Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giroud

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No idea why you got Wood and Barnes in the same sentence really? One is a great PL striker, the other isnt. There is really nothing indicating that Barnes would be better than any of the current Brighton strikers.

Absurd comment. BOTH are highly proven EPL strikers. Making yourself look a bit silly here mate :)

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think we should continue to look at taking a gamble on EFL strikers (Maupay) rather than established EPL guys. We can't afford them or their wages plus we are hardly a "pull" are we ? A side who play attractive football but always just finish above the relegation line.

I was annoyed that we didn't take a £10m punt on Ivan Toney when at Peterborough - he might prove to be dud if he gets to the Prem but more likely to succeed than some we have recruited from Holland, etc.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potter goes for a particular sort of Striker, one who can drop deep or go wide and link up play (Harry Kane is brilliant at this).

So it’s always worth looking at player assists when considering a new Striker for Potterball.

On another note, Mitro at Fulham is a much admired player to some on NSC, it’s noticeable that he just didn’t have the all round game for Parker’s progressive passing style despite smashing them in for Serbia regularly this season, I think we could assume Potter would take a similar view.

Rather than a static Murray/Giroud/Mitrovic type, we might well be looking for a player confident in scoring at the moment (30+ this season) but has the all round game to hit, say, 10 assists? Step forward Ivan Toney.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Exactly the type of striker we need. He could probably teach our young ones a few tricks. If he comes on a free and costs 100k a week and we can get 2-3 years out of him that's still only 15 million. That is a bargain.

I remember being at the Emirates when he scored this beauty (at 4:43):

(watch the whole reel - he is class)

Believe me, Olivier Giroud will have far bigger clubs courting his signature than little old Brighton, if not in this country then in Europe or beyond.

At this late stage of his playing career his next move will probably be his last one, and he will be concentrating on making as much money as possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it those of you happy with Giroud would have been equally happy being relegated this season, as well?

If we have to injure one more season of the elderly, the cheap, the lame and the yoof up front while the reported 'targets' sign elsewhere we're as good as relegated before kicking a ball.

This squad have spent the past 8 months sending a message to the top brass.

& the answer to that message is Oli Girude.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think we should continue to look at taking a gamble on EFL strikers (Maupay) rather than established EPL guys. We can't afford them or their wages plus we are hardly a "pull" are we ? A side who play attractive football but always just finish above the relegation line.

I was annoyed that we didn't take a £10m punt on Ivan Toney when at Peterborough - he might prove to be dud if he gets to the Prem but more likely to succeed than some we have recruited from Holland, etc.

I agree that the championship is a better judge of whether someone can step up to the Prem than the Dutch league, but I do feel some of the talk about Toney is with the benefit of hindsight. Yes he looked decent at Peterbrough and maybe we did watch him and there were people on here saying we should sign him, but I don't think any Premier league team would spend 10 million on a player in league 1, because that is a big step up for a player to make.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Cracks me up some people saying no to this, Giroud would be the perfect player for how we play, he’s technically gifted, a strong hold up player and is a proven finisher at this level.

The chances of us actually signing him? More chance of Elvis rising from the dead, his wages are well out of our league and he’ll have suitors at far bigger clubs that ours, probably AC Milan or the like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absurd comment. BOTH are highly proven EPL strikers. Making yourself look a bit silly here mate :)

I say this as a big fan of Barnes over the years

Sick note for the last two seasons (we already have two elderly injury prone players)

This season he has:

Played 15 games
Scored 3 goals
Assists - 0

Why on earth would we even consider him?

Who looks a bit silly now?

There is absolutely no way we will be going after Giroud and if we were he would just laugh at us.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I agree that the championship is a better judge of whether someone can step up to the Prem than the Dutch league, but I do feel some of the talk about Toney is with the benefit of hindsight. Yes he looked decent at Peterbrough and maybe we did watch him and there were people on here saying we should sign him, but I don't think any Premier league team would spend 10 million on a player in league 1, because that is a big step up for a player to make.

Yes hindsight is a great thing. There is and was something about Toney that suggests he would have the confidence to play at top level. However, we shall only know this when it happens.

I guess we are all looking for the next Jamie Vardy , a lower league gem (who joined Leicester when they were Championship level and not Prem). but I do think talk of signing Abraham or Giroud is unrealistic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess we are all looking for the next Jamie Vardy , a lower league gem (who joined Leicester when they were Championship level and not Prem). but I do think talk of signing Abraham or Giroud is unrealistic.

Why?

The club is now guaranteed to have the best part of £600m come through it's doors over the last 5 years.
The club has spent about £30m of that on all of it's defence, over the same period of time.

While up the other end of the pitch the club's strategy has been phenomenal:-

'Wave an exciting goal scorer under their nose'
'Balk at paying the market rate'
'Fob'em off with an old man they've heard of and a Swiss second division kid they haven't'
'Have the bandwagon trot out tired Jeolinton rhetoric'
'Not score any goals'

Rinse, repeat and wallow in the bottom 6 all season.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would just be a temporary sticking plaster, same as Welbeck. Old hacks looking for a last EPL payday before they have to up sticks to China or the US. Doesn't address the core issue of the club being unwilling to pay EPL rates for EPL promising prospects :shrug:

Agree.

Nobody saw the Chelsea game last night, and the wild and luduicrous slash from Giroud when presented with a decent chance, it seems.

Pure magic (of the Tommy Cooper variety)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwZYZKapms

But....he does have lovely hair.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Villa supporting relative reckons Villa in pole position for Abraham, offering £45m + add ons and making him their second highest paid player, he said that would blow anything we could offer out of the water, which is sadly true.

:nono:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why?

The club is now guaranteed to have the best part of £600m come through it's doors over the last 5 years.
The club has spent about £30m of that on all of it's defence, over the same period of time.

While up the other end of the pitch the club's strategy has been phenomenal:-

'Wave an exciting goal scorer under their nose'
'Balk at paying the market rate'
'Fob'em off with an old man they've heard of and a Swiss second division kid they haven't'
'Have the bandwagon trot out tired Jeolinton rhetoric'
'Not score any goals'

Rinse, repeat and wallow in the bottom 6 all season.

Same reasons Giroud, Aguero, Zlatan, Lewandowski and so on didnt sign last year or the year before that. But since you havent understood the "whys" yet, it seems rather meaningless to try to answer the question.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we either sign Europe's elite or nobody.

What a tool.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Villa supporting relative reckons Villa in pole position for Abraham, offering £45m + add ons and making him their second highest paid player, he said that would blow anything we could offer out of the water, which is sadly true.

:nono:

Sounds like the typical deluded Villa fan.

The way Villa spunk money around and pay absolutely insane wages, makes you question how doesn’t it?

I remember last summer or the summer before they were all convinced they could sign Dunk from us :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So we either sign Europe's elite or nobody.

What a tool.

Isnt that pretty much exactly what you were saying in your last post? Its not always easy to see the message beneath your oratory diarrhea so could be wrong.

You were asking why Abraham and Giroud, "Europes elite", are unrealistic and then started moaning about TB being too cheap to sign the "exciting goal scorer" and then settling for something that does not live up to your entitled needs.

Some in here are very poor at hiding that they'd rather have some rich oil sheikh than Tony Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here