Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Give GUS £15-20m to spend as one last throw of the dice

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We need to improve gradually season by season instead of gambling all or nothing and risking everything going tits up. I was just thinking of being at Mansfield in 1999 , after Horton left and Jeff Wood was put in charge. We were 3 nil down at half time and the players couldn't give a toss or had the ability to do anything about it. Changing the manager doesn't always work out for the better.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Chucking money at one manager is the worst possible solution. The future of this club is about steady progress and hopefully seeing the fruits one day of a good youth policy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Biscuit. Leicester have lost £45 million in 2 seasons plus whatever they've lost this season. Let Bloom decide the budget. Neither Cardiff or Hull needed to spend crazy money to get automatic promotion and with QPR, Wigan and Reading coming down I don't see any of those locking up a promotion place either.

We need to replicate our 2nd half of the season across the whole 2013/14 season,there is no need to go mad.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The budget's ok. The big mistake was not signing the striker we needed until January. Had Ulloa, or someone else of similiar standard, come in last summer we'd all now be looking forward to days out at the Emirates etc.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Missed this yesterday due to NSC giving my cimputer all manner of STDs, but can I add my voice to the 'What a terrible idea' contingent.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Fair enough.. £20M might be pushing it. £5m then. But I am more gutted this morning about the potential dismamntling of everything that has been building for 4 years. I can deal with losing to the sc*m as we've had a sensational season, finishing comfortably above THEM and the play-offs are a well-known lottery. What I hate about modern football is the temporary nature of it all. Agree - a few quality signings (adding strength, guile, tenacity) will make all those draws becomes wins next season. Would be heart-breaking for it all to crumble now.

:lol: bit of a jump.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I agree with Biscuit. Leicester have lost £45 million in 2 seasons plus whatever they've lost this season. Let Bloom decide the budget. Neither Cardiff or Hull needed to spend crazy money to get automatic promotion and with QPR, Wigan and Reading coming down I don't see any of those locking up a promotion place either.

We need to replicate our 2nd half of the season across the whole 2013/14 season,there is no need to go mad.

Think Reading will be nailed on for play offs as will Bolton.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't need to spend big money on transfers - just the wages to keep the players we have.

(Oh, and FWIW, I stayed and clapped the players for the brilliant 4th finish... after the last league match.)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
That's what many said about Wolves & Blackburn this season, surely?
I think the big difference is that both Reading and Bolton have good, bright managers and are backed by sensible boards. Atkins has experience of taking a side up from the Championship and Freedman did a very good job at Palace and now at Bolton, blowing what looked like a certain play-off place on the last day. Wolves took a big gamble on Solbakken and both clubs have changed their managers countless times since last season, which we know (unless you're Chelsea) never works. I'd be very surprised if both aren't up there next season.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't want our club to suffer as a result of Poyet's ambition. TB has invested heavily in the infrastructure (not to mention kept us afloat through the Withdean years) and we should now be looking to be self sufficient. Good income from gates, bits and bobs and buying/selling may mean a slowly, slowly approach, but I, for one, don't have a problem with this. I am just glad I still have my local team to support, and pleased we are at such a good level (esp after half time at Hereford).

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
From todays papers the budget is £10 million. That of course can be increased by off loading some players to increase funds. I think we have to be realistic that Bridcutt will go and maybe young talent like Dunk, I have no idea of valuation but that may well bring in £5 million and further increase the budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here