Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Give this head Teacher a 'medal'.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The old 'abduction' charge.

This kind of invalidates absolutely anything your 13 year old does, whats the point !!
If people are happy for their kids to be wandering the streets when they are meant to be in school and want to argue the point then I'm flabbergasted to say the least. This woman was lucky all the kids that were meant to be in her care returned unharmed. My daughters school has a very strict policy but they would never adopt this irresponsible behaviour.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If people are happy for their kids to be wandering the streets when they are meant to be in school and want to argue the point then I'm flabbergasted to say the least. This woman was lucky all the kids that were meant to be in her care returned unharmed. My daughters school has a very strict policy but they would never adopt this irresponsible behaviour.

Why would you think potential abductors do shift work ??

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The difference between school and work is that you have to go to school; in the world of work you can choose whether you want to work in an organisation with a very strict dress or uniform code (such as the armed forces or legal profession) or somewhere relaxed.
I got involved in a dispute with my son's school over their changed uniform policy when they stated they were going to make them all wear blazers instead of sweatshirts; my view was/is that blazers aren't a practical item of clothing. I (and a couple of others) was such a pain in the arse to the head that in the end they delayed making it compulsory for year 11.
I attended a review at the school where another parent said "Oh I do like children to look smart" to which I replied "I'd rather have a bright kid, with his own sense of self expression than a thick lummox in a shirt and tie". Didn't make a lot of friends that night.

you are danny kendall and i claim my five pounds

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ah yes, my mistake. However, this is a mistake that plenty of people make. It seems harsh to use this as a stick to beat him with.

Completely true - but if you're the head teacher of a school, it's not a mistake you should be making, or allowing to be made, in official school communications. How can teachers correct and improve students' work if they don't appear to know the rules themselves?

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
You begin by saying that you understand the reasoning of a school uniform policy, but then undermine your argument by questioning part of it. Of course in theory your hair colour should not affect learning, but that is not the issue here. From 30 years teaching experience, I know that school uniform and indeed all rules are debated at school council level, involving students, and in staff meetings. They are then circulated to all parents well in advance, precisely so that no one could reasonably claim they had just bought something the day before, and could not now afford a second pair eg at short notice. The problem is the minority of parents who take no real notice and do not read school letters because education is not a priority for them. It is a secondary school and so one can assume it is has, say, 1000 pupils, perhaps not that much. 150 would be 15% approx., and so you would have to ask yourself why the other 85% felt able to abide by the rules. There is nothing more annoying than abiding by the rule, irrespective of what it is, and how you feel about it, and then finding out that others who take no notice, simply get away with it - it is morale sapping for the majority. If you don't not like a rule, by all means question it, but if the majority appear happy with it, then it behoves you to accept that.
As for your opinion that in the work place you can have much as you please, appearance-wise - I think you would find that this is not the case in a professional environment. Rightly or wrongly, most people would be put off by a teacher and/or doctor who had an appearance such as you describe, and said individual would probably be overlooked at an interview. It may not be morally right, but I submit that this is what would happen, as an employer would have to think of the customers.

I wasn't questioning the issue of the compulsory uniform, as I stated before I agree with the policy of uniforms in schools. Mainly because it reduces the social & economical differences that occur in schools.
My question was how does having two sets of earrings in your ears or red hair stop you from learning? I dont see the valid argument for that part of the policy.

As for the parents not adhering to the rules regarding uniform. It's the children who are being punished for that if their education is being affected.

When in hospital recently there was a young woman working there with a full sleeve arm tattoo & lots of piercings including her septum. I myself have piercings & tattoos and work with the public & customers. It's not mentioned or has been an issue when applying for jobs in the past

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Completely true - but if you're the head teacher of a school, it's not a mistake you should be making, or allowing to be made, in official school communications. How can teachers correct and improve students' work if they don't appear to know the rules themselves?
I would agree, but in this context you are beating him with a common and often undetected mistake when all he's trying to do is enforce a school uniform policy.

What you're doing is the equivalent of advocating anarchy as an official state policy because some of our politicians don't behave themselves.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So it doesn't matter that her school has no respect for the English language as long as everyone is dressed the same ...

Or maybe it's a typo that the school would be happy to correct if someone pointed out their mistake. Talk about over-reactions and all sorts of fallacious arguments on here. A small typo from the school indicates NO respect for the English language, someone else seems to think that it's impossible to have bright and smart children, someone else brings up the risk of children getting abducted whilst on their way home to get changed into the correct uniform.

