Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Give the class of Brighton University 2020 a REAL graduation ceremony

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This just isn't realistic is it, frankly.

Agreed. My wife used to work at the uni and had to assist at the Dome ceremonies. It’s a warren behind the scenes. It already has multiple ceremonies, so with social distancing it would require even more. The cost of hiring the Dome, having staff prepared to cover the events, exposing themselves to potential infection, all seem to give a sense of it needing to be postponed.
Like many other things, put it on the back burner and enjoy the occasion when it is safer and the pubs are open.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I've missed my graduation in Huddersfield this year, I have no idea if it will ever happen as we've had no comms since I got my results. I will happily sign it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
A few years ago my nephew never even bothered going to his as he was working.We are all different I guess.

I was similar, didn't give a monkeys about going to mine. It didn't feel any different to finishing school or my a-levels so it seemed a bit of a waste of time to me but it was a big thing for my parents as my brother and I were the first people on either side of the family to go to uni.

I went. It was as dull and pointless as I was expecting but my parents enjoyed it so worth it in the end.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fairy nuff. Just glad to have got through secondary education before they started meddling with it!!

ESCC did away with GS's very early on in 1969 eg it was 1975 in Brighton and Hove. I missed that system by many schools years.

In the last year of primary school we all did the obscure 'Bristol Achievement Test' in English, Maths and Science. Never told why, possibly for streaming in sets at the huge comprehensive school which awaited.

The comp were always aware of the test results, later using it as a reference point if you lost your way.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I remember the numbers in my mid-80's time. Obviously, the course was paid for by the state and you didn't get to find out how much was paid to the uni.

Then a maintenance grant of £1,900 per annum - but I didn't qualify as my Dad was a higher rate tax payer, so he paid me the £1,900 instead. The halls of residence took £30 per week, which included full board really nice food in the canteen, so x 30 weeks = £900. Leaving me with £900 for beer, travel, tiny subs for uni clubs etc, which I supplemented by working many days (not full time) in the holidays.

I'll admit, some students and graduates don't, that it was a semi-jolly. Plenty of lay ins, sport, boozy nights, and being a typical male assignments were completed near the deadlines.

I hope it wasn't an advanced mathematics course that you took :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ESCC did away with GS's very early on in 1969 eg it was 1975 in Brighton and Hove. I missed that system by many schools years.

In the last year of primary school we all did the obscure 'Bristol Achievement Test' in English, Maths and Science. Never told why, possibly for streaming in sets at the huge comprehensive school which awaited.

The comp were always aware of the test results, later using it as a reference point if you lost your way.

Yet we were often told that comprehensive schools wouldn't 'stream' - it would be all abilities taught together - that was the ethos, anyway. Hmmmm .....

Happy to be now living in a county with seven grammar schools (four of them actually in Gloucester itself)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here