Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looking forward to any Bowie set

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never mind, you posted it, so I slipped into Sherlock mode. [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] might be interested too

He just might be. Cheers.

Radiohead have been great lately, adding many full old live sets to their YouTube channel. Lots of good stuff in there.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The whole Guardian article...cant find any Radiohead ...

You just have to hope that this time next year all will be ok and magnificent events like this can take place

The final weekend of June should have seen 200,000 revellers descend on Somerset for the 50th anniversary of the Glastonbury festival. With the event cancelled owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the BBC has announced extensive broadcast plans celebrating the British music institution from 25-29 June.

David Bowie’s headline set, from the year 2000, will be shown in full for the first time ever as part of the coverage across BBC Two, BBC Four and iPlayer. The coverage will also feature full headline performances from Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Adele and Coldplay.

Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis said: “I’m looking forward to a weekend of reflecting on the history of our festival and going back to some classic performances from David Bowie, Adele, REM, Beyoncé, the Rolling Stones, Jay-Z, Billie Eilish and lots more. Me and my dad will definitely be watching.” Eavis will join Lauren Laverne on the BBC Radio 6 Music morning show on 26 June.

Across three nights on BBC Two from 26-29 June, the BBC will celebrate memorable performances from the broadcaster’s 23-year partnership with the festival, including sets by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, REM, PJ Harvey, Baaba Maal, Amy Winehouse, Blur, Lady Gaga, Dizzee Rascal, Toots and the Maytals, Arctic Monkeys and the Rolling Stones. On the afternoon of Sunday 28 June, just as Diana Ross was due to perform at the festival’s fabled legends slot, BBC Two will dedicate a programme to the venerable artists who have soothed the Sunday teatime crowd.

Kylie Minogue performs in the ‘legends’ slot on the Pyramid stage, 30 June 2019.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Kylie Minogue performs in the ‘legends’ slot on the Pyramid stage, 30 June 2019. Photograph: Samir Hussein/WireImage
Advertisement

Acoustic performances will form the basis of the programming on BBC Four, featuring the likes of Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Kano, Leon Bridges, Patti Smith, Richie Havens and Youssou N’Dour. Sixty full festival sets will be available on-demand on iPlayer, including shows by Florence and the Machine, Christine and the Queens, Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish, Foals, the xx, The Killers, Lewis Capaldi and Radiohead’s historic 1997 headline set, which the group famously described as “a form of hell” thanks to technical difficulties.

A specially commissioned film, The Best of BBC Music Introducing at Glastonbury, will chronicle the major stars who played the festival’s new music stage earlier in their careers, including Sheeran, George Ezra, Nao and Celeste. Julien Temple’s film Glastonbury, celebrating the history of the festival, will be shown on 25 June on BBC Four.

Glastonbury ponchos are repurposed as anti-coronavirus PPE
Read more
Young viewers can earn a Blue Peter music badge by performing, dancing or creating DIY festivals as part of the historic children’s show programming on 25-26 June.

National and local BBC radio programming will feature extensive coverage of the festival’s history. BBC Radio 1 Xtra will reflect on historic sets by Jay-Z, Stormzy and Dave. BBC Radio Somerset presenter Andy Bennett will broadcast across eight south-westerly radio stations, talking to acts who would have performed this year, regular festival goers, Pilton villagers and the festival’s production team.

Lorna Clarke, the BBC’s pop controller, said: “Glastonbury festival has for decades been a huge moment in the BBC’s music calendar, thanks to Michael and Emily’s magical creation. Even though Worthy Farm can’t be full of thousands of music lovers this year, the BBC will celebrate with four days of memories and archive footage to give our audience a taste of the festival in their own homes.”

Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar were due to headline the 2020 festival. The organisers have not yet announced plans for next year.

Gutted it’s been called off this year, would have been a great release from the current situation but at least we haven’t got to go through the dreaded ticket scramble for next year.
Looking forward to this , might have to rig a TV up in the garden.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Had tickets to shambala festival which was cancelled yesterday [emoji852]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was there for that Bowie set. Except I chose to watch someone else. ****ing hell.:ffsparr:

That's what happens at big festivals and, especially, Glastonbury: you're always wondering whether it's worth the effort to get to a big, popular act, for it tends to be an enormous effort, the alternative is to go and see one of the plethora of other acts that are on at that moment and are easy to get to.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Has it been cancelled yet?

Zero chance of it happening Shirley?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Has it been cancelled yet?

Zero chance of it happening Shirley?

You said this 10 mins ago on Euros thread "Some news stories about Glastonbury yesterday -I think there is zero chance of that happening in June with Covid around."

Doubt very much there has been a further news update in last few hours?!

