Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury revisited on The BBC this weekend

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The whole set is on BBC 2 at 9.30 Sunday night.

First time the set has been shown on TV in its entirety.:rock:punk:

Thanks for that was going to ask when it was on, set up to record :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Loved fhe Arrhur Lee set, songs that are over 50 years old and don’t sound dated.

Now that Oasis 1994 set, is it just me that thought all the songs sounded much the same with two brothers trying way too hard to be “cool”. Very underwhelming to me :shrug:

Oh and I have never “got” PJ Harvey, shouty woman.

PJ Harvey does her own thing, and shouting hasn't really featured in her recordings for decades. One of my very favourite female artists although, while we're on female artists, I'm not convinced that we've ever had such a quantity of quality as we do currently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wish they'd put the 2017 show on for Radiohead. It was incredible art.

Oh, agreed. I said as much when the line-ups for this BBC Glastonbury w/e were announced a month or so ago, and some kind poster provided a youtube link to it. After the 97 set, we watched the In Rainbows recordings that the band have put up (alongside a whole number of gigs) on youtube. It's amazing, I'd highly recommend it, not just because it's one of their best albums, but also because the sound on this is even better than on the album.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I wish they'd put the 2017 show on for Radiohead. It was incredible art.

The 2017 was a cracker. They finally won me over to their post-OKC stuff, I really enjoyed what they did. Also they pulled out all the early classics that I wanted to hear. I was stood at the back of the field by the tree in very good company and just had the best night. It was a special set.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know it’s all on youtube but we will be watching on tv!

Looking forward to seeing Arthur Lee doing Forever Changes, The Stones and controversial this, the magnificent Coldplay who I love watching playing live!

Are you watching, who will be your highlights?

Who should I watching from the more modern era? Not going to be watching any electronic bands however much they are recommended :lolol:

I watched Love last night . . . . Took me back to the DOme in early 2003. The best gig I've ever witnessed I think, although back stage at Paul Weller last summer was quite good ;-)

Best Glastonbury for me was 1993 . . . Saturday evening, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, followed by Paul Weller.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A cold and wet one. Looking forward to watching more great highlights in the warm later.

2C86CAE4-C64C-454C-8BA3-FF5E4818C75E.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
PJ Harvey does her own thing, and shouting hasn't really featured in her recordings for decades. One of my very favourite female artists although, while we're on female artists, I'm not convinced that we've ever had such a quantity of quality as we do currently.

I saw Joan Armourplating at Glasters either 93 or 94, superb.

Oasis were crap

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh, agreed. I said as much when the line-ups for this BBC Glastonbury w/e were announced a month or so ago, and some kind poster provided a youtube link to it. After the 97 set, we watched the In Rainbows recordings that the band have put up (alongside a whole number of gigs) on youtube. It's amazing, I'd highly recommend it, not just because it's one of their best albums, but also because the sound on this is even better than on the album.

I get annoyed with myself when I watch or listen to highly rated artists and just don’t get it. She is one of those for me :shrug:

The 1994 performance from Oasis I saw last night, the same. I thought they were shit!

I love music and like to think that I am open minded so it’s annoying that I struggle to like or appreciate artists that so many others rave about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The 2017 was a cracker. They finally won me over to their post-OKC stuff, I really enjoyed what they did. Also they pulled out all the early classics that I wanted to hear. I was stood at the back of the field by the tree in very good company and just had the best night. It was a special set.

Envy is not a terribly positive emotion but perhaps on this occasion you would forgive me? You are very fortunate to have been present, it was outstanding, quirky and beautiful in places, and somehow seemed to me to be an instance where the sum of the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Envy is not a terribly positive emotion but perhaps on this occasion you would forgive me? You are very fortunate to have been present, it was outstanding, quirky and beautiful in places, and somehow seemed to me to be an instance where the sum of the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

You nailed it, great description. I consider myself fortunate to have been there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I get annoyed with myself when I watch or listen to highly rated artists and just don’t get it. She is one of those for me :shrug:

The 1994 performance from Oasis I saw last night, the same. I thought they were shit!

I love music and like to think that I am open minded so it’s annoying that I struggle to like or appreciate artists that so many others rave about.

Don't get annoyed with yourself. Taste is ultimately subjective, and much musical taste is driven by biographical details (although that's become less pronounced with the way in which music is consumed over the last decade or so).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and I have never “got” PJ Harvey, shouty woman.

[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION], listen to her last two albums Let England Shake and The Hope Six Demolition Project. You will be surprised and in for a treat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We can’t like everything. I have a deep, and fairly broad, love of music and also consider myself open minded. But there’s bands, and even genres, I don’t get much from. Don’t get annoyed with yourself, just move onto something else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enough of that. What have you been eating today?

Ha ha. Not much as it happens. I flew home earlier and have only had a Boots meal deal at Heathrow and an in-flight meal of a bag of crisps and a bottle of water. But, I did bring 3 CinCin-at-home Lasagne verde with 18 slow cooked pork shoulder as my hand luggage. 2 in the freezer, one for dinner tomorrow!

Off here tonight to catch up with the wife http://www.rhinoceros-berlin.com/

“Rhinoçéros, our small, modern Jazzbar, that was built around a beautiful Vintage Soundsystem and an always growing record collection. We play vinyl only and every now and then we even present Live Music. ”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ha ha. Not much as it happens. I flew home earlier and have only had a Boots meal deal at Heathrow and an in-flight meal of a bag of crisps and a bottle of water. But, I did bring 3 CinCin-at-home Lasagne verde with 18 slow cooked pork shoulder as my hand luggage. 2 in the freezer, one for dinner tomorrow!

Off here tonight to catch up with the wife http://www.rhinoceros-berlin.com/

“Rhinoçéros, our small, modern Jazzbar, that was built around a beautiful Vintage Soundsystem and an always growing record collection. We play vinyl only and every now and then we even present Live Music. ”

Well, I'm doing better than you so far today. I've also been tempted to get a CinCin lasagne, but the timing of availability hasn't quite worked.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been some cracking stuff on tonight, Winehouse, ELO, Gaga and an epic few songs from REM, never saw Stipe sing Everybody Hurts with such personal feeling. you can see in his eyes how moved and emotional the song is for him. Amazing stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here