Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury 2014

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He's toured with them for a few years now - I remember seeing him when Ferry played Petworth Park (we broke in). Great player and a funny guy. He also appears in an episode of Spaced. THere's one for the pub quizzes.

Anyway, Pixies highlights are now on...I do love that band.

Does the great man still live at Fitleworth ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Does the great man still live at Fitleworth ?

Ferry? I believe he does (well, just outside it). I used to live in Fittleworth until 2 years ago.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Apparently Metallica's music has rocketed up the iTunes bestseller chart after last night's brilliant set.

Bad news for the music snobs (including on this thread) who said that a band like them shouldn't be at Glastonbury and that their kind of music wouldn't work, but proof that there really is room for all kinds of tastes there.

On the subject of which, I need to go and set the Sky+ for Dolly Parton's set this arvo.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Obvs actually being here I can't see everything but John Grant best thing, Royal Blood good thing, MIA good thing, Gringo Ska discovered thing. The fact it's not raining this morning fantastic thing.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
This. I gave it 2 mins. So much good music over so many genres over the last two days, but Metallica...really? ???

Of course, the other view is so much filler over two days and now something different. Plenty of people seemed to like it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Apparently Metallica's music has rocketed up the iTunes bestseller chart after last night's brilliant set.

Bad news for the music snobs (including on this thread) who said that a band like them shouldn't be at Glastonbury and that their kind of music wouldn't work, but proof that there really is room for all kinds of tastes there.

On the subject of which, I need to go and set the Sky+ for Dolly Parton's set this arvo.

Is there any genre NOT catered for at Glastonbury? It's been that way for as long as I can remember, but, strangely, criticism seems to be reserved for headliners only. However, heavy rock/metal has probably been worse-served than a lot of other genres - which suits me as I'm not a fan but I was in my early teens for a while and it has always been a genre that gets little airtime despite including some of the biggest bands in the world.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is there any genre NOT catered for at Glastonbury? It's been that way for as long as I can remember, but, strangely, criticism seems to be reserved for headliners only. However, heavy rock/metal has probably been worse-served than a lot of other genres - which suits me as I'm not a fan but I was in my early teens for a while and it has always been a genre that gets little airtime despite including some of the biggest bands in the world.

I'm pretty sure, given the range of artists showcased this year and in the past, that all tastes are catered for there and quite rightly so - long may it continue.

You're right though that for some reason heavy metal is a genre that a lot of people seem to sneer down their noses at - of course it's perfectly understandable to not be a fan of it, but it's the kind of "lots of good music (ie: music I like or which is deemed 'cool')....and then Metallica" comments which get rather on my nerves for their snobbery and narrow-mindedness.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm pretty sure, given the range of artists showcased this year and in the past, that all tastes are catered for there and quite rightly so - long may it continue.

You're right though that for some reason heavy metal is a genre that a lot of people seem to sneer down their noses at - of course it's perfectly understandable to not be a fan of it, but it's the kind of "lots of good music (ie: music I like or which is deemed 'cool')....and then Metallica" comments which get rather on my nerves for their snobbery and narrow-mindedness.

I may be wrong, but I think Glastonbury was set up as an alternative music festival originally, as there were many other festivals that covered mainly Heavy Metal. Hence Heavy Metal has not featured at Glastonbury much.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Listening to an interview with James Hetfield on 6 Music yesterday, he said that lots of people put down HM because they associate it with "under-educated" (I think that was the word he used) people, which I thought was an interesting comment - certainly plays to the Beavis and Butthead/Bill and Ted kind of caricature. Maybe that's a more American stereotype - I'm not sure people feel that in this country, it's just one of a number of genres that exist with one foot in the margins and another in the mainstream, feeding a large number of fans. I think it exists outside the realms of "cool" - when I was a fan, being "cool" was one of the things that was being rebelled against, and I'm sure it's the same now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I may be wrong, but I think Glastonbury was set up as an alternative music festival originally, as there were many other festivals that covered mainly Heavy Metal. Hence Heavy Metal has not featured at Glastonbury much.