Here is what Eavis said yesterday for the rest who didn't see it:

Glastonbury 2021: Emily Eavis says 'we're doing everything we can'

Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis says she hopes the festival can go ahead in 2021, despite the "huge uncertainty" surrounding live music in the pandemic.

"We're doing everything we can on our end to plan and prepare," she told the BBC, "but I think we're still quite a long way from being able to say we're confident 2021 will go ahead."

Eavis said Glastonbury lost "millions" in 2020. Her father, Michael, has previously warned the festival "would seriously go bankrupt" if they had to cancel again next year.

But that scenario is unlikely "as long as we can make a firm call either way in advance", Eavis clarified to the BBC.

The live music industry has been hit particularly hard by Covid-19, with more than 90% of the gigs planned for 2020 cancelled.

Despite the arrival of a vaccine and rapid-turnaround tests, there are still uncertainties about when concerts can resume.

Organisers are also facing difficulties in obtaining cancellation insurance, putting huge sums of money at stake if an event is called off.

Eavis and other festival organisers are calling on MPs to create a fund that would cover the cost of events cancelled due to Covid-19 next year, following the example of the German government.

In an exclusive BBC interview, Eavis added that some sets could be live-streamed from Worthy Farm "if we can't run the full show next year"; and that this year's headliners - Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar - would all be welcomed back in the future.

Oh, it was really hard. We obviously had so many plans for the 50th birthday, and it was set to be a full blown celebration. To be honest, we stayed optimistic about being able to run right until the 11th hour. I remember we had a meeting in February where we talked about there being a 10% chance of us being forced to cancel because of Covid. But that chance kept creeping up day by day, and by the middle of March, it had become clear there was simply no way we could plan, build and run the show. So we had to pull it. And within a week of us cancelling, the Covid crisis had moved up several levels and the whole summer's events had basically shut down.

Thousands of fans really want to be back at Worthy Farm next June. At this point, what would you say the odds are?

I can't tell you how much we'd love to welcome everyone back to the farm! It's been way too quiet here this year and we want to get people back here as soon as we possibly can. Obviously the vaccine news in recent weeks has increased our chances, but I think we're still quite a long way from being able to say we're confident 2021 will go ahead.

We're doing everything we can on our end to plan and prepare, but there are still just so many unknowns and factors which are completely out of our control. What we definitely can't afford to risk is getting too far into the process of next year, only for it to be snatched away from us again. We lost millions this year, and we can't risk that happening again.

That's sort of the issue, really: It's just too early to say. We're talking about a situation where the goalposts move weekly and sometimes daily. Clearly the vaccine is being rolled out, and that's great news, but there isn't yet any kind of clarity or consensus on what things will look like in May - when we'd usually have thousands of staff on site - or June, when we'd obviously have the festival.

We're doing everything we can to plan for next year. The hard part is understanding exactly what we'll be planning for, and what impact that will have on what we're able to do. But, right now, I'm not sure there's anything we could do that would completely ensure we can welcome 200,000 people to spend six days in some fields in June 2021.

Your dad said Glastonbury would go bankrupt if you had to cancel again in 2021. Is that still the case?

Well, it certainly wouldn't be good news if we got to the week of the Festival - having obviously spent a huge amount of time and money building the event - and then heard a few days before gates opening that we weren't allowed to go ahead. But, as long as we can make a firm call either way well in advance, then we'll be OK. The next few weeks are going to be crucial, really. They'll hopefully give us a much better idea of what is and isn't going to be possible.

The House of Commons culture select committee has launched an inquiry into the future of the festival industry. What support would you like to see being offered?

I think everyone - including government - wants there to be festivals next summer. But because of the huge uncertainty I just spoke about, and the fact that events take months to plan, there's a huge risk for organisers that they'll spend an awful lot of money and then see their events being cancelled for reasons completely outside of their control. And when those events go down, a huge number of jobs and livelihoods will disappear again too.

So, for that reason, I would certainly love for the UK government to offer some kind of support for events in the case that they are forced to cancel. Germany announced a €2.5bn (£2.3bn) event cancellation fund last week, and the whole UK festival industry would certainly welcome something similar from our government.

This summer, we should have seen Kendrick Lamar, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift headlining the Pyramid Stage - what are the chances that they'll come back for 2021?

Well, I certainly hope they'll be coming at some point! Again, it's much too soon for us to be able to confirm line-up for 2021, but we were so pleased with our line-up for 2020 and I really hope all three of those headliners will be here at the farm before too long.

Now that Taylor has started recording indie albums in a woodland cabin, will she have to be re-booked for the acoustic stage?

Good question! She'd be great there, wouldn't she? Her album has been a soundtrack to us on Worthy Farm this year, and rather than imagining what could have been, I've definitely been listening to it imagining what eventually will be! That moment is definitely coming.

