Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glasgow Rangers Nonsense

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just love the way Rangers were made to start again on the bottom rung and work their way up through the leagues. Guaranteed every single club in every league a windfall they'd only otherwise have dreamt of via a cup game

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just amazes me how long Neil Lennon managed to hold on to the Celtic manager's job. He must have had a lot of influential support in the board room. Even then he wasn't sacked, but decided to walk.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bound to be a big story, given that this is the first league title that Glasgow Rangers (2012) have every won. The climb from the depths of the lower Scottish leagues to the Premiership title in under a decade is just a fairy story. I wouldn't be surprised if a film was made about these heroes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rangers achievement was clearly the biggest football story in the UK yesterday.

Rangers and Celtic are British football giants with a global fanbase. Yes, the league standard is not the best but Celtic have dominated for 9 years and to be denied a record tenth title in a row by such a decisive margin from a Rangers side that were playing in the bottom tier 9 years ago is quite something. Added to that, the fact Gerrard has been so successfully at a time when Liverpool's Klopp has lost his mojo adds a bit of spice to events.

Rangers actually have several players that would be decent in the Prem - I'd take Goldson, Barisic, Kent in particular.

All this contrasts with how far Celtic have fallen - only Odsonne Edouard is top drawer.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The headline 'Glasgow Rangers Nonsense' was correct but the subject matter was wrong. The nonsense was the many thousands ignoring covid law and not staying at home for all but essential purposes but going to celebrate together in the midst of a global pandemic, absolutely appalling behaviour. I hope the Scottish government sanction them in any way thy can and the SFA come down hard with a fine and a hefty points deduction. Nikki Sturgeon was right when she called the scenes abhorrent and disgraceful.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bound to be a big story, given that this is the first league title that Glasgow Rangers (2012) have every won. The climb from the depths of the lower Scottish leagues to the Premiership title in under a decade is just a fairy story. I wouldn't be surprised if a film was made about these heroes.

Cant say I'm massively impressed with their climb through the league system considering their resources, but winning the title this early is indeed impressive and also quite useless from Celtic to throw away a ten year advantage.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Rather than this demonstrating what a great job Gerrard has done I reckon it just shows how easy it is succeed in Scottish football if you can assemble a few half decent players and give them a simple plan to work to. Rangers only won it this season because Celtic have had it far too easy for 9 years and just a modicum of proper competition was all it took.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
More interested in the Albion ladies beating Spurs than the MTL.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The headline 'Glasgow Rangers Nonsense' was correct but the subject matter was wrong. The nonsense was the many thousands ignoring covid law and not staying at home for all but essential purposes but going to celebrate together in the midst of a global pandemic, absolutely appalling behaviour. I hope the Scottish government sanction them in any way thy can and the SFA come down hard with a fine and a hefty points deduction. Nikki Sturgeon was right when she called the scenes abhorrent and disgraceful.

This some sort of wind up?

Nikki Sturgeon? FFS! She has forgotten it already! Dead woman walking........

how can you sanction the club for supporters coming to the ground....grow up....

TNBA

TTF

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This some sort of wind up?

Nikki Sturgeon? FFS! She has forgotten it already! Dead woman walking........

how can you sanction the club for supporters coming to the ground....grow up....

TNBA

TTF

To many clubs the supporters of the club are the club itself, without the supporters the club wouldn't exist, and this wasn't just a tiny minority it was many thousands in the midst of a global pandemic where the law states to stay at home unless you absolutely have to leave the house for a very small number of reasons which does not include celebrating winning a football match or league title. What those people did was shameful and people could die as a result of their actions. The government and football associations should come down hard and I don't see much else they can do other than a significant fine and hefty points deduction. The lack of remorse or apology from official club channels or attempts to dissaude people from breaking the law was also particularly telling.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Rangers achievement was clearly the biggest football story in the UK yesterday.

Rangers and Celtic are British football giants with a global fanbase. Yes, the league standard is not the best but Celtic have dominated for 9 years and to be denied a record tenth title in a row by such a decisive margin from a Rangers side that were playing in the bottom tier 9 years ago is quite something. Added to that, the fact Gerrard has been so successfully at a time when Liverpool's Klopp has lost his mojo adds a bit of spice to events.

Rangers actually have several players that would be decent in the Prem - I'd take Goldson, Barisic, Kent in particular.

All this contrasts with how far Celtic have fallen - only Odsonne Edouard is top drawer.

Barndoor Eduard. Another French maestro.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
To many clubs the supporters of the club are the club itself, without the supporters the club wouldn't exist, and this wasn't just a tiny minority it was many thousands in the midst of a global pandemic where the law states to stay at home unless you absolutely have to leave the house for a very small number of reasons which does not include celebrating winning a football match or league title. What those people did was shameful and people could die as a result of their actions. The government and football associations should come down hard and I don't see much else they can do other than a significant fine and hefty points deduction. The lack of remorse or apology from official club channels or attempts to dissaude people from breaking the law was also particularly telling.

I must say you're in sparkling form and reeling in quite a few on your various threads.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It's interesting seeing the freefall from Brendan Rodgers leaving. Who could have predicted it (except pretty much everyone in football)
It isn't so much that Gerrard has done a great job, it's more that Celtic have been woeful since Rodgers left.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The supporter issue is no different to what happened at Liverpool last season.
As my allegiance is towards Brighton and the other Glasgow club its a bitter pill to swallow, but credit to Gerrard in overturning a big financial gap, and over all probably good for Scottish football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here