Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giroud

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He’s been a quality player no doubt but he is 35 in 4 months time and I just don’t think he is what we need for what he would cost.

When you’re a mid/lower Premier League club, you just can’t afford to carry players who might be a bit of a luxury and not able to contribute to the overall team effort. We saw this towards the end of Murray’s time. Murray might have been a better finisher but as an attacking and defensive unit we’re better with Maupay/Trossard/Welbeck.

I agree that we’re also not what he would want at all. He will want to play with better players and probably in a slightly less physically intense league now where he doesn’t have to play every week. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him finally end up at Roma with Mourinho. I think he would be as successful in Italy as Zlatan has been going back there.

He is not coming but I think he would be fine.

Its not a luxuary player, which is one of the reasons he gets little recognition. Sure, he is 192 cm tall and doesnt have the body type to be able to constantly pressure opponents, but his game is very team-centric. Just look at his performances when France won their gold in 2018 - he didnt score a single goal but was instrumental in setting up Griezmann and Mbappe in game after game.

If we want a target player kind of striker at the club we'll have to accept that he wont be able to run as much as Welbeck & Maupay. Its the reason why players like Zlatan, Giroud, Drogba and similar are sometimes seen as lazy - they need more rest in between actions. Sometimes it is worth it, in other games its not, but its a good option to have.

Anyhow, as were both aware - it wont be Giroud.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isnt that pretty much exactly what you were saying in your last post? Its not always easy to see the message beneath your oratory diarrhea so could be wrong.

You were asking why Abraham and Giroud, "Europes elite", are unrealistic and then started moaning about TB being too cheap to sign the "exciting goal scorer" and then settling for something that does not live up to your entitled needs.

Some in here are very poor at hiding that they'd rather have some rich oil sheikh than Tony Bloom.

Statto [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is a good lad. Not all of us are straightforward. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Serious question: out of all the people we're not going to sign, why does Giroud get brought up so much?

He's not when compared to Mitrovic, Giroud hardly scratches the surface.

For much of NSC criteria for a new striker is:-

Former striker to return - we've now finally run out
Player who scores against us - Mitrovic.
Aging benchwarmer 'name' who lives local.

For the club the criteria is:-

Moneyball youngster - becomes too expensive.
Moneyball youngster - under 23's.
Whoever is left.

We can all be certain the club have scouted hundreds of strikers, this season.
Yet Giroud becomes the answer because he's won a world cup and is 'far to good for us'.

My memory of his W/C is a little shaky but it's something like 40 minutes 1 goal and a performance that nearly cost France the World Cup!!

Soon we'll find out who the next Nunez, El Cucumber, (can't remember his name) & I can't remember the one before that either, the club has scouted and put a hard valuation on.

That valuation will be too low.
He'll not sign.
Yet we can draw a pretty straight line between the decision to not sign Nunez 12 months ago and costing £8m just from the last 3 games alone.

The huge contradiction being Maupay aside 'we can't afford promising striker' but that decision has literally taken money out of the club for the past 4 seasons.

Yet the entire fantastic defence has been put together for less than £30m, £6m a season.

I find all sides of this incredibly frustrating as I'm sure everyone else does, from Mr Bloom down.

Giroud or Mitrovic aren't the answer.
The club know who the answer is.

Will they buy him?

(The clamour for Welbeck to resign appears to have died down since Murray laid out all his shortcomings on national TV)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My memory of his W/C is a little shaky but it's something like 40 minutes 1 goal and a performance that nearly cost France the World Cup!!)

There's shaky

And then there's this.

He didn't score.
He played every game
Was a key point of the attack to allow players like Mbappe and Griezmann to do their thing
Helped France win the world Cup.

The fact the manager persisted playing him despite the lack of goals shows the impact he had on the team. .

If it's goals you are worried about, he scored 5 international goals at the back end of 2020

Frances 2nd all time top scorer probably is too good for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's not when compared to Mitrovic, Giroud hardly scratches the surface.

For much of NSC criteria for a new striker is:-

Former striker to return - we've now finally run out
Player who scores against us - Mitrovic.
Aging benchwarmer 'name' who lives local.

For the club the criteria is:-

Moneyball youngster - becomes too expensive.
Moneyball youngster - under 23's.
Whoever is left.

We can all be certain the club have scouted hundreds of strikers, this season.
Yet Giroud becomes the answer because he's won a world cup and is 'far to good for us'.

My memory of his W/C is a little shaky but it's something like 40 minutes 1 goal and a performance that nearly cost France the World Cup!!

Soon we'll find out who the next Nunez, El Cucumber, (can't remember his name) & I can't remember the one before that either, the club has scouted and put a hard valuation on.

That valuation will be too low.
He'll not sign.
Yet we can draw a pretty straight line between the decision to not sign Nunez 12 months ago and costing £8m just from the last 3 games alone.

The huge contradiction being Maupay aside 'we can't afford promising striker' but that decision has literally taken money out of the club for the past 4 seasons.

Yet the entire fantastic defence has been put together for less than £30m, £6m a season.

I find all sides of this incredibly frustrating as I'm sure everyone else does, from Mr Bloom down.

Giroud or Mitrovic aren't the answer.
The club know who the answer is.

Will they buy him?

(The clamour for Welbeck to resign appears to have died down since Murray laid out all his shortcomings on national TV)

Giroud started 6 out of 7 games in the World Cup, only being subbed off once (with 5 minutes to go). So yeah, you memory is a little shaky.

Then you have all the other shit you pulled out of your arse.

No one in here knows if Brighton actually were anywhere near signing Nunez. No one knows if he would have done well.

