Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Johnson tweet

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Merson said "Johnson couldn't defend for toffee" so after the blackburn game he tweeted this apparently: "Comments from alcoholic drug abusers are not really gonna upset me and who is Paul Merson to jugde players, He was average at the best of times, the only reason he's on that show is... coz he gambled all his money away. The clown."

Both are right though :lolol:.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I thought Merson was a good player and I'm pretty sure he achieved more than Johnson has so far (nothing basically).

He does have shit for brains though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Let's hope Glen Johnson never suffers from alcoholism, drug abuse, various other addictions and gambling.

Merson still hit heady heights despite his problems. What has £18m Johnson achieved thus far?

Glen Johnson

Chelsea
Premier League
League Cup

Portsmouth
FA Cup: 1
Barclays Asia Trophy: 1

Paul Merson

Arsenal
First Division/Premier League - 1988-89, 1990-91,
FA Cup
Football League Cup
Cup Winners' Cup
FA Community Shield

Portsmouth
Division One 2002-03 (Winner)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well, he has already played more times for England and is only 26...

Playing for the national side isn't a great indicator. We are not particularly blessed with right backs anyway. Maybe if Merson hadn't been suffering in silence, he might have achieved a great deal more.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Johnson is better than Dixon. Merson can and should only compare the two.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Merson was a pisshead who BOASTS about it now. I have witnessed this first hand twice in the last few months. He gets thousands of pounds to show off about past exploits at functions and dinners and laps up the adulation he gets 'from the lads'. If you've heard about his and Adams behaviour (from the horses mouth) i'd be very surprised you'd have any sympathy for him.
Johnson isn't the worlds best player but at least he hasn't pissed his career up a wall.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the thing is, and this might have passed Merson by, the full backs are more of a winger with the current tactics in fashion. i dont think Johnson is a great defender he's pretty good at what he's asked to do, get forward and support attacks.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well, he has already played more times for England and is only 26...
Pretty sure England play a lot more friendlies now than they would have then, and rightback is probably an easier position to get games for England than number 10.

I doubt he'll ever win a league title or European competition. If Merson was average than Johnson is certainly very average at best.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Merson said "Johnson couldn't defend for toffee" so after the blackburn game he tweeted this apparently: "Comments from alcoholic drug abusers are not really gonna upset me and who is Paul Merson to jugde players, He was average at the best of times, the only reason he's on that show is... coz he gambled all his money away. The clown."

There's a 140-character limit on Twitter so he couldn't have tweeted that - not even close.
In fact, if you go to his Twitter page, there's no mention of it http://twitter.com/#!/glen_johnson, just some bizarre tweets about shop-lifting a toilet seat.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Johnson is woeful. Hoping that Kyle Walker will do well on loan at Villa and break into the England squad, its ashame Gibbs is left footed.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
There's a 140-character limit on Twitter so he couldn't have tweeted that - not even close.
In fact, if you go to his Twitter page, there's no mention of it http://twitter.com/#!/glen_johnson, just some bizarre tweets about shop-lifting a toilet seat.

Good Night Every1 ;)
less than 5 seconds ago via ÜberTwitter

Can't be him, he's got a match in a few hours?

Didn't he get accused of stealing a toilet seat at Portsmouth years ago? By putting an expensive one in a cheaper box?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
At the SOL drinks with Poyet the other week, he said that Glen Johnson is the worst defender in England, and he wouldn't get in the Albion side!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Merson was a pisshead who BOASTS about it now. I have witnessed this first hand twice in the last few months. He gets thousands of pounds to show off about past exploits at functions and dinners and laps up the adulation he gets 'from the lads'. If you've heard about his and Adams behaviour (from the horses mouth) i'd be very surprised you'd have any sympathy for him.
Johnson isn't the worlds best player but at least he hasn't pissed his career up a wall.

He hasn't needed to touch booze to go off the boil. Just his own piss poor attitude. Ask Liverpool fans what they make of Johnson and then ask Pompey/Arsenal fans what they make of Merse. That should tell you all you need to know about their relative merits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here