Glastonbury 09 & Bruce.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Bruce did not release a DVD of his 2009 Glastonbury performance but he did one at Hard Rock Calling 2009 days later. 'London Calling Live in Hyde Park'-This includes a bonus track of The River recorded at Glastonbury 2009-That's as close as I can get!

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
That's your point of view of a legendary live performer-obviously The Wombles at Glastonbury are more your cup of tea!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Got that DVD and its superb. I have a copy of the Bruce set from Glastonbury as shown on the BBC. Have it on a Disc somewhere. Do you want a copy and if you do I will see what I can do!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
That's your point of view of a legendary live performer-obviously The Wombles at Glastonbury are more your cup of tea!

Yes that is my view: he was very disappointing and bored on for far too long. Playing for 2 hours and 45 mins is no measure of greatness if no -one knows what you're playing. Unlike Neil Young, who played the night before with a brilliant set ending with a stunning cover of the Beatles "A day in the Life," Springsteen completely failed to understand the Glastonbury audience. He should have played a shorter set, full of his best known songs. That's what you have to do at a festival like Glastonbury. Instead, he chose to play a set which only real Spingsteen aficionado's would like. It was very self indulgent.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Bruce was fantastic at glastonbury. As I recall all the music press thought he was great too.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yes that is my view: he was very disappointing and bored on for far too long. Playing for 2 hours and 45 mins is no measure of greatness if no -one knows what you're playing. Unlike Neil Young, who played the night before with a brilliant set ending with a stunning cover of the Beatles "A day in the Life," Springsteen completely failed to understand the Glastonbury audience. He should have played a shorter set, full of his best known songs. That's what you have to do at a festival like Glastonbury. Instead, he chose to play a set which only real Spingsteen aficionado's would like. It was very self indulgent.

The set included Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Badlands, Glory Days, The River. He even played Because the Night, which is one of his most famous songs as recorded by someone else. I had a friend who went who felt similar to you, but it basically seemed to boil down to the fact that he didn't play "Born in the USA", which is very silly as a) that's one song out of loads of Springsteen classics, b) he doesn't really play it anymore because of how iconographic it has become and c) it's far from his best anyway!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think it depends how you looked at Bruce's set. I saw it as a career retrospective, covered pretty much every period and album plus some extras and most of his big tracks. I think it more than satisfied the range of fans from die hards, to anyone with a mild interest in him.

Sep 20, 2005
The set included Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Badlands, Glory Days, The River. He even played Because the Night, which is one of his most famous songs as recorded by someone else. I had a friend who went who felt similar to you, but it basically seemed to boil down to the fact that he didn't play "Born in the USA", which is very silly as a) that's one song out of loads of Springsteen classics, b) he doesn't really play it anymore because of how iconographic it has become and c) it's far from his best anyway!

Yes, he did play all those songs, but they were spread out over the whole set. The problem was less that he didn't play his hits, more that he played far too many songs that were completely unknown to a festival crowd of non-Bruce-ophiles. I'm sure the hard-core fans loved it, but they were a tiny, tiny minority.

Coming out and starting with Coma Girl was a big mistake....no-one had a clue what it was or the significance of it. I have the original of that song, by Joe Strummer, on my iPod and I didn't even realise what it was until I got home. In London the next day he started with London Calling. Now, if he'd done that at Glastonbury, he'd have had the crowd eating out of his hand, but Coma Girl? No.

The other poster is right.....on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, you HAVE to come out and play hit after hit after hit. Nothing else will do. Last weekend, Paul Simon made the same mistake and was easily everyone's biggest disappointment of the festival.

Jan 13, 2010
Bedfordshire
I have to say that while Bruce is god and has meant far more to me than any other musician over the past 25 years, and I hate to think how many times I've seen him - I must admit I agree with the anti-Bruce brigade on this thread.

For years I've told people that he was the ultimate performer but at Glasto he played a standard Bruce set taking no account of his audience

He can do it, apparently his New York acoustic only benefit concert in the early 80's was a classic (the video for Fire is from it) and I remember him in 88 at the Wembley Amnesty International benefit show when he went "1-2-3-4"at the start and then just blasted out every hit his ever done at breakneck speed for an hour. It was one of his best shows until he invited that tosser Sting back on stage for the encore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports