Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Glastonbury 2013 Fun in the Sun Thread ***

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
They're on my list! Your avatar reminds me of a wonderful story on Radio 6 this week which Frau Tubthumper heard. Some graphic novelist is writing/drawing a book with Nick Cave, John Peel and Mark E Smith in it(yes, my mind boggles as well). He needed clearance to use their images, Cave and Peel's estate were fine....then he gets a phone call from "Haircut John" who says he and Mark E Smith want his address and are coming round. These two turn up, Smith with a can of beer, artist explains the book, the other two suggest they go to the pub, they get drunk, go back to the house by which time the artist's partner turns up with their kid. The day is rounded off with Mark E Smith singing Wizard of Oz songs to the little 'un. The author got the clearance he wanted.

Stories like this make my world go round.

A truly great story. I can not imagine how I would react if I knew Mark E Smith was coming round to my place.
A friend of mine who works for BT had a job several years ago to a property in Hove under the name of Cave. He went along guessing it may well be 'The Cave' and ended up playing on one of his many guitars whilst Nick provided some vocals. He claims it was his best ever day at work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A truly great story. I can not imagine how I would react if I knew Mark E Smith was coming round to my place.
A friend of mine who works for BT had a job several years ago to a property in Hove under the name of Cave. He went along guessing it may well be 'The Cave' and ended up playing on one of his many guitars whilst Nick provided some vocals. He claims it was his best ever day at work.

Bloody hell. I love stories like this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Listening to Mount Kimbie at the mo. Interesting and enjoyable.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They're on my list! Your avatar reminds me of a wonderful story on Radio 6 this week which Frau Tubthumper heard. Some graphic novelist is writing/drawing a book with Nick Cave, John Peel and Mark E Smith in it(yes, my mind boggles as well). He needed clearance to use their images, Cave and Peel's estate were fine....then he gets a phone call from "Haircut John" who says he and Mark E Smith want his address and are coming round. These two turn up, Smith with a can of beer, artist explains the book, the other two suggest they go to the pub, they get drunk, go back to the house by which time the artist's partner turns up with their kid. The day is rounded off with Mark E Smith singing Wizard of Oz songs to the little 'un. The author got the clearance he wanted.

Stories like this make my world go round.

I've got a friend called Jennie who used to have a flatmate who worked for the Fall's record label or promoters or something. She had been given the task of 'looking after' Mr Smith on a visit to London. Wanting to keep him out of the pub, she brought him back to her flat, but then had to pop out on some errand or other. So Jennie comes home from work, opens her front door and discovers Mark E Smith sitting her on sofa.... Not necessarily a pleasant surprise! I think she made him a cup of tea.

Looking forward to Glastonbury - it'll be my 15th. Here's the link to the invaluable clashfinder (though times probably not that accurate yet): http://clashfinder.com/s/g2013/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got a friend called Jennie who used to have a flatmate who worked for the Fall's record label or promoters or something. She had been given the task of 'looking after' Mr Smith on a visit to London. Wanting to keep him out of the pub, she brought him back to her flat, but then had to pop out on some errand or other. So Jennie comes home from work, opens her front door and discovers Mark E Smith sitting her on sofa.... Not necessarily a pleasant surprise! I think she made him a cup of tea.

Looking forward to Glastonbury - it'll be my 15th. Here's the link to the invaluable clashfinder (though times probably not that accurate yet): http://clashfinder.com/s/g2013/

Ha ha.

PS it's my 9th. The wife is on 14.

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
EE have the Glastonbury app on the android Play store, No timings yet but expected soon in an update.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
yep - will be there from Tuesday mid-afternoon .... Riflemans in Glasto Town first, followed by a night-jar in the Apple Tree before heading off for a queue party.

I'll be in Pennards with a whole bunch of reprobates!

