Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Giving up the Booze (Joe Wilkinson)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, I think I was kind of saying the same thing ie it’s really no big deal and yet some people seem to see it as life changing.
I'm not sure – because people abstain for all sorts of reasons – but sometimes people who don't drink alcohol, might bring it up the 'elephant in the room' (as it is) before anyone else does to get it out in the open? I agree that it should be no big deal, but society makes alcohol and drinking the norm that people have can have a knee-jerk reaction to mixing with those who don't. It's REALLY weird when you stop to think about the whole culture (which I have – a lot!).

Also, to be honest, it CAN be life-changing. A good mate of mine is an alcoholic, but gave up drinking some time ago and it has saved his life, marriage, relationship with his kids, etc, etc. He doesn't bang on about it, but he's open if/when we talk about it.

As for JW – another stalker here who chatted with him in the P&R queue after (I think) Villa this season. Top bloke.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's amazing how different he is to the character he plays on TV.
His on screen persona is just silly, not nasty or anything. I've met Joe a few times and he's always been lovely, which is how I imagined he'd be.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I enjoyed the interview and listening to what he had to say, especially about getting anxiety the next day after drinking, and also he is much happier.
In a few days I have done 2 years without alcohol, I would hammer the alcohol some weekends but not drink in the week. I originally just planned to have a break but found I am much happier and think the day after a drinking session my mental health suffered.
I also really struggled with hangovers and would write a whole day off after a day on the piss.
Most people I know respect me for giving up (I’m not sure I will start again now) one or two go on about they can’t believe I stopped, I find that a bit boring now.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I gave up drinking 27 years ago and want a bloody medal! I am always asked why I don't drink and depending on who they are I either give them the long boring truth or tell them I converted to Islam. I've decided to ask people why they drink. It is so fecking boring hearing people's drinking stories and their need to find somewhere to get a drink. If it was heroin they'd realise how little others need to know.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I sometimes wonder why people make such a fuss of giving up alcohol. Just my own view and not meant as a criticism.
That all depends on one’s relationship with alcohol.

I barely drink anymore. If I feel like a beer or wine, I’ll have one but that’s rare these days. No particular reason, just gone off it at the moment.

I realise for some it’s not anywhere near that easy.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
On the contrary, I wonder why people make such a fuss about people who don't drink alcohol.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since December 2020, but at almost every social/work function I go it, it seems to be a talking point with the classic 'So, WHY don't you drink?' I was on a trip the other week and the CEO of a car manufacturer who was on my table at dinner couldn't comprehend the notion of someone not taking alcohol with a meal. It was a bit bonkers!

It's never something I bring up, personally :shrug:
Ahh so you take your alcohol intravenously :lolol:

Jimmy Grimble

Seen him a couple of times at the Amex as well
I knew we got some ‘big 6’ Amex tourists every now and then, didn’t think we’d get a Gillingham tourist!

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Hi chaps,

I was lucky enough to interview Joe Wilkinson about going alcohol free. I know that a few on here chatted about doing dry January (or beyond) and so just doing a bit of plugging to generate a bit more interest. You can either watch via youtube or download the podcast. :)

I wondered why I haven't seen him in The Chimney House for a long time... shame, another one bites the dust

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That all depends on one’s relationship with alcohol.

I barely drink anymore. If I feel like a beer or wine, I’ll have one but that’s rare these days. No particular reason, just gone off it at the moment.

I realise for some it’s not anywhere near that easy.
I would urge anyone who thinks they drink to much to seek help..

Yesterday lunchtime a neighbour of mine was banging on my door in a panicked state...... she had left her hubby 2 weeks ago because he was drinking up to 3 bottles of Vodka a day......

Anyway she could not get her front door open ( she had come back to talk to the estranged hubby) I went with her to the house and long story short he was dead behind the door....
He was getting £60 of booze delivered per day by deliveroo !!! how can that actually be allowed?

He was 53 years old and had fallen in an alcoholic state and injured his head its thought he had laid there for 2 days..

He was always falling and hitting his head his wife could not handle it anymore as he would just not stop so she left.