It's full title is The Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts. This is all you really need to know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm catching up on the quite amazing Arcade Fire performance. I'm biased but I think this will go down in the books as a legendary set. A band in great shape, at the peak of their powers and above all look like they're having a ball. Go look yourself on the BBC website as they have the full set.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm catching up on the quite amazing Arcade Fire performance. I'm biased but I think this will go down in the books as a legendary set. A band in great shape, at the peak of their powers and above all look like they're having a ball. Go look yourself on the BBC website as they have the full set.

i haven't really followed there music much but i loved the performance

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I have a new found respect for Glastonbury.
Always avoided it as not my cup of tea.Back in the eighties I chose Reading and The Monsters of Rock as my festival choice .These days Download and Sonisphere. With all the ,should they shouldn't they play, leading up to the gig , I really was not sure how it would go. One person I work with , who talks about Glastonbury weeks before she goes , and weeks after (you know the type ) was defiantly in the 'outraged from Tunbridge Wells' category.
I watched it last night on the telly and knew the minute they hit the crowd with Creeping Death and For the Whom the Bells Toll, Glastonbury was there for the taking. Hetfield made a few nervous little mid song speeches , which had me with my hands over my face at times . Apart from that, they were as usual, awesome. As were the Glastonbury crowd!!!! It was clear from the audience sing a long at the end of The Memory Remains and Seek and Destroy that quite a lot of them had defiantly seen the band before.
I still cannot see myself ever going to Glastonbury, but for 90 minutes last night I did feel a kindred spirit with them.
Roll on Sonisphere next weekend ..... I for one cannot wait .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a new found respect for Glastonbury.
Always avoided it as not my cup of tea.Back in the eighties I chose Reading and The Monsters of Rock as my festival choice .These days Download and Sonisphere. With all the ,should they shouldn't they play, leading up to the gig , I really was not sure how it would go. One person I work with , who talks about Glastonbury weeks before she goes , and weeks after (you know the type ) was defiantly in the 'outraged from Tunbridge Wells' category.
I watched it last night on the telly and knew the minute they hit the crowd with Creeping Death and For the Whom the Bells Toll, Glastonbury was there for the taking. Hetfield made a few nervous little mid song speeches , which had me with my hands over my face at times . Apart from that, they were as usual, awesome. As were the Glastonbury crowd!!!! It was clear from the audience sing a long at the end of The Memory Remains and Seek and Destroy that quite a lot of them had defiantly seen the band before.
I still cannot see myself ever going to Glastonbury, but for 90 minutes last night I did feel a kindred spirit with them.
Roll on Sonisphere next weekend ..... I for one cannot wait .

Most Glastonbury long-termers will tell you the festival is more about the unexpected than the expected and not about any particular band. And Glasto goers are a very diverse bunch. It's a festival in the truest sense. The Glastonbury crowd welcomed Jay-Z and they also welcomed Metallica; they respect bands who move out of their comfort zone onto the Glasto stage. Jay-Z and Metallica also seemed to be knocked back by the positivity and support from the Pyramid Stage crowd.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Most Glastonbury long-termers will tell you the festival is more about the unexpected than the expected and not about any particular band. And Glasto goers are a very diverse bunch. It's a festival in the truest sense. The Glastonbury crowd welcomed Jay-Z and they also welcomed Metallica; they respect bands who move out of their comfort zone onto the Glasto stage. Jay-Z and Metallica also seemed to be knocked back by the positivity and support from the Pyramid Stage crowd.

I always respect your opinion as someone who clearly embraces all forms of music. I know from previous posts you and I have defiantly shared the same festival space .
The Pyramid stage crowd seemed to be willing Metallica on ,and I seemed to detect a cheeky grin from Hetfield as they went into the intro for Master of Puppets , that they had made it this far without incident ,they could now loosen up for the home straight.
I read this morning about the Fox hunting parody prior to Metallica's set...How did that go done ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
And how were they?

Splendid as always. A bit odd seeing them without Kim Deal, but they've still got it.

Did the washing up this morning with Elbow's set on in the background, that was magical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here