For those unaware Norman is doing a DJ set on Saturday afternoon under the thinly disguised "Beats International" pseudonym (at the Beat Hotel Stage)

My personal hitlist : Elvis Costello, The Lumineers, Portishead, Primal Scream, KT Tunstall, I am Kloot, Of Monsters & Men and The Vaccines

Other relatively unknowns to check out .... The 2 Bears, Acollective, Metals, Jalapeno Sound System, Dogblood, Disclosure, The Filthy Six, The Mad Cows, Magnus Puto, Rudimental, Smith & Mighty

and still small but a bit better known ... Alice Russell, Martin Stephenson, Toro Y Moi, Maverick Sabre, Lianne La Havas

and of course the legendary Sergio Mendes, TomTom Club, Steve Winwood and Sir Bruce Forsyth!

plus Attila -- FOUR TIMES !!!!

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wow. I typically take the Glasto opportunity to see stuff I'd ordinarily not go and see and this particular comment interested me. I looked them up on the Spotify machine and I unbeknown to me I know virtually all the tracks on this album. I am not a reggae fan so I must I have heard them passively over the years. Good call, I will most certainly see these fellas, and expand my reggae beyond some Clash tracks.

They look great live, I'm seeing them at the Concorde the week before Glasto so I'll feed back (no spoilers...)

Some of the production on that Heart of The Congos is unbelievable when you consider the lengths they had to go to. It's just the flick of a switch now. Try Marcus Garvey & Man in The Hills by Burning Spear as well. Two further 10/10 albums & very significant historically.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Listening to Mount Kimbie at the mo. Interesting and enjoyable.

I got the album as one of those risk/experimental purchases and really pleased I did. Think they will be worth watching live. They were at Great Escape 2010 and you can watch a thirty minute broadcast on you tube. I tried to paste a link but it does not seem to work. Maybe copyright.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Another great story. Very envious of you all for being able to get along. Dreaded work has prevented me going for the past three times. The last time I went BSP played the leftfield stage the same time as The White Stripes were on the pyramid. I chose BSP- my mates thought I had lost it. It was the year of the terrible rain and flooding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yep - will be there from Tuesday mid-afternoon .... Riflemans in Glasto Town first, followed by a night-jar in the Apple Tree before heading off for a queue party.

I'll be in Pennards with a whole bunch of reprobates!

For those unaware Norman is doing a DJ set on Saturday afternoon under the thinly disguised "Beats International" pseudonym (at the Beat Hotel Stage)

My personal hitlist : Elvis Costello, The Lumineers, Portishead, Primal Scream, KT Tunstall, I am Kloot, Of Monsters & Men and The Vaccines

Other relatively unknowns to check out .... The 2 Bears, Acollective, Metals, Jalapeno Sound System, Dogblood, Disclosure, The Filthy Six, The Mad Cows, Magnus Puto, Rudimental, Smith & Mighty

and still small but a bit better known ... Alice Russell, Martin Stephenson, Toro Y Moi, Maverick Sabre, Lianne La Havas

and of course the legendary Sergio Mendes, TomTom Club, Steve Winwood and Sir Bruce Forsyth!

plus Attila -- FOUR TIMES !!!!

2 Bears are good fun if you like house/disco and shuffling your feet to good music. I saw them 2 years ago when they DJed in a small sunny corner of Glasto one afternoon. I also saw them at Coalition last November.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was the year of the terrible rain and flooding.

Which one? There have been a few like that! I think that was 2005 though - I remember Leftfield being empty for BSP because it wasn't listed in the programme. Didn't they play another stage that year too?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Which one? There have been a few like that! I think that was 2005 though - I remember Leftfield being empty for BSP because it wasn't listed in the programme. Didn't they play another stage that year too?

2005 it was. They did play again in a tent which I think was Guardian sponsored. Got my photo taken outside with Hamilton.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Jealous of you all. Just had a quick look at the line-up and a lot of names on there i'd love to be seeing this weekend.

I was at Isle of Wight festival last weekend, and it was brilliant, would recommend a number of those who are also performing at Glastonbury. Makes me even more excited for Bestival now at the end of summer!

Enjoy!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Equally envious. Despite not going I have downloaded the Glastonbury app as it will be steaming some acts from six of the stages. Worth a look and its free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here