So please if you drink to much get help...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi chaps,

I was lucky enough to interview Joe Wilkinson about going alcohol free. I know that a few on here chatted about doing dry January (or beyond) and so just doing a bit of plugging to generate a bit more interest. You can either watch via youtube or download the podcast. :)

Finally got around to listening to this, thanks for posting @Wilko and I hope you made it through Dry January. Really good chat and he seems to have a lot of the same views that I've now got about alcohol. It really is a fascinating culture around it.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Yesterday lunchtime a neighbour of mine was banging on my door in a panicked state...... she had left her hubby 2 weeks ago because he was drinking up to 3 bottles of Vodka a day......

Anyway she could not get her front door open ( she had come back to talk to the estranged hubby) I went with her to the house and long story short he was dead behind the door....
He was getting £60 of booze delivered per day by deliveroo !!! how can that actually be allowed?

He was 53 years old and had fallen in an alcoholic state and injured his head its thought he had laid there for 2 days..

He was always falling and hitting his head his wife could not handle it anymore as he would just not stop so she left.

That's a terribly sad state of affairs.

I've been shifting my habits from drinking 30-40 units per week (it's amazing how they tot* up, even when very very rarely drinking to excess), down to 10-15 units per week through Jan and am now aiming for as close to zero as possible in Feb (though I won't beat myself up if I have a weekend beer - my absolute aim is to always be legal to drive).
Having a couple of cans of beer, or a glass of wine definitely became a habit to unwind from a stressful day of work. There was the false economy of dropping off to sleep more easily, but suffering from more disturbed, less deep sleep as a result. My sleep has definitely improved in the last 5 weeks - now I just need an annoying toddler to sleep better, so I can achieve anything like good sleep.

I wish everyone well in their quest for a healthier relationship with alcohol, whatever that looks like for them.

*pun intended

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
On the contrary, I wonder why people make such a fuss about people who don't drink alcohol.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since December 2020, but at almost every social/work function I go it, it seems to be a talking point with the classic 'So, WHY don't you drink?' I was on a trip the other week and the CEO of a car manufacturer who was on my table at dinner couldn't comprehend the notion of someone not taking alcohol with a meal. It was a bit bonkers!

It's never something I bring up, personally :shrug:
Absolutely bizarre that someone would ask why people don't drink or have kids.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've always been a big drinker but have just done dry January. I was expecting, as many say, to feel wonderful, sleep really well etc etc but the reality is that I don't and it's all been a bit of a disappointment.
That said, I'm staring down the barrell of a mortgage nightmare so I'm going to have to stay off it anyhow.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Bit of a long drive tomorrow so am going to download that and listen. Thanks. Ive often wondered about him as he really just fits *8OO10CDC".
Not wanting to derail the thread but his "poem" on that show is one of the funniest things ever! I assume that hes a BHAFC fan then?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always been a big drinker but have just done dry January. I was expecting, as many say, to feel wonderful, sleep really well etc etc but the reality is that I don't and it's all been a bit of a disappointment.
That said, I'm staring down the barrell of a mortgage nightmare so I'm going to have to stay off it anyhow.
I did a dry Jan a couple of years ago after reading so many eulogies about how brilliant it was……sleeping better, clearer skin, losing weight etc etc. Made absolutely zero difference to me, apart from being annoyed I couldn’t have a nice glass of red when I wanted one. Not doing it again.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely bizarre that someone would ask why people don't drink or have kids.
All too common and I too find it amazing, especially in this day and age. Not exactly unusual. 30-40 years ago maybe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Many respects, the kinder course of events. Prolonged misery and slow deterioration caused by alcoholism is a horrendous ordeal for family members too, probably more so than the addict. It’s despairing, especially when other illnesses take grip and unable to do best by them because no POA, human right to drink selves into oblivion etc. At least when dementia comes, if the kidneys and liver don’t go before, they literally forget their alcohol dependency and stop. Not that there’s much left to save by then. All very sad. Alcohol eh? Can’t live with or without it. The human condition in a nutshell.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would say it takes longer than a month to start feeling better and sleeping well etc.
I wouldn’t say I feel wonderful every day either, I still have days when I wake up feeling shite and this is without drinking, when I had been on an all dayer the next day I woke up feeling shite X 50
I still have broken sleep but i would stay up much later when I had been drinking and would never sleep properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here