Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a bit fed up with 'reverse sexism' on the media (well the BBC actually)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the law, men cannot be raped.

I mean of course they can be in the real world, but most people seem to be checking out of that one.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Men can be raped and there are cases in court. Did you mean that a woman cannot rape a man?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think you're fishing.

If not, I think this says a lot more about you than it does about female sports journalists. You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, but I think you're on the wrong side of history with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Don't like fishing. Never have. Boring passtime sitting by the side of a pond all day.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another example (sorry to bang on about this - must be midlife crisis stuff) in today's 'I' newspaper. Female TV reviewer referring to Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs) as 'easy on the eye' and 'dishy as ever' and the headline refers to 'dreamboat Kevin'. I don't mind this in itself, but would it get past the editorial team if a male reviewer mentioned that a female presenter was a 'babe'?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
At least the ladies are tech-savvy enough to turn off Tapatalk on their postings!I expect their interviewees prefer a fragrant lady to a halitosis-harry :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This has been annoying me off for some time. This is where a woman presenter (typically on Radio 5) can say something about a bloke (or blokes in general) that would be unacceptable if reversed.

For example

1. Woman presenter taking the mick out of a male colleague who had 'man-flu'. Had he replied about 'time of the month' he'd doubtless be off the air rather quickly.

2. Today I was listening to Radio 4. The discussion was about Jeremy Corbin. The presenter said that Corbin was still odds-on favourite despite not getting the support of his wife (who will be voting for Smith). Can you imagine the response had it been a female politician standing and someone mentioned that her husband wasn't supporting her?

It's just a kind of double-standards thing.

Typical bloke eh?

I'm sure this has been done before, BUT:
-- congratulations on posting this on NSC, which has I'd estimate upwards of 90% males, as opposed to a board like mums net, which has upwards of 90% females on it. If you really believe in what you've said, go ahead and post it on mums net, that'd be the brave thing to do
-- your two examples are shockers: there's no comparison between the biological fact of menstruation and the cultural phenomenon of 'man-flu'; it was Corbyn's ex-wife that has indicated that she wouldn't vote for him

But, apart from that, brilliant post.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I am not a mum so will give mumsnet a miss. Don't really think that point is relevant - but quite possibly some mum's might agree with the underlying point.

So the previous examples might not have resonated with you but the first one was a reference to two 'gender based' put-downs one frequently used and one rightly unthinkable; and the second was (and you are right about the ex-wife) something that I just don't think would have been mentioned had it been a female politician/ex-husband.

However, what about the one from today's paper that I posted? Do you think that has any validity? As I said I don't actually mind these things being written/said (I wouldn't count myself as an unreconstructed sexist but perhaps I'm delusional) it's just the lack of 'equivalence' in the media that annoys me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sean Lock likened it to putting the TV on to watch a few pissed up guys chatting about nothing in the pub.

My DW watches it sometimes when she has the day off. I don't understand why anyone would watch that shit.

Sean Lock, a man who's career is based on talking to a few pissed up guys in a pub, ironically enough.

We're not really the target market are we? It's a bit like having a pop at kids TV for being dumbed down. There's plenty of people that think watching 22 people kick an inflated pig skin round a field is a bit ridiculous, you know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sean Lock, a man who's career is based on talking to a few pissed up guys in a pub, ironically enough.
Not really, he's a successful comedian.

We're not really the target market are we?
No we're not.
It's a bit like having a pop at kids TV for being dumbed down.
Not really, there are good kids TV shows and bad ones, and we can often see the pros and cons of each even if they're not our cup of tea. Likewise with TV for chicks, we can see if something's good or not without having to like watching it ourselves.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Same old story women want to be treated equal as long as it means they can treat men like slaves.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here