Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Giving up the Booze (Joe Wilkinson)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bit of a long drive tomorrow so am going to download that and listen. Thanks. Ive often wondered about him as he really just fits *8OO10CDC".
Not wanting to derail the thread but his "poem" on that show is one of the funniest things ever! I assume that hes a BHAFC fan then?
I just named your penis is one of the funniest things I’ve seen ever! Nice listen @Wilko 👍

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I did a dry Jan a couple of years ago after reading so many eulogies about how brilliant it was……sleeping better, clearer skin, losing weight etc etc. Made absolutely zero difference to me, apart from being annoyed I couldn’t have a nice glass of red when I wanted one. Not doing it again.
I’m not sure why dry January is so popular, it’s the worst month of the year, to give up drinking, I’m sure if I started again it would be in January.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit I don't really drink. I don't like the taste of beer or wine. Don't mind the odd short occasionally but generally I'm happy with a pint of Fosters shandy to cuddle for the evening on a social occasion (has the advantage of looking like beer) or a diet coke (lemon, no ice). Cheap and cheerful, no need to get involved in buying expensive rounds.

gasbag

Dec 2, 2016
I would urge anyone who thinks they drink to much to seek help..

Yesterday lunchtime a neighbour of mine was banging on my door in a panicked state...... she had left her hubby 2 weeks ago because he was drinking up to 3 bottles of Vodka a day......

Anyway she could not get her front door open ( she had come back to talk to the estranged hubby) I went with her to the house and long story short he was dead behind the door....
He was getting £60 of booze delivered per day by deliveroo !!! how can that actually be allowed?

He was 53 years old and had fallen in an alcoholic state and injured his head its thought he had laid there for 2 days..

He was always falling and hitting his head his wife could not handle it anymore as he would just not stop so she left.

So please if you drink to much get help...
Seconded. My brother had a similar story to your neighbour and died alone aged 50 last year having fallen and hit his head. He was always having accidents, getting hit by cars etc, but lived in a messy / chaotic state and simply tripped over a vacuum cleaner in his flat.

We as a family tried everything to get him to stop, but in the end it has to come from the person suffering the addiction. Sadly, alcohol was the most important thing for him.

So yes I agree that anyone with any doubts about their levels of drinking should get help ... for the sake of not just themselves but their friends and family too.

RIP Ian

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Adrian Chiles was covering this subject again on this 5Live show yesterday if anyone wants to go back and listen on BBC Sounds.

I know we've discussed his documentary before and that realisation of just how much someone can be drinking who doesn't see themselves as having a drink problem.

I'm currently 34 days without a drink so Dry January + 3 days, although I don't think of it as Dry January - I just see it as having a break and a reset from alcohol after the excesses of the festive period. I know we have people on here who have given up but say something like "I tell myself I can have a drink today if I want to, but I choose not to". I think most of those people have given up for good, which suits them.

I've not given up for good. I enjoy drinking too much for that. But I also enjoy having a break from it. I've gone over 200 days into a year before having my first drink. I don't know how long I'll last this time, which makes it sound like an ordeal - it isn't - but at some point I'll just decide I *REALLY* fancy a cold cider or a glass of red and I will, with no guilt at all.

I'll echo some other comments on this thread though - I feel absolutely no different when not drinking. I don't sleep any better or worse, I don't feel any healthier (but I run every day, do multiple dog walks a day and average c25k steps a day whether I'm drinking or not). But I do appreciate it is better for my body to not have to deal with alcohol.

As with most things in life, with alcohol, we all have to do what is right for our own situation, and that differs from person to person.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit of a long drive tomorrow so am going to download that and listen. Thanks. Ive often wondered about him as he really just fits *8OO10CDC".
Not wanting to derail the thread but his "poem" on that show is one of the funniest things ever! I assume that hes a BHAFC fan then?
Gillingham, but obviously has a soft spot for the Albion? Or else he just loves watching football!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here