Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a train form Gatwick advice please.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Beat me to it, unbelievable!!

Just buy a ticket at the machine and get on the next train. It really isn't difficult, confusing or hassle. The queue for tickets is about 2 minutes at worst.

Apparently that isn't possible so glad i didn't attempt to do it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why not ?

According to experienced users that have posted, the number of ticket machine available is limited and min 20 mins wait to get to use one !
Following a 9 hour flight I'm not wanting to piss around waiting to get a ticket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to experienced users that have posted, the number of ticket machine available is limited and min 20 mins wait to get to use one !
Following a 9 hour flight I'm not wanting to piss around waiting to get a ticket.

That's a long way from 'not possible'. 'Can be a bit irritating if it's busy' perhaps......but 'not possible' ? I've done it loads of times - as I'm sure have plenty of others arriving at a major international airport needing to travel onwards

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The queues depend entirely on the time of day. I've waited 20mins+ on a weekday evening around 5 going to London for a gig whereas I can usually walk up to a free machine instantly at 11am on a Saturday going to a game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What time does your flight get in? I've not counted the ticket machines at Gatwick because that would be just too strange, but would estimate there's about a dozen of them, maybe more, served by a reasonably fast moving single queue. The 20 mins minimum wait time is poppycock. Like I said further up your thread I've never had to wait anything like that amount of time in the past dozen or so I've bought a ticket there, and that includes arriving mid afternoon in the peak holiday season, and late evening the week before xmas when immigration queue was horrendously long, around an hour, but the ticket machine queueing was less than five minutes. Not quite sure how, mind. Oh, and not sure they've got them at Falmer, but the touch screens at most stations let you select the to and from stations you want your tickets for. Obviously the default is the station the ticket machine is standing in, but there's a button near the bottom that says something like 'Select Different Station' then you just key it in. Painless. Oh, and the single anytime tickets from Gatwick to Brighton from the machines cost £10.10. Or at least they did two months ago.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Because it so much grief for everyone, We always used to do this but you can't set down and wait like you used to, you have to park up and walk to terminal and wait.Ad its the North terminal which she is unfamiliar with, if its delayed etc etc, just as easy to jump on the Train, of if that too much stress can just jump in a cab.
We usually use the valet parking which was £80-90 (cheaper than a taxi each way) but due to works up there and limited space price has jumped to over £350 ! just to park a car.

Get her to pick you up at Atlantic House / Ashdown House. There is a set down area there.

For you, get the monorail back to the South Terminal. Head towards the Costa, which is by the arrivals exit in the South Terminal. Just past Costa is a door marked local buses etc, through that, down the stairs, once outside head towards the roundabout, Ashdown House will be on your left.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Since they introduced Oyster and contactless card payments (at the barrier) to London the ticket queues have massively reduced. It doesn't even fill up the queuing area much nowadays, no queues back into the terminal like there used to be on a bad day.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What time does your flight get in? I've not counted the ticket machines at Gatwick because that would be just too strange, but would estimate there's about a dozen of them, maybe more, served by a reasonably fast moving single queue. The 20 mins minimum wait time is poppycock. Like I said further up your thread I've never had to wait anything like that amount of time in the past dozen or so I've bought a ticket there, and that includes arriving mid afternoon in the peak holiday season, and late evening the week before xmas when immigration queue was horrendously long, around an hour, but the ticket machine queueing was less than five minutes. Not quite sure how, mind. Oh, and not sure they've got them at Falmer, but the touch screens at most stations let you select the to and from stations you want your tickets for. Obviously the default is the station the ticket machine is standing in, but there's a button near the bottom that says something like 'Select Different Station' then you just key it in. Painless. Oh, and the single anytime tickets from Gatwick to Brighton from the machines cost £10.10. Or at least they did two months ago.

We get in around 8 in the evening on a Friday night, Thanks for the good advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here