Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving up on the Albion (part 1)

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Why would any true fan Even ask that question You don't give up on your team Your team is you The people change You probably wont like most But you don't give up on your team Have a lovers tiff But never give up

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've seen it all in fifty odd years of supporting my team, constant lower league football, a handful of minutes from going out of the league, a couple of seasons playing on the moon, a great many years sitting on scaffold at an athletics track, euphoria and despair, I've had the lot. Becoming a snowflake because we're not competing with a traditional english top six? Nope, not yet. I will be buried or cremated in a blue and white box but until that time......you can **** right off with this vitriol towards my team

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
In vaguely unrelated news, one of the best post-Fever Pitch football fan books I read was called something like ‘Turning to Wednesday’ about a Newcastle diehard who relocated to Sheffield with his job, began going to watch Wednesday for want of a football fix, blah, blah, and towards the end of the book his beloved boys in black and white come to Hillsborough for the fifth or sixth time since he’d moved and of course his allegiance has changed to Wednesday. Sounds trite, but was actually a great read.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I will never give up being an Albion supporter, I don't think I could even if I wanted to - but I refuse to sink more money into a morally bankrupt Premier League that acts with such disdain for their 'customers'. It's not the £14.95 thats tipped me over the edge, infact I haven't put a single penny in to Sky or the PL since going to Spurs away on Boxing Day 2019.

If we go down then hopefully I'll be able to get a ST again, but until then I can't face pumping money in to a bloated system that is slowly edging itself towards a long overdue implossion.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is refusing to pay fifteen quid to watch a game played, for some bizarre reason at Monday teatime giving up on your team then?

It's perfectly valid to opine that modern football is a crock of shit without going out and buying a Pompey shirt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You what? You what? You what you what you what?

Is the right answer :thumbsup: :lolol:

But others have their reasons and 'events' my have pushed them over the edge.

I think anyone who says that, for example, health plus money plus covid plus the perception of a stink of hypocrisy over salaries versus soaking supporters for more income has pushed them over the edge, has my repect; and because it is so traumatic to give up on the club we all love, announcing the decision can all come out in a great big ranty, bloody, tear-sodden splurge, which people like me may find disturbing (till I change allegiance as I become more infirm, of course - I embrace hypocrisy :lolol:)

I am in team 'remain', at least until age, health, circumstances, annoyance with spotty faced millionaire footballers or 'other' take me over the edge.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Refusing to pay the monies, will watch on dodgy stream, and if that doesn't work listen on the wireless, just like the old days.
Just because you don't do what the hard mentality do, doesn't make you any less of a fan :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've seen it all in fifty odd years of supporting my team, constant lower league football, a handful of minutes from going out of the league, a couple of seasons playing on the moon, a great many years sitting on scaffold at an athletics track, euphoria and despair, I've had the lot. Becoming a snowflake because we're not competing with a traditional english top six? Nope, not yet. I will be buried or cremated in a blue and white box but until that time......you can **** right off with this vitriol towards my team

I actully shed a tear reading that. Top man :bowdown:

Edit: or woman. Casual gender stereotyping; my bad :facepalm:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m at the stage now, where I could be close to giving up on football completely.

The greed throughout the professional game, VAR is a total mood killer, and has been implemented so badly, zillion pound transfers for pretty average players, so called agents, who are no better than pimps, clubs willing to pay millions to agents, television companies being the new masters of the game,fans being an inconvenience to clubs, the big six trying to bully everyone to get their own way, and the PPV. debacle, the new rules FIFA wants to bring in.
I’ve always thought that football had to move with the times, and has at times, been at fault for not keeping up with modern day concerns, but now, I am not far off walking away from all of it.

Unless football hierarchy starts addressing the very real concerns of ordinary fans, I can see my feelings for the beautiful game will be in the majority, not just a small minority.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m at the stage now, where I could be close to giving up on football completely.

The greed throughout the professional game, VAR is a total mood killer, and has been implemented so badly, zillion pound transfers for pretty average players, so called agents, who are no better than pimps, clubs willing to pay millions to agents, television companies being the new masters of the game,fans being an inconvenience to clubs, the big six trying to bully everyone to get their own way, and the PPV. debacle, the new rules FIFA wants to bring in.
I’ve always thought that football had to move with the times, and has at times, been at fault for not keeping up with modern day concerns, but now, I am not far off walking away from all of it.

Unless football hierarchy starts addressing the very real concerns of ordinary fans, I can see my feelings for the beautiful game will be in the majority, not just a small minority.

At a certain stage in life it's time to develop a serious weed habit. **** it. **** 'em. **** it all.

I'm not there yet, no sir. It will happen though :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here