And when she does finally come and deliver a Pyramid headline set, she's welcome to play as many sets in other venues as she fancies! I certainly get the impression she'll be staying for the whole weekend and getting stuck in.

What was the music that got you through the lockdown?

Oh, so many things. It feels like we've had music on constantly. Taylor, Laura Marling, Nick Cave, Phoebe Bridgers, Michael Kiwanuka, Dua Lipa, Sault and Bob Dylan have all been on heavy rotation.

Livestreams and virtual gigs really took off this year. Did you tune in? And were there any that particularly impressed you?

They've been great, haven't they? We've watched quite a few. I absolutely loved Dua Lipa's one. It was designed by the team behind Block9, one of our late-night areas, and it really captured that proper club feel. It had us dancing around in the living room, by the fire. It really set the bar for live streams, I think, and I heard 5 million people tuned in, which is huge.

There's a unique feeling that comes with sharing a music event online with millions of others, knowing everyone else is stuck at home too. It's a new sensation, the 2020 version of gigs, and I think we've needed those connections.

We're actually looking into the possibility of streaming some things from here if we can't run the full show next year. We really want to get busy with planning some gigs - even if they're to be streamed!

The BBC showed highlights from its Glastonbury archive over the summer… Did you wallow in the nostalgia like the rest of us?

Absolutely! It was certainly a bittersweet weekend for us, but the BBC created what I was just talking about, a shared weekend of musical reflection and connection. And I don't normally get to watch Glastonbury on the telly! It was really lovely.

And there's no doubt that watching crowds of people experiencing something together has a new level of emotion attached to it now. That's why I think live music is going to return bigger and brighter - and also more moving and joyous - than ever. I can't wait for the next time I'm at a big show.

Outside of music, what's the main thing that's helped you survive 2020?

I was thinking the other day, actually, it almost feels like we've been as busy this year as any year, trying to plan and manage the difficult situations we've found ourselves in. But at the same time, I am hugely aware that I'm really lucky to have experienced these crazy times in good health and with my family, surrounded by Somerset countryside. Those are things which have definitely made this whole thing much easier to survive than the experiences of so many other people. I really can't complain at all.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
They should cut their losses on 2021 now and make some tentative plans for 2022. If they’re going to bankrupt themselves investing in a 2021 event that’s unlikely to happen that doesn’t sound smart.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
They should cut their losses on 2021 now and make some tentative plans for 2022. If they’re going to bankrupt themselves investing in a 2021 event that’s unlikely to happen that doesn’t sound smart.

Fear not! The Eavis family/team is very smart!!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I can't imagine any mid-large sized festival happening this year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly cancelled according to the Guardian

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Mel B don't lie. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55746293

Can't see any festivals, big gigs happening this summer, plan for '22 I reckon. Olympics and Euros next to cancel? Heard a good suggestion for those- just push every host nation back 4 years- so Tokyo can do an Olympics in 2024, that daft Euros in multiple cities can also be held in 2024. The next host nations fall in to the next cycle etc. Will be interesting to see what they do, big £ at stake.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Mel B don't lie. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55746293

Can't see any festivals, big gigs happening this summer, plan for '22 I reckon. Olympics and Euros next to cancel? Heard a good suggestion for those- just push every host nation back 4 years- so Tokyo can do an Olympics in 2024, that daft Euros in multiple cities can also be held in 2024. The next host nations fall in to the next cycle etc. Will be interesting to see what they do, big £ at stake.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the late August stuff could go ahead. Reading and Leeds still have a chance, being a couple of months later.

Olympics ... surely not, it's reliant on vaccination all round the world. They should put it back another year

Euro 2020. .... will probably go ahead as planned in empty stadia. UK must be read hot favourite to be given most or all of the games at short notice

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
At least my ticket rolls over to 2022. They have made the right decision, even if smaller events are possible by the summer a gathering of over 200,000 was unlikely to be Covid-friendly. I am both sad and relieved at the decision in equal measure. Got tickets for Bloodstock in August and I am hoping circumstances allow that to go ahead.

That said, we now have the vaccine, at last we have sensible border controls, and we have a lockdown that I think most will be happy to see set us on our way to recovery. So let's get this thing beat and worry about gigs etc later.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the late August stuff could go ahead. Reading and Leeds still have a chance, being a couple of months later.

I can't see Reading and Leeds going ahead. There are just too many 'unknows' at the moment and all the while it is 50/50 no insurance company is going to underwrite that level of risk.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I can't see Reading and Leeds going ahead. There are just too many 'unknows' at the moment and all the while it is 50/50 no insurance company is going to underwrite that level of risk.

Out of all of the UK festivals Reading and Leeds has got to be the least hygienic as well. Great fun when I was a teen but Christ it was a cesspit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here