It's a school uniform. We've all worn them, we all know the drill. Parents shouldn't really be shocked at the rules set and if it bothers them that much, find another school where the uniform policy is more lax.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I understand the reasoning & importance of the School uniform policy , to a certain extent at least.
What I fail to understand is the impact the colour or style of your hair or how many piercings you have has on your ability to learn?

The principal said rules were an important part of growing up to get students ready for "adult life".

Pretty sure that in "adult life" you are free to express yourself with your personal appearance however you see fit. You can have brightly, unnatural coloured hair & as many piercings as you please. Most workplaces do not discriminate against multicoloured, pierced people & they certainly don't send you home to make yourself ready to work.

& that's why no'one has offered you a job in the City...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I wasn't questioning the issue of the compulsory uniform, as I stated before I agree with the policy of uniforms in schools. Mainly because it reduces the social & economical differences that occur in schools.
My question was how does having two sets of earrings in your ears or red hair stop you from learning? I dont see the valid argument for that part of the policy.

As for the parents not adhering to the rules regarding uniform. It's the children who are being punished for that if their education is being affected.

When in hospital recently there was a young woman working there with a full sleeve arm tattoo & lots of piercings including her septum. I myself have piercings & tattoos and work with the public & customers. It's not mentioned or has been an issue when applying for jobs in the past

Thanks you for the reply, I fully understand that you were not questioning the uniform as such, but stand by what I said in that you are undermining your own argument by then questioning what you yourself feel is unreasonable. Of course what ear ring you wear does not affect learning as such - the issue is that if the rule is there it should be enforced and you cannot have some folk just ignoring it - to the annoyance of the majority who adhere to what was agreed. What ear ring is of no more relevance to learning than the colour of the school jumper -you cannot simply separate the two. Also if your agreement with school inform is that it is a leveller, which in theory it is, then presumably that applies to pricey and cheaper ear rings?!! Yes, I know!

You are quite right in that parental lack of interest will impact on the child negatively, but what solution can we offer for this? In my pastoral roles over many years, I tried to address this, but at the end of the day, the influence of school over that of home is minimal at best, and so this is something we will just have to accept. Also, children are very loyal to their parents, quite understandably as this is all they know, and will often quite happily go with the parents' priorities.

Of course people working with the public can and do have tattoos, and why not? But as we both know, there are tattoos and tattoos. Sometimes an individual's appearance will be so outlandish, or whatever adjective we choose, that they will be overlooked, rightly or wrongly. This is what happens in life. It may not have happened to you, and probably might not be explicitly stated as a reason for refusal of employment, but you would be rather naïve if you thought that this is never the case. A few years ago, I applied for a job and after being in post a few months, was told that the other candidate had an email address which was something like lazygit - he wasn't interviewed. Not the same as appearance, I appreciate, but the principle is the same. He/she might in reality have been the most industrious soul in this world but the employer is understandably wary.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The difference between school and work is that you have to go to school; in the world of work you can choose whether you want to work in an organisation with a very strict dress or uniform code (such as the armed forces or legal profession) or somewhere relaxed.
I got involved in a dispute with my son's school over their changed uniform policy when they stated they were going to make them all wear blazers instead of sweatshirts; my view was/is that blazers aren't a practical item of clothing. I (and a couple of others) was such a pain in the arse to the head that in the end they delayed making it compulsory for year 11.
I attended a review at the school where another parent said "Oh I do like children to look smart" to which I replied "I'd rather have a bright kid, with his own sense of self expression than a thick lummox in a shirt and tie". Didn't make a lot of friends that night.

Blazers are quite practical surely? They've got loads of pockets, which sweartshirts don't generally. Of course sweatshirts are much better for running about etc..., and are warmer. Just depends what kind of practicality you want.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Or maybe it's a typo that the school would be happy to correct if someone pointed out their mistake. Talk about over-reactions and all sorts of fallacious arguments on here. A small typo from the school indicates NO respect for the English language, someone else seems to think that it's impossible to have bright and smart children, someone else brings up the risk of children getting abducted whilst on their way home to get changed into the correct uniform.

Well, a small typo made twice (BOYS and GIRLS - and we'll forget the unnecessary use of capitals) rather suggests it's not a typo but ignorance.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I would agree, but in this context you are beating him with a common and often undetected mistake when all he's trying to do is enforce a school uniform policy.

What you're doing is the equivalent of advocating anarchy as an official state policy because some of our politicians don't behave themselves.

She.

Anyway, up the Albion. I'm off to put some of those underused apostrophes to work.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Well, a small typo made twice (BOYS and GIRLS - and we'll forget the unnecessary use of capitals) rather suggests it's not a typo but ignorance.

Technically not actually a typo as it was ignorance rather than an error in the typography. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here