[Misc] Giving up your seat for the elderly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I probably offer my seat on the tram/bus to an eldery bod once a month or so but I cannot remember the last time someone accepted my gesture. Have old people become more resilient? Are they more proud? Stonger pins? What gives?

(just to clarify, it's on a as-needs basis; I do not ration my offer to once a month)

If you offer to give up your seat with just half the snotty attitude you have on this forum, I, m not at all sorprised they reject your " soo. oo very kind offer"..

Do the y look at your condescending attitude to children and the elderly with that look that says... "" I really would prefer to punch you in the face"..?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you offer to give up your seat with just half the snotty attitude you have on this forum, I, m not at all sorprised they reject your " soo. oo very kind offer"..

Do the y look at your condescending attitude to children and the elderly with that look that says... "" I really would prefer to punch you in the face"..?

Quite a few typos and rouge punctuation in this post; you okay?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I always offer my seat to the oldies, pregnant or infirmed and the odd poor soul who’s had a few too many bevvies, sit down before you fall down sort of thing.

But a child? No dear.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
lol at the classic British children should be seen and not heard attitudes here. As mentioned by someone, it's normal in parts of Asia, definitely in Japan, and why shouldn't it be? A 5 year old doesn't have the motor skills/balance of an adult, not to mention the height or length of arm to hold on to a strap. Buses especially are hard work to stay upright on. It's basic good manners to offer your seat to one, not just so they don't go flying but to help out the parent.

That said, people here are masters of 'not noticing' when someone is in need of a seat.

Once saw a guy get on a train. Must have been in his 40s, but had a head of grey hair. This very polite young teenager sprang up and offered his seat to him. In the space of a few seconds you could see the horror play out on the man's face that he was deemed in need of a seat by the youth of today, and then resignation as he accepted the offer. I guess it comes to us all one day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
lol at the classic British children should be seen and not heard attitudes here. As mentioned by someone, it's normal in parts of Asia, definitely in Japan, and why shouldn't it be? A 5 year old doesn't have the motor skills/balance of an adult, not to mention the height or length of arm to hold on to a strap. Buses especially are hard work to stay upright on. It's basic good manners to offer your seat to one, not just so they don't go flying but to help out the parent.

That said, people here are masters of 'not noticing' when someone is in need of a seat.

Once saw a guy get on a train. Must have been in his 40s, but had a head of grey hair. This very polite young teenager sprang up and offered his seat to him. In the space of a few seconds you could see the horror play out on the man's face that he was deemed in need of a seat by the youth of today, and then resignation as he accepted the offer. I guess it comes to us all one day.

I hadn’t really thought about the child thing in those terms. Makes sense . I have to say I’ve never been on a bus when a kid has needed a seat, there are never any kids on my commute to work.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I hadn’t really thought about the child thing in those terms. Makes sense . I have to say I’ve never been on a bus when a kid has needed a seat, there are never any kids on my commute to work.

I took my son on a double decker bus just recently when we were back in Brighton. He'd never been on one and was very excited, I haven't been on one for, I dunno, two decades. Had completely forgotten how they really throw you about. He almost went flying when I cleverly thought to get up before we had stopped. Japanese buses are a nightmare, look like they were designed in the 50s.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Well said re the children. Unfortunately posters like Herr Tubthumper have no ability to understand the elderly, the young.... or for that matter anyone else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well said re the children. Unfortunately posters like Herr Tubthumper have no ability to understand the elderly, the young.... or for that matter anyone else.

You’ve made your point. So why don’t you now stop your derailing and stop stalking me across different threads with your rather weird comments about “my children” (whatever the **** that means).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s how it was when I was a kid. Stand or sit on lap. More evidence of entitled snowflakery!

I have just been looking this up on the internet. This seems to be more a current opinion piece driven by the Mumsnet than anything scientific like lack of motor skills in a 5 year old. I'm also pretty certain I was riding my bike around the age of 5 or 6 so if I could do that i'm sure I could stand on a bus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have just been looking this up on the internet. This seems to be more a current opinion piece driven by the Mumsnet than anything scientific like lack of motor skills in a 5 year old. I'm also pretty certain I was riding my bike around the age of 5 or 6 so if I could do that i'm sure I could stand on a bus.

i was being chased across the downs by the school leopard when i was 6.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i was being chased across the downs by the school leopard when i was 6.

Exactly. Didn’t do you any harm did it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Bus? Luxury! We had to hang onto back of dustcart when went t’local town.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

What a load of nonsense, kids are perfectly able to. Sometimes the objections today and cotton wool approach by many parents is comical. It’s a wonder how many of us survived our childhoods by comparison. Except for my mate Dave. And John. Plus Mike. And Peter. And Jo. And Gary. All died aboard public transport because they had to sit on their mothers knees. Tragic really…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a load of nonsense, kids are perfectly able to. Sometimes the objections today and cotton wool approach by many parents is comical. It’s a wonder how many of us survived our childhoods by comparison. Except for my mate Dave. And John. Plus Mike. And Peter. And Jo. And Gary. All died aboard public transport because they had to sit on their mothers knees. Tragic really…

Exactly.

And I rememnber from my childhood, that schoolboy motocross age groups start at the age of 6. I didnt get an offroad bike until a lot later but a friend had one at junior school.

"If you are 6 years old or over and ride a motocross bike from a 50cc all the way up to a 500cc then there is a class for you, no matter whether you are male or female. Schoolboy racing sees riders grouped together depending on their age, i.e.:

6-8 years for 50cc Autos"

Unable to stand on a bus at 5 (according to some). Able to enter a motocross competition at 6.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I probably offer my seat on the tram/bus to an eldery bod once a month or so but I cannot remember the last time someone accepted my gesture. Have old people become more resilient? Are they more proud? Stonger pins? What gives?

(just to clarify, it's on a as-needs basis; I do not ration my offer to once a month)

I think it’s simple survival instinct, as a pedestrian in Germany you are better keeping on your toes than putting your trotters up.

Elderly Germans would know MO this from their youth…….different ideological invader might but same consequence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports