Give Lewis Dunk his chance or bring someone in?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Dunk has to be played. He's earnt the opportunity by playing well when he's gotten the chance and kept working hard while waiting for the chance.

There's no point in us bringing through young players if every opportunity that opens up for them is given to another player we bring in.

Completely agree but think we need another good centre half brought in to fight for a place with Dunk and Greer.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Upson seems to rate Dunk:

"He really impresses me with the ball. His range of passing and execution of passing is first class.

"He's got some things to work on, as every young player has at that age and I had at that age.

"It's just a case of him playing games, getting that experience and learning about himself and what he needs to do, analysing his game and setting himself some goals to get better in the areas that are going to make him a Premier League standard player, which he is capable of being."

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think we let Dunk have his chance. We should bring someone in as cover though and give Maximenko a chance as cover too.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think Dunk has to start playing games. But, he needs someone experienced along side him - to bring him along as Upson has pointed out. To be honest, i hoped that Dunk would replace Greer, with Upson supporting Dunk. But thats not to be. Can Greer be the experienced teacher?

Upson seems to rate Dunk:

"He really impresses me with the ball. His range of passing and execution of passing is first class.

"He's got some things to work on, as every young player has at that age and I had at that age.

"It's just a case of him playing games, getting that experience and learning about himself and what he needs to do, analysing his game and setting himself some goals to get better in the areas that are going to make him a Premier League standard player, which he is capable of being."

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We obviously need to get someone in. Possibly two. And then select from those.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have thought this is as much in Lewis Dunk's hands as anything else. It's up to him. He's the one who needs to grasp the opportunity it presents, nobody else. If he shows the club he's up to it, then he gets the job. But much as (going by the evidence on here) supporters would seemingly like to see him given a chance, the fact is that the same supporters won't tolerate his presence in the side if he makes too many errors (in the same way that JFC was talked up and then cut down by various people last season).

I think he's got the ability to be the main man for us. Time to see him show it. Lewis: over to you.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd have thought this is as much in Lewis Dunk's hands as anything else. It's up to him. He's the one who needs to grasp the opportunity it presents, nobody else. If he shows the club he's up to it, then he gets the job. But much as (going by the evidence on here) supporters would seemingly like to see him given a chance, the fact is that the same supporters won't tolerate his presence in the side if he makes too many errors (in the same way that JFC was talked up and then cut down by various people last season).

I think he's got the ability to be the main man for us. Time to see him show it. Lewis: over to you.

I think the comparison with Forster-Caskey is good. They're both very talented youngsters and in a couple of years time I think they'll be standout players for us.
Last season they both showed some very good moments and some pretty average ones.
At the moment I think they should be both be challenging a more senior pro for their spot rather than first choice.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Dunk deserves a chance....I don't mind mid table next season as long as we are building a young committed team of young seagulls that will take us up in majestic fashion in 3/4 seasons time.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Well unless Rea, Dallison or Maximenko are ready to step up to first team football we will need to bring at least one CB in.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
When you think how many good central defenders we have brought through and let go, Grant Hall, Steve Cook, Tommy Elphick and Adam E lAbd in the last two seasons and now we are scratching around to find replacements. I find it all a little crazy, where is our forward planning?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We need to get someone in, Dunk is a booking waiting to happen every time he plays and as such is a liability.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Give Dunk a chance, I was hoping he would get his chance along side Upson next season, however thats not going to happen now.

Carlos Cuellar IN.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I would do both. Dunk needs to play. Personally think Greer is more of a worry. Would like another experienced centre back.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
Reckon we should aim to have 3 first team CBs and then have two potential DS centre backs to fill in if necessary (Maksimenko, Rea). Also worth noting that Calde could fill in at CB if needed.

This means I think we still only need one more first team CB, to accompany Greer and Dunk who both have first team experience. New CB needs to be someone similar to Upson though, with experience and probably some height for dealing with crosses (which Upson was brilliant at).

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
We are only an injury or suspension away from problems in that area as shown at Derby so we need someone in. Whether it is 2 will depend on the progress of Maksimenko. As for Dunk it is up to him to grab a first team chance during pre-season.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Issue for me is we give the youngsters a chance and then they get poached by a higher club. Maybe with a tidy profit this is all part of our immediate horizon but i strongly feel that players will want to stay if playing for us is professionally rewarding and i think this comes down partly to the way we play. Not everyone has aspirations to play our style! That's one of the reasons the manger appointment is so important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports