a stonewall penalty.

Erm...

1h ago14:40
Dover 0-3 Palace

81 mins: Zaha skips past Sterling and goes to ground, claiming a penalty, but nothing is given. There was a tiny bit of contact, but not much - there’s not much dignity in going down easily at the best of times, but against a Conference side you’re beating 3-0 with nine minutes left...

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Have a look at the incident yourself. He beats his man and bursts into the box, Sterling sticks a leg out and clearly catches him. Even Robbie Savage knew it was a penalty.

Contact = pen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here