Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glazers selling up?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'll add that to my Notepad document. "Old and born in a geographically convenient place to go to Brighton games".
That might have some merit if I had stopped supporting Brighton when I moved nearly 7 years ago and still manage to get to games with a 12 hour round trip journey.

I support Brighton coz they are an amazing team - which is why I worked closely with Steve Bassam and others to get the Falmer site approved and continue to support Brighton because I love the ethos of the club.

I just don’t have the hatred in me towards other clubs however justified that might be my dislike is more to do with how they are run and funded -( apart from yes, I hate Newcastle and probably Chelsea - oh and AV, yes, and definitely Palace …there’s probably others …😉)

I just now have a sinking feeling all this sale means for the PL is more stinking dirty money ruining competitive football

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That might have some merit if I had stopped supporting Brighton when I moved nearly 7 years ago and still manage to get to games with a 12 hour round trip journey.

I support Brighton coz they are an amazing team - which is why I worked closely with Steve Bassam and others to get the Falmer site approved and continue to support Brighton because I love the ethos of the club.

I just don’t have the hatred in me towards other clubs however justified that might be my dislike is more to do with how they are run and funded -( apart from yes, I hate Newcastle and probably Chelsea - oh and AV, yes, and definitely Palace …there’s probably others …😉)

I just now have a sinking feeling all this sale means for the PL is more stinking dirty money ruining competitive football
Put him on ignore. It's so much easier.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ok fair enough— I didn’t read the room - honestly didn’t realise the antipathy felt on NSC toward Man U!
Ah, new here.

For me and probably a lot of old timers, we lived through the era of Man Utd dominating everything. With the biggest pot they bought/stole the best players. With the most arrogant manager that would bully and cajole officials into doing what he wanted (Fergie Time was a fact) and hordes of kiddies buying into the whole plastic fan stuff, they have created an entire generation of entitled fans who are so full of shit that it makes a sewage plant look hygienic. They don't 'deserve' anything. Like everyone else they need to earn it, which most MU fans fail to see.

It's nothing short of wonderful what's been happening to them over the last 10 years.

Yes I dislike Chelsea, but it can't compare to decades of utter hatred of Man Ure and all that they stand for.

As an aside, I lived in Prestwich in the early 80s for a year when I left school. If anything it intensified my utter loathing for MUFC.

Hope this helps (y)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Get on

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I assume you didn't get roped into playing any gigs with The Fall?
I know this wasn’t directed at me but I do remember standing at a bar at a gig, completely off my face, telling some bloke I played drums. He said you should come and have a jam, I was like, ‘yeah? Who do you play for then?’ He said ‘New Order’ - without a pause I said ‘another JD and Coke’ to the barman, turned back to him and said ‘I really don’t play that well 😁 - so legless was I, I didn’t realise I’d been talking to Steve Morris for the past 20 mins.

So admittedly my apparently very misguided support of Man U at the time was probably due to the fact I was drunk the entire time I lived there and on various other substances! 😎

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah, new here.

For me and probably a lot of old timers, we lived through the era of Man Utd dominating everything. With the biggest pot they bought/stole the best players. With the most arrogant manager that would bully and cajole officials into doing what he wanted (Fergie Time was a fact) and hordes of kiddies buying into the whole plastic fan stuff, they have created an entire generation of entitled fans who are so full of shit that it makes a sewage plant look hygienic. They don't 'deserve' anything. Like everyone else they need to earn it, which most MU fans fail to see.

It's nothing short of wonderful what's been happening to them over the last 10 years.

Yes I dislike Chelsea, but it can't compare to decades of utter hatred of Man Ure and all that they stand for.

As an aside, I lived in Prestwich in the early 80s for a year when I left school. If anything it intensified my utter loathing for MUFC.

Hope this helps (y)
Their manager also went out of his way to write a letter to the FA urging to do something about the Brighton ownership when we were being asset stripped. Who else in a position of influence within the game bothered to do that?

Apart from that, I really don't see much difference between them and several other big clubs who historically hoovered up the soulless and/or glory hunting football support in Sussex. This utter hatred towards them over and above that directed at Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and so on is absolutely baffling to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some speculative buyers include Sir Jim Ratcliffe (richest Brit, owner of Ineos, previous interest), Dubai (do they own other club? keep up with the neighbours), and Facebook. bit leftfield that one.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
some speculative buyers include Sir Jim Ratcliffe (richest Brit, owner of Ineos, previous interest), Dubai (do they own other club? keep up with the neighbours), and Facebook. bit leftfield that one.
At least Ratcliffe is a fan but it’s questionable he has the funds for the amount of capital investment the club is wanting, which makes Dubai based consortium a viable alternative. There maybe renewed interest from Jim O’Neill too (but Glazers again may hold out for more than he could afford) and Conor MacGregor (who is also a fan) is also unlikely to have capital investment funds for stadium upgrades - it will be interesting to see how the sale of Liverpool affects what the Glazers will hold out for - there can’t be that many potential buyers who could afford the purchase of a top 6 club - IMO, it will more likely go to a patched together consortium of business interests (Chinese, Middle East or US/UK?) and maybe fronted by Beckham or a bunch of other ex-ManU players - maybe Neville and Giggsy will be looking for a new investment interest if they sell the Stock Exchange!

Facebook? Where did that come from?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

In a post-fossil fuel world, this is just going to get worse imo as oil-producing States with investment bodies like PIF increasingly look to Global sports to prop up their governments. 😕 Edit - Plus more influence/bribe money to throw around at FIFA - 2030 WC Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE?

Despicable if Saudi money acquires Man U and Liverpool (or either) - enough is enough ffs.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought you meant Chrystal palace…

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely the Saudis can’t acquire United under the rules against owning multiple clubs in the same league? Although buying them and then using Newcastle as their feeder club would be tremendous fun after the way the Toon fans reacted.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Apple joining the likes of Facebook and Amazon for expressing interests (but it’s the Daily Star so possibly bollox)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Surely the Saudis can’t acquire United under the rules against owning multiple clubs in the same league? Although buying them and then using Newcastle as their feeder club would be tremendous fun after the way the Toon fans reacted.
They can if they are private business interests (like the so called ’independence‘ of the PIF from the Saudi Govt.)

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apple joining the likes of Facebook and Amazon for expressing interests (but it’s the Daily Star so possibly bollox)
rumour is growing... they all have an awful lot of cash floating around with not much to do. would expect them to start with US franchises, but i can see them buying in on the media/content angle.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
70C1B702-7117-408C-85E5-07D787831BC6.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
because the Glazers saddled the club with huge debts, failed to invest in infrastructure and made some very poor strategic investments over the years
Given they pretty much stumped up zero to buy the club, have taken plenty out along the way and stand to now trouser between 5-6bn in a sale Id say they made some very good strategic investment decisions over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here