Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Given our injuries...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think I've ever been as surprised by how a game panned out as I was yesterday. I couldn't see, with all the injuries, how we could possibly put in a performance other than perhaps a backs to the wall "grab a winner and hold on" kind of game. To play such good football and be thoroughly deserving of a big victory is testament to the players and RDZ. One of the very best performances for me.
Indeed. We had had about four shots on target after 15 minutes. The fannying about at the back was insanely good. Steele also wasn't afraid to hoof it, either, and with JP up front, we had an outlet for that. Because the team was 'so depleted' I was expecting Spuds to start banging them in any minute. I didn't expect to have to wait till we were 4-0 up. Milner had an almost free role - so much more effective than when he was forced to stay glued to the wing (and receive a pass once every ten minutes, if he was lucky, by which time the old rheumatic legs had almost set into a leg-rictus). Top coaching and game plan by RDZ.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't think I've ever been as surprised by how a game panned out as I was yesterday. I couldn't see, with all the injuries, how we could possibly put in a performance other than perhaps a backs to the wall "grab a winner and hold on" kind of game. To play such good football and be thoroughly deserving of a big victory is testament to the players and RDZ. One of the very best performances for me.
Doesn’t sound very RDZ that 😁

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I wouldn't say we were 'in control'. To be honest, it felt all along that it could end 5-5 or something like that. In the first half, they had quite a lot of the ball in and around the box and were quite wasteful - in as much as they didn't actually take any shots. When they did shoot, they looked dangerous, and I always felt they were a goal away from opening the floodgates. The first half alone could have ended 4-2.

A highly enjoyable game.
I see where you're coming from...ish, but it's difficult to be 4 - 0 up and not to think we were 'in control'...no?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I see where you're coming from...ish, but it's difficult to be 4 - 0 up and not to think we were 'in control'...no?
Yes - which is why it was such a crazy game. We weren't controlling the game at any stage really; not like we have done in some other games - where we have been on top in every part of the pitch, and comfortable. If we had been fully in control - we wouldn't have allowed them a sniff of a second goal, yet they had three decent chances even after that.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes - which is why it was such a crazy game. We weren't controlling the game at any stage really; not like we have done in some other games - where we have been on top in every part of the pitch, and comfortable. If we had been fully in control - we wouldn't have allowed them a sniff of a second goal, yet they had three decent chances even after that.
...and we had several prior to that. Mad game indeed, but if any team can't be described as in control, with a 4 - 0 lead, I don't know what could be.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mitoma———-Enciso———-March
Adingra————Fati———Lamptey
———-Webster——Veltman———

£200m+ worth of talent missing.

A stunning result.
It’s only £200m if someone is prepared to pay it. they cost us about £30m and Fati & March are home grown so zero.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Said it before but all the minutes our wider squad and youngsters are getting now is going to pay off massively later in the season and beyond. Not ideal circumstances of course but as we get players back the squad depth will be immense, particularly if we add a couple in the upcoming window (can’t see us selling anyone thankfully). All set for a strong second half of the season hopefully.

Our 18 and 19 year olds are PL first team ready. Whilst most other clubs/managers just use their names on submitted squad sheets ….. Moyes, Emery, Dyche, Arteta stand out in doing that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s only £200m if someone is prepared to pay it. they cost us about £30m and Fati & March are home grown so zero.
Not sure you can describe Fati as home grown when that's with another club and he has a substantial buy out clause, not that we would ever pay that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not sure you can describe Fati as home grown when that's with another club and he has a substantial buy out clause, not that we would ever pay that.
All Spanish players have buyout clauses. A mediocre player will have a €200m buy out it’s the law there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All Spanish players have buyout clauses. A mediocre player will have a €200m buy out it’s the law there.
So how much do you think Fati is worth? He's not worth a billion but he's not worth as little as €200k. He's still not a home grown player from Brighton's perspective.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Instantly into my top 10 most memorable Albion performances, especially in light of the aforementioned circumstances, to reiterate being an old git Lawrenson is my Albion greatest of all time but in Pedro there is now a legitimate challenger.

Ifs and buts 🙈, just think what a fit Mitoma and Enciso could have added? 😂
Aahh yes 👍...but if Mitoma had played then Pedro wouldn't have had that mazy run across the 18 yard box that resulted in Hinshelwood scoring,😉.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So how much do you think Fati is worth? He's not worth a billion but he's not worth as little as €200k. He's still not a home grown player from Brighton's perspective.
He’s obviously a class player although injuries may be an issue with the young man. It’s difficult to price tag him because of his fitness.
Right now I would say £40-50m lot of potential and also quite a lot of risk.
If we had buyout clauses as standard in the UK Mitoma would probably be £500m Ferguson £1b no one’s ever going to pay it though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He’s obviously a class player although injuries may be an issue with the young man. It’s difficult to price tag him because of his fitness.
Right now I would say £40-50m lot of potential and also quite a lot of risk.
If we had buyout clauses as standard in the UK Mitoma would probably be £500m Ferguson £1b no one’s ever going to pay it though.
Fati's buy out clause is exceptional, probably due to the labels placed on him when he first broke through. I would suggest in the current market your valuation is a little on the light side, 22 goals in 80 appearances for Barca might back that up.

Seem to remember Neymar had a buy out clause at Barca that nobody thought would be met!! (although I agree that no one is going to pay a billion or even half that).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fati's buy out clause is exceptional, probably due to the labels placed on him when he first broke through. I would suggest in the current market your valuation is a little on the light side, 22 goals in 80 appearances for Barca might back that up.

Seem to remember Neymar had a buy out clause at Barca that nobody thought would be met!! (although I agree that no one is going to pay a billion or even half that).
He is a superb player Fati sad he got injured when he did I’m sure he would of found the net and turned some of our draws into wins.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think what has become clear is that we are a squad team. With maybe the one exception being Dunk (we'll see next Tuesday) we seem to be able to replace a player without any noticeable weakness in the team being obvious.

Position interchangeability at its best, our 2 open play goals were scored by our fullbacks!!
Broadly agree with the exception that you are underplaying Pascal. RDZ plays him pretty much all the time and he doesn't get suspensions either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here