Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gideon Falter

Status
Not open for further replies.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Purely for discussion, I really don't know the rights and wrongs of this, but it does seem that his "finished synagogue and went for a little walk" is not quite the whole story. Did the policeman do anything particularly wrong? I honestly don't know

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Already weaponized by the Tories to attack Khan, who *obviously* was whispering in the policeman's ear as his did what he decided to do (which sounds a bit more than wrong to me).

And the party political binfest will begin. Apologies for, well not pulling the trigger exactly, but pointing at the loaded gun.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
"Loss of control".....It happens to leaders and owners at times.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In the internet and mobile video world, gotchas are quite easy to obtain.

I posted a few days ago but I was subject to an exchange with some pro Palestinian protestors the other day, who actually approached me to sign a petition.

The exchange was pretty vile and all I questioned was their language had how it might negatively effect their worthwhile humanitarian argument.

IF (and of course I wouldn't), I had recorded the exchange and posted it on Twitter, the other person would be thinking about their job and I've been instantly followed by Lawrence Fox.

Everything now is nuanced. The copper should be subject to a disciplinary, as for the person the exchange did feel pre-planned. Who knows.

At best, they were trying to highlight the fact that outwardly expressions of being Jewish can be effectively a danger to yourself if you walk through a protest in Central London. It's there, I've seen it.

Entrenched positions, beyond reconciliation.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
In the internet and mobile video world, gotchas are quite easy to obtain.

I posted a few days ago but I was subject to an exchange with some pro Palestinian protestors the other day, who actually approached me to sign a petition.

The exchange was pretty vile and all I questioned was their language had how it might negatively effect their worthwhile humanitarian argument.

IF (and of course I wouldn't), I had recorded the exchange and posted it on Twitter, the other person would be thinking about their job and I've been instantly followed by Lawrence Fox.

Everything now is nuanced. The copper should be subject to a disciplinary, as for the person the exchange did feel pre-planned. Who knows.

At best, they were trying to highlight the fact that outwardly expressions of being Jewish can be effectively a danger to yourself if you walk through a protest in Central London. It's there, I've seen it.

Entrenched positions, beyond reconciliation.
Thank you. I haven't been in London at the weekend for ages. Your insight is a valuable one

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Build yet another thread on a very similar matter and they will come. A one sided pile on, with essays. No one giving an inch from entranced arrogance.
Really? Who do you have in mind? That sounds quite inappropriate to me.

Care to explain?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’m sure it’s been pointed out already, but try being a football fan in London and see how the Met treat you. This guy doesn’t know he’s born.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very poor language from the Met. IF he was just going about his normal day, it’s pretty abysmal from them.

However, I’ve a hunch they were convinced that he was mob-baiting. Maybe they’ve got it completely wrong, I don’t know? But my sympathy wanes if he has gone out to play politics and wind up an angry gang or two. I’ve not seen any convincing evidence this is the situation though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The phrase 'openly Jewish' was an unfortunate choice of words and unlikely to have been intended in the way it has been promoted. The police officer meant to say that it is clear he is Jewish wearing a kippah skull-cap.

It's unclear why they saw his presence as a provocation. Folk can come and go freely as they please. If a person with no obvious indications to suggest they are of a certain race can walk through a march then so can this chap. If anyone in the march confronts them then it is they who are in the wrong. Anything other than that is victim blaming,

Calling for the resignation of the Met Chief is just nonsense grandstanding. As usual, the grown ups have left the room and politicians and the media are taking over. The sensible thing to do is just have a talk about what happened, see where the errors were made and improve on it.

But that doesn't sell column space.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I back him all the way. British Jews don’t feel safe in London. That’s an effing outrage and an effing fact. I have no time for those who try to justify it in any way.
My mate, a goth/alternative type with braided hair, wears a pentagram necklace. Twice, while in London, he was accosted and threatened in convenience stores because the owners thought it was a Star of David. That was five years ago, what it would be like now is anyone’s guess.
It doesn’t make you far right to point out that both times the perpetrators were of a certain religion. Though I bet that’s what I’ll get called.
Normally I don’t post on political threads on here, mainly because we’re all Brighton fans first, our political allegiances should not come in to it. I like to just accept that we are all different in that aspect and it really doesn’t matter as long as our club is doing ok.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think the Police Officer got it right.
The Jewish gentleman was being disingenuous.

How many times have you , as a football fan, been told you can’t go in such and such pub, you can’t walk the other side of the road, or even down a certain road.

These instructions/orders are for your own safety.

The only difference is, if you ignore the Police and carry on with your actions, you are likely to be arrested for a public order offence.

My own suspicion is the gentleman in question was trying to provoke an incident that could be used to discredit the demonstrators.
The police officer prevented him from filming and broadcasting on the internet an incident, and, therefore, ruined a chance of a propaganda coup.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Poor copper had no chance. Was trying to do his best to avoid a potential difficult situation and is getting pelters. If it was a scarf laden West Ham fan trying to cross through a bunch of Millwall herberts I bet nobody would have complained
Wow, comparing antisemitism and then (now removed) gaslighting by the met police to football rivalry. As a member of the Jewish community I can tell you I don’t feel safe walking around London with any outward sign of my faith

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Very poor language from the Met. IF he was just going about his normal day, it’s pretty abysmal from them.

However, I’ve a hunch they were convinced that he was mob-baiting. Maybe they’ve got it completely wrong, I don’t know? But my sympathy wanes if he has gone out to play politics and wind up an angry gang or two. I’ve not seen any convincing evidence this is the situation though.
They know he was (google him). Now my question is still there, mob baiting maybe, but he should still be allowed to have free passage. I'm no fan of the Met but that officer took it on the chin

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m sure it’s been pointed out already, but try being a football fan in London and see how the Met treat you. This guy doesn’t know he’s born.
Doesn't make it right. At a peaceful protest, not a ruck dahn the Old Kent Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here