Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GIant PLANT pots in the road ? Mmmkay

Again Lord B, with respect. Why do we need all the consultation blah blah? if road users were paying attention, sticking to the speed limit etc etc, they should be able to negotiate a planter stuck in he road in a 20mph zone.

Getting pretty arsed off with all the do-gooders. The emphasis is on the road user, not the council/police etc
If it hadn't have been for consultation, all of the mature road-side trees alongside the A27 between Lewes and Falmer would have been chopped down a few years ago, because a road safety officer thought they were a danger to road users. Public consultation stopped this madness.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Again Lord B, with respect. Why do we need all the consultation blah blah? if road users were paying attention, sticking to the speed limit etc etc, they should be able to negotiate a planter stuck in he road in a 20mph zone.

Getting pretty arsed off with all the do-gooders. The emphasis is on the road user, not the council/police etc

I can only assume that your arrogant stance means you are a council employee. Otherwise why would you suggest that consulting with the people a change would affect, and more importantly with experts, would be a bad thing ? Consulting has nothing to do with being a 'do-gooder' ( although why is doing good a negative thing ? ) - it's common sense and democratic.

I guess B&H Council should scrap the panel I've just joined that allows residents to put forwards ideas and suggestions on how to manage and improve the rubbish collection services and recycling ? After all consultation is a bad thing .... apparently.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Jesus wept Lord B....clutching at straws now aren't we. Would you be happy for your poll tax to go up to pay for the tax ? Feeble arguement mate, i expected better from you.

As Lord B has said .... WHOOSH .... but also showing how out of date you are - poll tax :facepalm:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But we're talking about a few planters in the road to slow the traffic....not about removing 200 year old trees that are part of out heritage. With respect mate, have some perspective on this

It's exactly the same. Either there's consultation and some level of accountability or there isn't - in which case any Council official or department can do whatever the hell they like. And I would maintain that chopping down rare elms is just as much a sensible safety measure as putting plantpots in a major road.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Again, with respect but don't you think it's about time people started to face up to responsibilities and what the law stands for. This is the blame culture that is responsible for everyone else's shit but not our own. The planters are big enough to see if you were observing the speed limit and taking note of the surroundings. It's honestly not rocket science.

I don't really understand the point you're making to be honest. I am all for personal liability on the roads, everyone is responsible - cyclists, motorists, pedestrians, runners... Everyone has a responsibility to respect everyone else and the rules of the road. Cycling up Viaduct Road today (twice, unfortunately!) it was clear that as a cyclist I had to go into the middle of the lane to avoid the plant pot and I then had to rely on whoever was crawling up my backside to allow me to do that without just ploughing into me. Maybe I'm not showing motorists enough respect there, but when you've had to wait in the queues at Preston Circus because of the current roadworks (admittedly, they won't always be there) and with the looming roadworks at the bottom of Edward Street... people aren't hanging around. And if someone does plough into me, it's me who is going to suffer!

I think that the plant pots should be reviewed properly, so the thoughts and opinions of the Emergency Services, motorists and cyclists can call be considered. How certain are we that the council haven't installed these things literally for the sake of doing it? Have there been many accidents on this road, is that what has caused a review of the road layout? Did they think that this would be the best time to further interrupt the traffic flow in that area, given the roadworks there at the moment?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Surely if people are sticking to the speed limit of 20mph, there shouldn't be any issues with fatalities etc etc. Maybe the planters could be brought out into the road by an extra few feet to allow cyclists to pass through "pavement side"

A bad law is just going to be ignored. Random 20 mph limits driven by political dogma rather than road safety issues will continue to be ignored until new speed cameras are set up around the city to enforce them. Sadly they are being developed already, so the race is on to get the Greens out before they have the chance to buy and install them.

A bad law is just going to be ignored. Random 20 mph limits driven by political dogma rather than road safety issues will continue to be ignored until new speed cameras are set up around the city to enforce them. Sadly they are being developed already, so the race is on to get the Greens out before they have the chance to buy and install them.
The 20mph speed limits round our way we're installed by a Tory administered Council. Can the race include getting Tories out too?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It would appear some temporary road signs have now been installed. Seriously, how f**king stupid are these Greens ?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I'm always genuinely interested to hear why people vote for parties with solely national issues for local council positions?

I'm more interested in their local policies.

Local Policies That Affect You.

Democracy:Introduce binding local planning referendums on major decisions, such as out-of-town or large-scale supermarket developments, wind turbines, incinerators, solar farms, major housing developments and transport schemes like HS2.
Economy and Enterprise:Reduce tax and business costs to stimulate the local economy. Make it easier for smaller and local businesses to tender for local authority contracts.
Environment,
Planning and Housing:
Reduce the pressure on housing by ending open-door immigration. Oppose the bedroom tax, but provide incentives to re-use empty homes. Protect our green spaces by directing new housing and business developments to brown-field sites.Stop preferential treatment to special groups such as travellers - rules should apply equally to us all.
Education:Improve access to quality local education and create more grammar schools and technical skills colleges, encourage vocational apprenticeships, give parents the right to choose where their children go to school, protect rural schools and support home schooling.
Public Health and Social Care:Put local communities at the heart of health care. Oppose health tourism and cuts to front-line doctors, surgeons, dentists and nurses, but reduce the number of managers and executives.
Transport and Roads:Improve road maintenance as a priority. Mending potholes should take priority over council vanity schemes. Upgrade public transport, especially maintaining and reinstating rural bus routes that many communities depend on and which feed town-centre businesses and markets. Increase provision of free parking to regenerate town centres and boost business. Oppose any introduction of tolling on our roads and motorways.
Bin Collection:We are opposed to the loss of weekly bin collections and will restore it in councils where the majority of residents seek for it to be returned.

You know, that kind of thing!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm more interested in their local policies.

Local Policies That Affect You.

Democracy:Introduce binding local planning referendums on major decisions, such as out-of-town or large-scale supermarket developments, wind turbines, incinerators, solar farms, major housing developments and transport schemes like HS2.
Economy and Enterprise:Reduce tax and business costs to stimulate the local economy. Make it easier for smaller and local businesses to tender for local authority contracts.
Environment,
Planning and Housing:
Reduce the pressure on housing by ending open-door immigration. Oppose the bedroom tax, but provide incentives to re-use empty homes. Protect our green spaces by directing new housing and business developments to brown-field sites.Stop preferential treatment to special groups such as travellers - rules should apply equally to us all.
Education:Improve access to quality local education and create more grammar schools and technical skills colleges, encourage vocational apprenticeships, give parents the right to choose where their children go to school, protect rural schools and support home schooling.
Public Health and Social Care:Put local communities at the heart of health care. Oppose health tourism and cuts to front-line doctors, surgeons, dentists and nurses, but reduce the number of managers and executives.
Transport and Roads:Improve road maintenance as a priority. Mending potholes should take priority over council vanity schemes. Upgrade public transport, especially maintaining and reinstating rural bus routes that many communities depend on and which feed town-centre businesses and markets. Increase provision of free parking to regenerate town centres and boost business. Oppose any introduction of tolling on our roads and motorways.
Bin Collection:We are opposed to the loss of weekly bin collections and will restore it in councils where the majority of residents seek for it to be returned.

You know, that kind of thing!

Thanks for responding. Most of those are either nationally controlled issues, or not issues in Brighton. IMHO like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here