Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train home with a 5 year old.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
take your son around to the east side of the stadium where the bridge to the players car park is and get some autographs and photos. usually players start coming out after 30mins or so. i've taken my son there many times to get his shirt signed and we happily waste an hour there.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I am also taking my 5 year old son to his first game tomorrow. I'll be travelling via train from Polegate, was already planning on hanging around after the game to avoid the first couple of trains out of Falmer to Lewes as they are always heaving. Thought a quick look around the club shop would be in order, but hadn't thought of the pictures at pitch side. I'll nip in the North after the game and get some photos as we are in the West Upper, might even do the wait for the players thing too, want to make it a memorable day for him and get him hooked.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am also taking my 5 year old son to his first game tomorrow. I'll be travelling via train from Polegate, was already planning on hanging around after the game to avoid the first couple of trains out of Falmer to Lewes as they are always heaving. Thought a quick look around the club shop would be in order, but hadn't thought of the pictures at pitch side. I'll nip in the North after the game and get some photos as we are in the West Upper, might even do the wait for the players thing too, want to make it a memorable day for him and get him hooked.

The stewards don't like fans staying behind or nipping in. I was moved on after a game, and all I was doing was sitting down listening to radio sussex's post match broadcast whilst the queues died down. Try it though and see what happens, they may be more forgiving with a child.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Great tip Emphyrain.Will try that and hope I don't get moved on like Symyjym.

Tomorrow we are in the family section.For future games is it ok in the main stands for a 5 year old anyone?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
How exciting to be taking your son to their first Albion game. For my eldest it was vs York at the Goldstone (yes, that one) and my youngest was vs Bury in the rain at Withdean to see Bobby score a pen. Great memories. The Amex is a very family friendly place so you'll have no problems wherever you sit or how you travel. Here is hoping he gets to see a win!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The stewards don't like fans staying behind or nipping in. I was moved on after a game, and all I was doing was sitting down listening to radio sussex's post match broadcast whilst the queues died down. Try it though and see what happens, they may be more forgiving with a child.

Happened to me too. They are more than happy to let you on to the concourse and spend your money at the kiosks, but not to go into the seating areas.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Hi.
Am taking my 5 year old son to the game tomorrow and it will be both our first time.Went to the Goldstone
many times when I was much younger.
Am concerned that if we get the train back from Falmer after the game it will be manic.Is that the case?
Am I better off leaving the game a little early and catching the 16.26?

Cheers

My son has had a season ticket from aged 3 (now is 6) & we have always left at final whistle & have never had a problem (apart from him being a wee)

Queues go in 20 mins if you are swift (depends a bit on your seats) & if it's got a bit tight / too busy I just pick him up.

People have always been really respectful & do their best to let you on the train without squashing you / him. In fact I think he enjoys the travel more than the game (maybe that was just last season)

Good luck

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Great tip Emphyrain.Will try that and hope I don't get moved on like Symyjym.

Tomorrow we are in the family section.For future games is it ok in the main stands for a 5 year old anyone?

You come across as very mature and responsible for a five year old. I hope you enjoy your first Amex experience and don't worry if you lose your dad, you will more than likely find him at one of the numerous concourse bars!! With regards to the question about the main stands, if you don't mind your dad hearing some rather fruity language at times then he should be ok.
:thumbsup: :albion2:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Happened to me too. They are more than happy to let you on to the concourse and spend your money at the kiosks, but not to go into the seating areas.

Yep, this was after the Derby playoff. I wanted to get a burger after the game but the queues were massive. I couldn't get a radio signal in the concourse so I went back to my seat to listen to RS post match until the queue died down.

I wasn't treated as a fan or even a customer, and was made to fell like the naughty sheep who had escaped the pen. At the time I questioned whether I would bother going again tbh.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We were drinking quite happily in the North Stand after the final day victory over Wolves, granted it was a few seasons ago but it doesn't surprise that they want to keep all fans in the concourses spending money. Club shop and up to the players exit it is then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi.
Am taking my 5 year old son to the game tomorrow and it will be both our first time.Went to the Goldstone
many times when I was much younger.
Am concerned that if we get the train back from Falmer after the game it will be manic.Is that the case?
Am I better off leaving the game a little early and catching the 16.26?

Cheers
It's no trouble. Been catching the train home with mine for 3 seasons, since they were 4. Just let people know there's a little one, and use your body to protect them from the squeeze.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Thanks for the replies.
Guinness Boy if I have to leave 15 mins into the second half to get the 16.26 then I will forget that.
Looks like I will go with most peoples opinion and leave it for at least 30 mins after the game.
Nwgull I have no idea why you think I support Palace.The Goldstone as you know is Brightons
old ground and I went there many times supporting the Albion.

Notters I am travelling to Worthing.

I was able to take my son for a tour of the Nou Camp 2 weeks ago and now it will
be great that I am taking him to a superb stadium like the Amex with an actual game for which
I hope will be the first of many.

When he asks to see the trophy room, will your excuse be that you have to get the train now?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
You come across as very mature and responsible for a five year old. I hope you enjoy your first Amex experience and don't worry if you lose your dad, you will more than likely find him at one of the numerous concourse bars!! With regards to the question about the main stands, if you don't mind your dad hearing some rather fruity language at times then he should be ok.
:thumbsup: :albion2:

I'd rather my dad didn't hear any 'fruity' language. He might repeat it at work and then I'll have to leave school to go and see his
boss and explain his behaviour.???

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Hope you and your son enjoy the game. As others have said if you are in no rush, hang about a bit, take a small football with you and have a kick about outside the ground afterwards (weather permitting). Go in to the club shop, get some chips and try to make a day off it. Much more likely to want to go back.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Be aware that the sun beats down on the family stands in the summer, and it looks like being a warm one tomorrow. You could try to relocate further back, and make sure that you take plenty of water, a cap of some description, and sun cream if their skin is at all susceptible to burning.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It does depend on what seats/stand you are in.
We are in the NW corner and leave at fulltime (inc injury time).
As we are at the right end for the station we jog to the station (3 mins) and get the 5:02 to Lewes.
I know you are going the other way but from the family stand it would not take any longer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here