No one knows if the "decision" not to sign a striker (except for the has "literally taken money out of the club for the past 4 seasons."

The club has spent £45m on strikers since joining the first division. This is not including Trossard and Jahanbaksh who could be seen as wingers but has sometimes started up front. Including them, the club spent £77m on strenghtening the striker role despite already having Murray when winning promotion.

Not enough for you and the others from the "I'm definitely not a demanding, entitled person who is completely ungrateful towards Tony Bloom, but..." brigade, apparently. Must be tiresome to be him. Must be tiresome to be you.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Yes hindsight is a great thing. There is and was something about Toney that suggests he would have the confidence to play at top level. However, we shall only know this when it happens.

I guess we are all looking for the next Jamie Vardy , a lower league gem (who joined Leicester when they were Championship level and not Prem). but I do think talk of signing Abraham or Giroud is unrealistic.

He does look a decent player, and I definitely think 30+ goals in the Championship is something that has to be looked at seriously. Unfortunately other teams are thinking the same.

I think looking at his form last year 26 goals in league one, I do think £10 million would be a big punt for a Prem side to take because the step up is considerable. But I hadn't realised the fee was supposedly £5 million rising to £10 million with add ons, which sounds much more reasonable.

I guess from the club's point of view, maybe we were looking at our squad thinking if we bring in a player from a lower division we have to get them up to the required level, but we already have Maupay and Connolly that we're trying to do that with. Unless we got rid of one of those two, could we have afforded a 3rd player in that bracket? Hindsight tells us that yes we probably could have done, but I guess at the time it was just a balancing act of trying to determine what we need, can afford and whether it's worth taking a punt. Also if it hadn't worked out we could have been lumbered with another player that we'd struggle to recoup the transfer fee for, and we have a few of those already. Finally all of that was also against the backdrop of the pandemic and uncertainty over finances, taking punts on players was probably something we were hestitant about last year. I'm not saying we didn't miss a trick with Toney last year, because it looks like we probably did, just trying to illustrate that there's a lot of things that go into making a decision on whether to take a gamble on a player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's shaky

And then there's this.

He didn't score.
He played every game
Was a key point of the attack to allow players like Mbappe and Griezmann to do their thing
Helped France win the world Cup.

The fact the manager persisted playing him despite the lack of goals shows the impact he had on the team. .

If it's goals you are worried about, he scored 5 international goals at the back end of 2020

Frances 2nd all time top scorer probably is too good for us.

Nailed it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely. I doubt that, unlike Tom Hark, me and many others on here, Swansman remembers Wood and Barnes wearing the blue and white. They were good then and they're good now. Burnley owe them so much.

Don't forget Vydra

This type of thread wouldn't be the same if he didn't get a mention too. :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Absolutely. I doubt that, unlike Tom Hark, me and many others on here, Swansman remembers Wood and Barnes wearing the blue and white. They were good then and they're good now. Burnley owe them so much.

As I've said, Wood is a good PL striker. Barnes is singing his last verse. No doubt.

They owe Burnley as much as Burnley owe them however, and its also not like they are the only ones contributing to Burnleys long stay in the PL.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As a serious answer, I would absolutely be onboard with a Giroud signing.

I and others here have often suggested him as being the ultimate Murray replacement. He’s a target man type striker and we haven’t got anyone like that so would compliment our forward options very well.

As alluded, we would have to beat a number of clubs worldwide who would be throwing big money his way. It would be a huge coup.

But then we did get Lallana from Liverpool, so it’s not completely impossible.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Ah yes, Olivier Giroud, a man reportedly on £110,000 a week, a World Cup Winner set on being in the squad for Euro 2021, the second-top all time scorer for his country, a man who is the French voice of Green Goblin in the new Spiderman films.

We don't stand a chance. If he is to leave Chelsea, he will go somewhere (presumably back in France) where he has a chance to play in Europe still, I think Lille or PSG could probably do with someone of his experience and stature.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ah yes, Olivier Giroud, a man reportedly on £110,000 a week, a World Cup Winner set on being in the squad for Euro 2021, the second-top all time scorer for his country, a man who is the French voice of Green Goblin in the new Spiderman films.

We don't stand a chance. If he is to leave Chelsea, he will go somewhere (presumably back in France) where he has a chance to play in Europe still, I think Lille or PSG could probably do with someone of his experience and stature.

Indeed. He is about as likely to go to Brighton as any of the other second-top all time scorers for countries on the top 10 FIFA world rankings. Eden Hazard, Olivier Giroud, Neymar, Bobby Charlton, Pauleta, Raul, Giuseppe Meazza, Gabriel Batistuta, Edinson Cavani, Pauli Jörgensen... some of them are very dead, some just bit dead, some of them retired, some of them still playing... what they all have in common is that they are equally likely to turn up in a Brighton shirt next season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Indeed. He is about as likely to go to Brighton as any of the other second-top all time scorers for countries on the top 10 FIFA world rankings. Eden Hazard, Olivier Giroud, Neymar, Bobby Charlton, Pauleta, Raul, Giuseppe Meazza, Gabriel Batistuta, Edinson Cavani, Pauli Jörgensen... some of them are very dead, some just bit dead, some of them retired, some of them still playing... what they all have in common is that they are equally likely to turn up in a Brighton shirt next season.

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing Giroud would get here is pretty well guaranteed game time when fit. Seems he has been a super sub for Arsenal and Chelsea for a while now. Can we dream that he may actually want to play for a team playing at the top level where he would be one of the first names on the team sheet?

Go to another big club and he’ll end up being a super sub again

No chance he’s coming here but I love grasping at straws

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here